EPF Nomination Rules – Check, change or update nominee details

Many of us not aware the importance of EPF Nomination. If you not took it seriously, then better to understand the EPF Nomination rules at first. Then check nomination details and if changes required, then better to do the changes as and when it is required.

EPF Nomination Rules

What are the EPF Nomination rules? How often can we change the nominee? Let us understand these basics in detail.

# Your all EPF accounts must have the nomination. This makes easy fund transfer in case of your sudden demise.

# You can nominate more than one nominee and also fix the % of sharing among all such nominees.

# You must always nominate someone who can be considered as a family member. A non-family nominee is not valid.

# If you have no family, then you can nominate someone. However, once the member has a family the nomination should be transferred to the family member.

# If you nominated someone before marriage, then post marriage you have to update your spouse as a nominee. If you do not update then the nominations made before the marriage will be considered invalid. It is necessary to file new nominations, post marriage.

# In case a minor is a nominee, the guardian should be the family member. However, if there is no family member to become a guardian, then the employee can appoint a guardian from outside family.

# If there is no nomination the EPF amount would be equally distributed among family members. The sons who have attained maturity, sons of a deceased son who have attained maturity, married daughters whose husbands are alive and married daughters of a deceased son whose husbands are alive are not considered for such distribution.

# You can change the nomination as many times as you wish.

Rights of the nominee in EPF

What are the rights of the nominee in EPF? Whether the nominee will be the natural owner of the fund after the death of an employee? The answer is NO.

Nominee here acts just like a trustee. He has the rights to receive the EPF funds of the deceased employee. However, he has no rights to claim the ownership of the fund. The EPF fund should be then distributed to legal heirs of the employee as per the legal heir’s law.

This is the reason it is always best that EPF nomination should be your legal heir itself. Otherwise, you will create a legal tussle with your family in your absence.

How to check EPF Nomination details online?

Using the EPFO Unified portal, you can check the EPF Nomination details online. The process is simple.

# Login to Unified Portal.

# Under Manage Tab, you have to select the option e-Nomination.

# Once you click there, then you will find the nomination details linked to EPF accounts.

How to update or change EPF Nomination online?

# Visit Unified Portal. Login with your user credentials.

# Under “Manage” menu, you have to select “E-Nomination” option.

EPF Nomination update online

# Your details like UAN, Name, Date of Birth, gender etc., will be displayed. Here you have to provide your ‘Permanent Address’ details in the relevant field and click on Save button.

# Provide ‘yes’ to update Family Declaration. Then you will be asked to provide ‘Add Family Member(s)’ details. You have to provide details of your family members like their names, date of birth, relation and Address.

EPF Nomination add or delete online

# Now you have to nominate your family members for your EPF account. You may declare the total amount of share (%) among your nominees. In case, you would like to nominate only one member of your family as your nominee then you can declare 100% as the share.

# Then click on ‘Save EPF Nomination’ button.

# Now you have to approve your e-Nomination form through Aadhaar e-Sign (Sign is an online electronic signature service in India to facilitate an Aadhaar holder to digitally sign a document. The signature service is facilitated by authenticating the Aadhar holder via the Aadhar–based e-KYC (electronic Know Your Customer) service.) facility. Click on e-Sign button to generate OTP, which will be sent to your mobile number that is linked to your Aadhaar. Then enter the OTP, which you have received in your mobile phone. That’s it. You have completed the process of e-Nomination. You no need to send any physical document to your employer or ex-employer.

# However, if your Aadhaar is not linked to EPF, then you will get an error message as “AADHAAR authentication failed. Details available against this UAN are not matching with details available with UIDAI.” (Refer the post on how to link Aadhaar with EPF “How to link Aadhaar to EPF using online and offline?“.

Hope this much information is enough for all employees to know about the importance of EPF Nomination and how one can update it online.

1. Dear sir, my father was working a private concern and died two months before( 82 years). nomination registered in the name of ” thippammal” (while at the time of service in the private concern before 30 years) is my mothers who has 80 years old.In adhar, smart card and voter id is having in the name of singari. but the residential address is same in all documents. when we approached the Pensioners office they are requested proof for thippammal and singari is the same person. In our ESI CARD AND our father’s salary slip is having in the name of thippammal. Let me know the details about to transfer the pension amount to my mother account. give your valuable guideliness please. sampath kumar. 9865394515.

2. what is errorcode 1010 for e sign for nominee

• Dear Sairam,
      I am unaware of it. Better to approach the regional EPFO.

• Hi, friend to e sign for nominee, first we need to generate VID for our aadhar number to generate VID go to following link https://resident.uidai.gov.in/vid-generation and give your aadhar number and enter captcha then your VID sent to your register mobile number by Aadhar department after that mentioned that VID and do process asper information ask by EPFO site. Today I, have successfully completed my nomination. I wish you will be also complete your nomination with this information.

3. Click on e-Sign button for OTP, but system reqd Aadhar based VID and after that an error display e.i. “Error 1010 : Error while registering eSign” please advise.

4. I get Below error. please advise

5. I tried printing the form but it shows signature not verified at the bottom of the page what to do please help

6. Please advise how can I correct the adress of nominee after e-sign approved.

7. Dear Sir
    I need s one doubt family nomination details all saved and EPS mother and father not accepted wt to do sir and wt problem sir

• Dear Bhuvanes,
      I am not sure what went wrong. Better you raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

8. while verifying e sign error 1010 error come

• Dear Saniya,
      It may be due to technical glitch. Try after some time.

My Aadhar is linked with PF. But when I tryed for updating Nominee it shows as “AADHAAR authentication failed. Details available against this UAN are not matching with details available with UIDAI.”

How to proceed further !! Kindly revert.

• Dear Amritha,
      Raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

In PF portal my Husband name has been updated as “Father” by my previous employer. How to change this as “Husband” in relation status under PF portal? Please guide.

11. Sir bete ki mritu ke baad uske Provident Fund, gratuity, Leave encashment aur GSLI mein agar koi nominee na ho toh paise ka haqdaar kaun hoga?…saath mein reh rahe Maa aur avivaahit aur berojgaar bhai behen ya unki Patni jinka na toh voter list mein naam hai na hi rashan card mein aur na hi health card hai.

• Dear Rekha,
      If the nomination is not done, then the money will be distributed as per the legal heir rights.

• Sir bete ko agar Pita ki mrityu ke pashchaat pariwaar ke bharan poshan hetu compassionate ground par job mili ho aur agar us bete ki bhi mrityu ho jaye aur pariwaar ek baar phir besahara ho jaye toh bete ki gratuity, PF vagairah par Maa aur bhai behen ka haq hoga ya bete ki nisantaan patni ka jo bete ki mrityu ke baad pariwaar se alag rehti hai? PF aur Gratuity Act ke anusaar PF aur Gratuity par ghar ke kin sadasyon ka adhikaar hota hai?

• Dear Rekha,
          The first legal heir is wife, kids and then comes mother or brothers.

• Shukriya Sir.

12. I’ve filed for enomination and also esigned on the UAN portal. How much it will take now to approve it??

While adding Virtual ID for updating PF Nominee it is showing a error : “Error 1010 : Error while registering eSign”

• Dear Pinto,
      I think there may be certain issues with respect to the website. Better to try after a certain gap.

• Hello Basavaraj,
        I’m trying the same process now after 2 months and even after multiple attempts , I’m getting the same error message , Error 1010. Any update around this would be helpful. I believe, unless I’m able to do e-sign, my nomination history will not be updated (it’s empty), and my nomination details will keep showing under pending nomination. Please suggest.

• Dear Prashant,
          Raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

Once after saving the EPF nominee (Dependant mother), It is asking for EPS nominee !! {Since it’s not taking Dependant mother details for EPS} Who’s details can be updated as EPS Nominee ?

• Dear Melita,
      I think it will accept mother as a nominee. If not, then raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

• Thank you.

15. Can a female EPFO member appoint nominee as her husband currently this option is not available. Is it missed out or legally she cannot nominate her husband(spouse).
    Please reply.

16. I just have a doubt that what is Total amount of share (%)
    in epf nominee how much should i update

17. how many nominees should I mention?

18. I have recently joined new company on 01.06.19 and i want to transfer PF of my old company to new company. I tried to transfer but system is not allowing.

Please tell me is there any time boundation for transfer of PF i.e from date of new joining.

19. While filling e-nomination, system is asking bank details. All six banks which are mentioned in them nominee has no account. Can we put there joint account detail i.e joint account of pf holder and nominee.

20. Sir
    After successfully esigned enomination in pf, pdf shows that signature not verified or Invalid. why?

• Dear Prashant,
      Hard to answer for your WHY. Better to raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

21. Hi i m sunil i submitted nominee details aadhar is verified but the problem is nominee is incorrect it is possible to correct the nominee now when aadhar is verified and how please do favour of this

• Dear Sunil,
      Yes, you can change the nominee as and when you need using Unified portal of EPFO.

22. PLEASE CLEATR ERROR NO.1010 WHILE E-SIGNING NOMINATION IN EPF

• Dear Jessy,
      Hard to predict. Better to raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

23. Sir
    After successfully esigned enomination in pf, pdf shows that signature not verified. why?

24. You need to modify e signing portion. Nowadays, it requires a virtual ID to be generated and submitted for e-signing. I am unable to do, as there is no guidance on Internet so far

While doing E-Nomination on UAN Portal, after filling Family Details (Name, Relation, Address, Photo) and while pressing “Save Family Details” it is giving me error –
    “Error while saving family details. Please try after some time. ”
    I tries multiple time in few weeks, still same error.
    Can someone please help??

• I got the same error. Tried mozilla and chrome. Are you able to resolve the issue, Rohi?

• I got the error while entering relationship as “Dependent Mother”. Then I changed it to “Mother” and it worked.

26. I have added my family details as nominee and saved the epf nominations too, but still no any e-sign tab is showing on the dashboard. kindly tell me when i will be able to approve my nominee when i have already saved the details of the same.

• Dear Nagmani,
      It seems there is an issue with the portal. Better to try after few days.

• It’s Ok, But Is there any other path/procedure to upload epf nominee details then kindly suggest me.

27. While registering through esign method it’s asking for Virtual ID which was generated through aadhar website. Even then it gives an error ‘Error 1010: Error while registering esign’

• Dear Chetan,
      It may be a certain technical glitch. Try after some time.

• Hello Basav,
        What is error 1010? Why am I getting it during e-sign?

• Dear Sivasankaran,
          Hard to say. Better you raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell online.

28. Even after completing AADHAR linking with EPF same message display in EPF portal.

29. I am not able to view my nomination details. it gives error “AADHAAR authentication failed. Details available against this UAN are not matching with details available with UIDAI.”
    but when i checked for KYC details , my aadhar is verified by UIDAI.
    what is solution for this.

• Dear Mahajan,
      Raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

30. I am trying to update the Nominee and when I selected the nominee from the list of the family, the “Total amount of share (%)” field is still in Grey mode and is not allowing me to enter the percentage. What could be the reason

• Dear Venugopal,
      Not sure as it may be a technical glitch. Better to raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

While am doing e sign for approve nominee details, getting notification message “e-sign up gradation is under process !!” please suggest me on it as am unable to do e sign

• Dear Khadar,
      I think they are upgrading the site. Please wait.

32. OTP not received for e-nomination. Pls advise.
    Process of e-nomination , i feed complete details of the same and save it. Then press for e-digitally signature but still OTP not recieved.

My father has epf account and from the starting of pension he was deducting of its pensionable money for my mother. Unfortunately, my mother expired in 2014 and recently I came to know about the pension money which is still deducting in the name of my mother.
    1) Please let me know how can my father claim all that money which has been deducted in my mother’s name.
    2) My father is enrolled in PATNA.

Waiting for your kind suggestions and comments.
    Rupesh

• Dear Rupesh,
      It is best to approach the regional EPFO to sort out the issues.

34. I have a query.Though I am married,I want to keep my parents as nominee of PF account.If I change my marital status to ” Married”,can I still add my parents only in e-nomination?

• Dear Basavaraj,
        Is there any way in e-nomination to nominate someone else other than my wife?

• Dear Ravi,
          Even if you nominate someone else, then by default your wife will be the first legal heir and nominees just act as trustee to transfer money (except LIFE INSURANCE).

35. During e nomination lastli on clicking esign meesage ” esign upgradation under process” is notified and the nomination is still pending.Please advise

• Dear Vijaykumar,
      It is a procedural matter and hence raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

36. Dear Basavaraj.
    While updating nomination details under e-Nomination option, you have elsewhere advised first providing address and to SAVE, before we see the screen for updating family details.
    While trying to save address, it shows ” Marital status Not Provided.
    Marital Status must be available”.
    Please advise

• Dear Alok,
      Yes, first you have to update your marital status (if it is not possible to update online, then update the same through your employer).

37. my aadhar details is still pending approval since i cldnt add my bank details.this is happening with my second epfo account.my first accnt have approved aadhar details.i need to make it as one.can you give a solution?

38. OTP is not being received for digitally signing of deceleration again E-nomination while AADHAR is linked to UAN and also the same number is linked on member portal as well as on AADHAR. No error message is also shown.

• Dear Ram,
      There may be some issue with EPFO portal. Try after some time.

How to update my marital status in EPF account. there is no option enable to update for the same.

Actually my old mobile number is linked to my Aadhaar so in this case its not possible to e-verify the Nominee update.
    Is there any other process to verify or some other approch?

• Pls update your mobile number with AADHAR

41. Hi Basu,

How can we update the marital status and i dont see the option for “Having Family”?

Whom should i contact to get these updated.

Pradeep

• Dear Pradeep,
      First you have to update the address, then save the same. After this process only you can see the family choosing option.

42. I get Below error. please advise

• Prabhu-I think there are some data mismatch. Hence, better to correct and then try to link.