September 11, 2017

How to find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO details?

Whenever you have any Income Tax issues, then you have to contact your Jurisdictional Assessing Offer or AO. How to find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO? Also, how to contact him?

Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO meaning

Assessing Officer or AO is an individual officer appointed by Income Tax Department. An assessing Officer or AO is a person who has jurisdiction to make an assessment of an assessee or tax payer, who is liable to tax under the Act. His designation may vary according to the volume of income or nature of trade as assigned by the Board. He may be called as an Income-Tax Officer or Assistant Commissioner of Income-Tax or Deputy Commissioner of Income-Tax or Joint Commissioner of Income-Tax or Additional Commissioner of  Income-Tax.

Now you may know the importance of knowing your Assessing Officer or AO. He has jurisdiction over assessees in a specific geographical area of your city, town, or over a specific class of assessees. He is the one who allots you the PAN card. Also, it is his responsibility to ensure timely collection of tax and issue refunds from all tax payers.

He randomly selects few cases and scrutinizes the tax filed status. If he found anything wrong, then he issues the notice. An AO can impose and waive penalties, as per her discretion. Also, it is his responsibility to address and resolve the grievances of tax payer within his jurisdictional area.

When to contact the Income Tax Assessing Officer of AO?

When you file the IT Return, then IT department will either accept it or issue the tax demand notice or some clarifications from you. If you agree and pay the additional tax demanded, then the issue will resolve there itself.

However, you have some disputes against the notice or to communicate your clarification to IT Department, then you have to contact the AO.

Usually, your issues will be replied within 30 days. However, if you not receive any reply or not satisfied with AO response, then you can approach to the higher level officer like the chief commissioner of income tax with copies of your previous communications with the AO.

If the commissioner of income tax still does not reply to your complaint within 30 days or if the complaint is not addressed to as per your satisfaction, then you can escalate the issue to the income tax ombudsman of your region. You can find the details of your area Income Tax Ombudsman HERE. If you are still not satisfied, you can also approach the court.

How to find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO?

There are two ways one can find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO. One is by logging to your account and another without login. Whatever may be the process, you will get the details like Area Code, AO Type, Range Code, AO Number, Jurisdiction, Building Name, Email Id, and Status.

Do remember that to speak to your income tax assessing officer you can call income tax helpline number and they will provide you the contact no.

Method 1-How to find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO without login?

You can find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO details without login now. The steps are as below.

# Step 1

Visit e-Filing Portal Home Page. Then click on the AO link of “Know Your PAN|TAN|A.O“.

find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO

# Step 2-Enter your PAN number and the registered mobile number and click on “Submit” tab.

Know your jurisdictional AO

# Step 3

Next, IT Department will send you PIN to your registered mobile number. You have to enter the same as below.

Know your jurisdictional AO enter PIN

# Step 4

Then you will see your AO details as below.

PAN Card AO details

Method 2-How to find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO with login?

# Step 1-Visit the eFiling portal and login to your account.

find Income Tax Jurisdictional Assessing Officer or AO with login

# Step 2– Next step is to click on Profile Settings and under the drop down menu, select “My Profile”.

Find Income Tax AO

# Step 3-Now under PAN details you will find Income Tax Assessing Officer or AO.

Income Tax AO details

Hope this information may be helpful for all.

1. Sir, I have paid an advance tax of Rs.7315 and filed my IT returns. After I got an intimation from the IT department I have filed a revised return (after adjustments) on 14/11/2019. As per the adjustments the net tax payable was was Rs.620/- and I paid it on the same day by online payment (through the link Pay Tax).

Now they have sent another intimation letter along with a challan to pay Rs.620 again. I have already paid the said amount, what should I do now? I have no other documents except my bank statement to show that this amount is debited from account (it shows debit to NSDL Tax Debit-507731000000181). Can I upload the bank statement in spite of the challan to prove that I have already made the payment demanded by them?

Please guide me,
    Thank you.

• Dear Preethi,
      Better to wait or reply with the Bank Statement transaction image.

I have filed my income tax by August 2019, as per current status it is e-verified but till i am not getting by refund. please guide when i will get my refund or what should i have to do further for getting refund.

3. I have obtained details of AO but email id field is blank and no email id is provided. Now how can I contact. Pls help.

• Dear Chl,
      Call to IT Dept and find the contact details of a particular AO.

4. HOW TO CONTACT THE AO, IS THERE ANY MAIL ID OR PHONE NUMBER AVAILABLE SIR?

I Have filed my ITR on 28-06-2019 and e-verified successfully on the same day. Still i have not received my refund. Shall i contact to AO or wait.

6. Sir, Thanks for the info. I filed my ITR 45 days ago. Still it is showing

Note : Please contact your Assessing Officer.

But previous year i have received my refund within 20 days.
    What should i do now? Can i raise grievance in portal ?

7. Dear Sir, Thanks for Information. I am salaried person hence all tax deduction are at source. In year 2013-14(Ass year 2014-15) I had filled tax on income other than salaries through a challan and by mistake selected wrong major/minor head (24). Rectification filing not worked. I files grievance and they replied that I must get it corrected to 21 manually through AO, and then file rectification. As i reside in Gurgaon and my AO jurisdiction is Mumbai I had send a mail to AO with attached copy of all documents. But no response. How should I proceed to close this.

• Dear Rajan,
      If they not respond to your email, then no option but to raise an issue with IT Dept.

8. Dear Sir, thanks this is very useful info.. I am waiting for my refund for AY 17-18..it is accepted but awaiting approval for fund release I think fro AO.. should I contact my AO or wait.. it is more than a year now I am very frustrated with IT department.. please suggest

9. Dear BASU,

Thanks for the above article.

I filed IT return on 17th july 2018 after submitting challan 280 (300/21) on same date for amount 7000/- I gave BSR code, challan sno. amount every thing correctly . It also got updated in Form 26AS after few days .
    I got Demand notice under section 143(1) of same amount in Nov. where ITR processing date is 10-oct-2018 .

I filed a rectification request under Tax credit mismatch only. But again i got Demand notice under section 154 saying -> details of challan not found in our records.
    On 1st Dec 2018 i logged into incometax website and clicked Disagree with Demand -> challan paid but CIN not available and uploaded soft copy of Challan 280 . I see that its status is not changed.
    I got bit worried and then re login in January and Disagree with demand -> Demand paid and CIN available and filled all details .

But i see , there has not been any action taken by IT deptt. on my last two actions. I have all the proofs , updated Form 26AS is also showing self assessment details .

what should i do ?
    I have come to know a finance service provider in my area that unless CPC does not transfer case to AO, one can not approach AO officer.

Please advice , what can be done ?

Subuhi

First of all, thank you for providing such an informative blog.

My father had filed the ITR for the year 2016-2017. He even received intimation 143 by August 2017.
    However, in Oct 2017, my father passed away while waiting for a refund. The online refund status still shows the following message :

Note : Please contact your Assessing Officer.

should we contact the AO as in my father’s profile?

Thanks for your response.
    HS

11. Good evening sir,
    While checking for income tax refund status, its showing that AO has not sent the refund to refund banker.
    Shall i need to contact AO or shall i wait?
    Dr Rajat

12. Sir , my tex has been deducted in the assessment year of 14-15 (actually my PAN was not registered that time) . after registration I’ve filed ITR in aug15. Bt they says file transfer to AO.
    And no more information about it.
    What can i do for my additional deductions?

• Sir its possible or not ,cause many says its too late now?
        It can be refundable?

13. Sir my itr 1 File 25/06/2018 But I have Not Received Refund
    Pls Sir Reply me what is Problem
    I have all ready E verified 25/06/2018
    but not processed

14. Hello Mr. Basavraj,
    Thanks for the very useful information.
    I have filed my returnd on time. But My refund status says –
    Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker.If this refund has been sent by your Assessing Officer within the last week, you may wait for a week and again check status.Note:-
    Please contact your Assessing Officer.

What do u suggest ? Should I personally go and approach the AO at the mentioned office ?

The information was really helpful.I got the AO details and mailed him.
    I need to get return for the year 2009 & 2010.I have copy of the filed ITR.Will they process old returns?

• Dear Aruna,
      Yes, if you are eligible to file such late returns within the rules.

16. Sir, as per income tax status my income tax refund could not be credited to my bank account due to wrong banking information in the ITR. Please let me know how to correct the banking information in the ITR form, so that, the refund is credited by you in my bank account. For your information the bank account is same as that of last year . Kindly advise. Usha Kaushal Mb 9876142500.

• Dear Usha,
      If your bank details are same like last year (if you received the refund properly last year), then how can you say now that there are errors?

17. Dear sir
    My ITR filled in 26jul2018 but my TDS amount not send to my bank..jb ki mera last years ka TDS under 15days aa gya tha same account me

• Dear Rohit,
      Some times it may take time. However, in the meantime, you can contact your AO.

18. Hi i have seen my status of last year(AY 17-18) tax refund transfered to AO. i was in UK for that period. some one can guide me when will i get my refund or do i need to furnish any documents

• Dear Venkat,
      If your bank details are updated, then you receive the refund amount to your registered bank account.

19. The email id of my Jurisdictional AO is blank. So how do i contact?

20. Thanks a lot !!

21. Hello Sir!

I have not filed my ITR from 4 years. How can I do it now?
    How much penalty do I have to pay?

• Thanks for the quick reply! I forgot to mention that I have paid the taxes. I just did not file my ITR. Does the same link help me here?

I got below response from ITO after 9 months of struggle in contacting them.

Sir, this is to bring to your kind notice that the rights for processing the Returns for A.Y 2017-18 has not been enabled to the Assessing Officers as of now. Hence, as soon as the same is enabled in the System, your Return will be processed

Could you please explain what it means?

Duli Chand

I got below response from ITO after 8 months of struggle in contacting them.

Could you please explain what it means?

Mastan vali

• Mastan-Hard to say without knowing the details. Better to contact the AO.

24. I have been informed as “Kindly be informed that your application have been marked for core duplicate resolution by Income Tax Department (ITD), so we request you to kindly contact local Assessing Officer (AO) and surrender the additional PAN.”

Queries
    1. Do I need to personally visit the AO?
    2. I do not have any physical card of the additional PAN. The other PAN was inadvertently applied/issued BUT NOT used.
    3. Can I email or do any process online for this?
    4. What will happen after this is done?
    5. I had actually submitted for surrender online itself, but no response was received.

• Thanks Basavaraj.

Request your response to the query 4 too.
        Thanks in advance

i filed my ITR in July 2017 and my status is still shows as transferred to AO.

i sent many mail to the email address for clarification but no response.

i also raised e_nivaran request and all are closed saying contact AO.

could you please suggest what to do?

• Yes sir..I have sent mails to AO as well..but no response

• Mastan-Then either wait or plan to meet personally to the concerned AO Office.

• Is there any way to get his contact number, so that I can call and go before visiting AO

• Mastan-Google the office address. You may find the office contact.

26. Hi Mr. Basavaraj,

I have been informed as “Kindly be informed that your application have been marked for core duplicate resolution by Income Tax Department (ITD), so we request you to kindly contact local Assessing Officer (AO) and surrender the additional PAN.” I have tried tracing the AO thru my PAN, it has shown as Tirupathi, do I need to contact Tirupathi AO or local AO is also fine? Please advise.

27. how I can get contact details . I received the AO type and range code.. but not able to track the contact deatils for AO.Please help me.

• Aradhana-Whether you are not identified the email details also by following above process?

28. Sir, I have submitted my ITR V was received by IT department in August 2017 for 2017-18. But till date I have not received TDS refund. Please advise.

29. Hi Sir , mera TDs refund nhi huaa he. 4 month ho Chuka h . Kab tak ho jayega please.

• Brajmohan-It depends on case to case. If that not happens, then approach AO.

My refund status says “Your assessing officer has not sent this refund to Refund Banker”. What does this mean?

31. Hi Sir

I have not gotten credit for the self assesment tax I paid this year, because I paid it under the wrong major and minor head. I have been told to contact AO jurisdiction for correction. Can this happen over email? Or do I have to send a letter through post? I have all relevant documents in place.

32. Sir can i directly make a call instead of mail communication with my zonal AO

33. Sir i received intimation u/s 143 for 2017-2018 on 11th october 2017, but still now iam not received refund amount, may i know the processing time of refund from the date of intimation u/s 143 i received.

34. Thank you very much for the blog! It helped me understand what AO means and how to check for the same.

35. Hi sir my itr was received on July month but still it’s not processed. Those who filed before me got refund with in 15-20days.online it’s saying to contact the AO. Is there any issues with the itr form or it’s delayed form itr.
    Please help me sir.

Pradyumna

• Pradyumna-Instead of assuming on your own, better to contact AO.

36. Hi sir i have sent an email to my AO to correct A.Y. Year for challan along with challan copy and letter which i also sent in physical format.

I have not received any response till now. When i cheked on online portal in my 26AS form it is updated against A.Y. 2016-2017 as in challan i made mistake .

My AO office is in mumbai and i am in bangalore .

Could you please suggest is their any other way where i need not to visist AO physically.

37. Hi sir I have filled income tax return for 2017 to 2018 for my TDs amount claim , still 3 months happened no intimation about processing and no mesg received , in CA office they checked in website its showing that its in process , still confused pls help

• Sir this is first time so much time has been taken by , earlier I have gotten TDs amount in 1 month

38. I have changed my place of residence to a different state and have duly updated and got changed my adress on PAN card. But I am finding the AO to be of the old place only. Do AO’s change with change of adress? If so when do they change (is it like it will get reflected in next assesment year)

• Suresh-Usually it will not. Hence, you have to request your AO to change the AO as your residential address also changed.

• is it really necessary to get AO changed. As honest tax payer I dont mind my returns are assessed by anyone. Just asking. Does it really matter?

39. Sir, my return submitted on July 2017. My PAN No is AAAAAAAAAA and my DT of Birth is 23 Apr 1977. Sir please credit the amount earliest please due to festival season came in front of door .

• Animesh-Please understand one severity that never ever share your personal details on such public platform. Hence, I removed your PAN number. Also, I have not authorized IT Dept person. Contact IT officials for the same but not ME.

40. very informative information to find your AO never thought that one can interact with AO

41. I am residing in a different city while my PAN card is from my hometown. Shall I get my addesss in PAN changed to change the AO to my current city (which would help answer for any queries/notices locally). Kindly suggest?
    Thanks!

• Thanks as always for your suggestions!

My wife filed her incometax return for the fy 2016-17, online. Ackownledgemennt received and e verified on 21.6.17. She did not rceive intimation u/s 143. No refund was made. On search in the incometax website. itevealed that no order is pending. No notice was revived. Pl. Guidee for the next move.

• Thank you.

• Sir, I sent a mail to the concerned A. O. He immediate replied that my wife’s itr was pricessed and also forwarded a copy of the 143(1)statement. I sincerely thank you for your guidence.

Sankarasubramanianian.