Income Tax Refund Status AY 2019-20 – How to check online? Once you file your IT Return, then may of taxpayers breathlessly look for their IT Refund. If the refund not happened within taxpayers expectation, some may feel sleepless nights 🙂
Let us understand the process of how the Income Tax Refund processed and how to check your Income Tax Refund Status AY 2019-20.
What is the Income Tax Refund?
An income tax refund means the receving excess tax paid by you with respect to your actual tax liability.
It is determined by Income Tax authorities after processing your IT Return for the respective FY.
Who are eligible for IT Refund?
Below are the certain conditions where you will be eligible for Income Tax Refund.
# If you paid the more tax than the actual tax liability during your IT Return.
# If TDS deducted for you is more than your actual tax liability.
# If your income is taxed in a foreign country and also in India, then you can claim for refund.
# If you have not declared investment or expenses, which are eligible for tax deduction at the time of TDS deduction by your employer.
# If you paid the more advance tax than your actual liability.
# You have to file the IT return online.
How to claim Income Tax Refund?
There is no such different process for this. You just have to file your IT return. But make sure that you e-verified your ITR within 120 days of filing ITR. If you not e-verify, then your ITR will not be processed and resulting in no refund.
If IT Department software picks your IT return at the earlier, then you will get the refund at the earliest. Otherwise, there may be a delay in getting the refund. However, usually, it takes around 40-45 days from the date of e-verification to get the refund.
Do note that, while crediting the refund, IT Dept will send you an intimation about the tax refund to your registered mobile number and Email ID.
Note:-To get the refund, it is now mandatory to validate your Bank Account. I have written a detailed procedure on this and you can refer the same at “How to Pre-Validate Bank Account to receive Income Tax Refund?“.
How many years Income Tax Refunds can be claimed?
The return for claiming the refund of excess taxes paid can be filed within a period of two years from the end of the financial year for which claim the refund relates.
For example, there was excess TDS for the financial year ended 31-03-2019, for which the due date is 31st July 2019, you can still file your income tax return for claiming the refund of excess TDS by 31st March 2021.
But, if you have a refund due for the years preceding the aforesaid year and you forgot to file an income tax return for those years, then you can take respite of CBDT Circular No: 9/2015 to get a refund for previous six assessment years.
In order to ensure that your application to excuse the delay is accepted, you need to satisfy certain conditions. The income in respect of which the refund is being claimed should not be includible in the income of any other persons. The claim for refund should have arisen due to TDS, of payment of advance tax or self-assessment tax.
Usually, you are eligible for interest on the amount of refund if there is a delay in refund in case you have filed the IT Return within two years from the end of the FY. However, in case you avail this 6 years excuse of delay, then you are not eligible for interest on the refund. Because the delay is from your end.
To avail this benefit of the above circular, you need to make an application to the relevant authority depending upon the amount of refund. There is no specific format of application prescribed. Hence, you can write it in a paper and submit to the authorized person. Also, there is no specific process explained.
# If Refund for any Assessment Year is less than Rs.10 lakh-Principal Commissioner/Commissioner of Income Tax.
# If Refund for any Assessment Year is more than Rs.10 lakh but less than Rs.50 lakh-Principal Chief Commissioner of Income Tax/Chief Commissioner of Income Tax.
# If Refund for any Assessment Year is more than Rs.50 Lakh-CBDT (Central Board of Direct Tax).
Income Tax Refund Status AY 2019-20 – How to check online?
By now you might have understood the meaning and who can claim the refund. Now let us go ahead and understand the process of how to check online your Income Tax Refund Status AY 2019-20.
You can check Income Tax Refund Status AY 2019-20 online by using the below methods.
- Check your Income Tax Refund Status by visiting the TIN-NSDL Website.
- Check your Income Tax Refund Status by visiting the eFiling
1. Check your Income Tax Refund Status by visiting the TIN-NSDL Website.
- Visit TIN-NSDL webiste of Income Tax Refund status check online facility.
- Enter your PAN and select the relevant assessment year (for FY 2018-19, AY is 2019-20) and enter the captcha code.
- Click on the Submit button.
2. Check your Income Tax Refund Status by visiting the eFiling
On the eFiling website, you can check the Income Tax Refund Status in two ways.
- Without Login
- With Login
Check your Income Tax Refund Status by visiting the eFiling without Login
- Visit the Income Tax Department eFiling Website.
- Select the ITR Status option (as shown in the above image), which appears on the home page of eFiling website.
- Enter your PAN, ITR Acknowledgement Number, Captcha Code and Click on Submit button.
- You will get to know your refund status.
Check your Income Tax Refund Status by visiting the eFiling with Login
- Log in to e-Filing portal account by your User ID and Password.
- From the dashboard, click on the second option “View Returns/ Forms” and then select the option “Income Tax Return”.
- Now, you will see the list of all ITRs you have filed. Click on the Acknowledgement Number. Here, every information related to your ITR will be shown. Also, the status of income tax refund will be visible.
The status of your income tax refund gets updated after a period of 10 days from the date when the IT Department sends the refund to the bank. The banker for the Department is SBI bank.
What is the mode of payment of Income Tax Refund?
The ‘Refund Banker scheme’ facilitates the transmission of refunds generated on processing of Income-tax Returns by CPC-Bangalore/AO to State Bank of India, CMP branch (Refund Banker) for further distribution to taxpayers.
Refunds are being sent in the following two modes:
- RTGS / NECS: To enable credit of refund directly to the bank account, Taxpayer’s Bank A/c, MICR code/IFSC code of bank branch and correct communication address is mandatory.
- Paper Cheque: Bank Account No and correct address is mandatory.
Interest on Income Tax Refund
Section 244A deals with interest on income tax refund and provides for interest at the rate of 0.5% per month or part of the month on the refund amount. I have explained the interest rate period calculation through the below image for your easy reference.
Various types of Income Tax Refund Statuses
Below are the few examples of various types of Income Tax Refund Statuses and the meanings of the same.
- No e-filing has been done-You had either not filed your return or filed manually.
- Refund is already credited to your bank, please contact your bank-Refund has been processed and credited to your Bank Account.If your refund has not been credited, then contact State Bank of India.Address: SBIFAST 31, Mahal Industrial Estate, Off Mahakali Caves Road, Andheri East, Mumbai – 400 093.Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Toll-free Number: 1800 425 9760.
- Refund cheque has already been encashed-Your income tax refund process is complete and it has been credited to your Bank Account and the same has been encashed.If your refund has not been credited, then contact State Bank of India.Address: SBIFAST 31, Mahal Industrial Estate, Off Mahakali Caves Road, Andheri East, Mumbai – 400 093.Email: email@example.com Toll-free Number: 1800 425 9760.
- Refund Not Determined- The account number provided by you was incorrect. You are requested to apply for refund reissue by providing the correct account number to claim your refund.
- Defective return u/s 139(9)-Your return has been treated as the defective Return. For exact reason, you can check this in your income tax website user account.
- ITR Processed but need to submit rectification request-Mismatch in the calculation of department and you. For this you may receive intimation from the department to submit once again your calculation sheet.
- Return submitted. Processing rights transferred to Jurisdiction Assessing Officer-Your return will be processed by your Jurisdictional Assessing Officer (AO). Please contact AO for further details.
- Return Submitted and not verified-Your return has been submitted successfully but it has not been e-verified either through post or online mode. Further, until and unless you verify your return, it would not be processed by the income tax department. So, please verify within 120 days from the date of filing.
- Return Processed with No Demand and No Refund-Your return has been processed successfully without any additional tax payable or refund due. Further, you can check the details from the intimation received u/s 143(1) on your mail id.
- Return Processed and tax Demand determined-Your Income has been assessed by the Income tax department from your filed ITR and tax payable amount has been determined.
- Return Processed. Refund determined and sent to Refund Banker-Your refund claim has been forwarded to the refund banker for processing.
- Return Processed and Refund returned Unpaid-Income tax department has sent a refund to you but either your address is wrong or bank details provided are incorrect, due to which refund was not processed.
- e-Return for this PAN and Acknowledgement Number has been Digitally signed-Your return has been filed successfully and it is digitally signed.
- Return Submitted and under processing-Your Income-tax Return is still not processed.
- Return Processed and Refund Paid-Your return as well as refund has been processed successfully and refund has been credited in your bank account.
- Return Submitted and verified-Your return has been submitted and successfully verified.
- Invalid Return-Your return has been treated as Invalid return by the Income Tax Department. You need to file your return again in this case.
- Return Processed and Rectification Rights Transferred to Assessing Officer-Your return has been processed. However, for rectification, you need to contact Assessing Officer as the rectification rights have been transferred by CPC.
- Return Processed. Refund adjusted against demand-If any previous amount outstanding by the department, then the department will adjust the amount you owed in the current year’s refund.
Where do I contact for Income Tax Refund?
For any refund related query, the taxpayer should contact Aayakar Sampark Kendra Toll-Free No. 1800-180-1961 or email at refunds firstname.lastname@example.org
For refund related query or any modification in refund record relating to return processed at CPC Bangalore, the same may be contacted on Toll-free Number 1800-425-2229 or 080-43456700.
For any payment related query, the taxpayer should contact SBI Contact Centre Toll-Free No. 1800-425-9760.
After going through the above post, the simple thing you have to keep it in mind that file your IT Returns within the due date. If possible file it as early as possible. This will surely make you easy to get the refund at the earliest.