December 17, 2018

NPS Tax Benefits 2019 – Sec.80CCD(1), 80CCD(2) and 80CCD(1B)

Do you know the changed NPS Tax Benefits 2019? How NPS will be taxed under different IT Sections like  Sec.80CCD(1), 80CCD(2) and 80CCD(1B)?

NOTE:-Refer the latest post with respect to NPS Tax Benefits 2020 after the recent changes in Budget 2020-“NPS Tax Benefits 2020 – Sec.80CCD(1), 80CCD(2) and 80CCD(1B)“.

Recently Government of India changed certain rules related to NPS. Long back, I have already written a post regarding NPS Tax Benefits. However, considering the recent changes, I thought to write a fresh post.

Let us discuss the NPS Tax Benefits at the time of investment and also at the time of withdrawal.

Earlier NPS was treated as an EET (Exempt-Exempt-Taxed) status product. Now it turned to be EEE (Exempt-Exempt-Exempt) status product. EEE means you will get certain tax benefits at the time of investment. The returns or the growth during the period of investment is not taxable. Also, now the maturity amount is also tax free (with certain conditions).

Before this new rule came into picture, out of the final corpus, 40% has to be annuitized (you have to buy a pension or annuity plan from Life Insurance Companies), 40% was tax-free and 20% was taxable as per the applicable slab at that time.

Hence, whatever 60% you withdraw from the accumulated corpus will now be tax free. However, the rest 40% is go towards annuity (which is currently taxed as per your tax slab).

NPS Tax Benefits while investing

First, let us understand the NPS tax benefits while investing.  I tried to explain the same from below image. Remember that tax benefits under Tier 1 and Tier 2 are not available for all investors. Tier 2 tax benefits are available only for Government Employees. (Refer the post related to difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 of NPS at “Difference between Tier 1 and Tier 2 Account in NPS“. For others, there are no tax benefits if you invest in Tier 2 Account of NPS.

NPS Tax Benefits 2019 - Sec.80CCD(1), 80CCD(2) and 80CCD(1B)

Let us discuss one by one as below.

NPS Tax Benefits while investing in Tier 1 Account

NPS Tax Benefits under Sec.80CCD (1)

• The maximum benefit available is Rs.1.5 lakh (including Sec.80C limit).
  • An individual’s maximum 20% of annual income (Earlier it was 10% but after Budget 2017, it increased to 20%) or an employee’s (10% of Basic+DA) contribution will be eligible for deduction.
  • As I said above, this section will form the part of Sec.80C limit.

NPS Tax Benefits under Sec.80CCD (2)

• There is a misconception among many that there is no upper limit for this section. However, the limit is least of 3 conditions. 1) Amount contributed by an employer, 2) 10% of Basic+DA (For Central Government Employees it is now 14% of Basic+DA effective from 1st April 2019) and 3) Gross Total Income.
  • This is additional deduction which will not form the part of Sec.80C limit.
  • The deduction under this section will not be eligible for self-employed.

NPS Tax Benefits under Sec.80CCD (1B)

• This is the additional tax benefit of up to Rs.50,000 eligible for income tax deduction and was introduced in the Budger 2015
  • Introduced in Budget 2015. One can avail the benefit of this Sect.80CCD (1B) from FY 2015-16.
  • Both self-employed and employees are eligible for availing this deduction.
  • This is over and above Sec.80CCD (1).

NPS Tax Benefits while investing in Tier 2 Account

Earlier there was no income tax benefit if you invest in Tier 2 Account. However, due to Government of India changed rules, if Central Government Employee contribute towards Tier 2 Account, then he can claim the tax benefits under Sec.80C (Combined maximum limit under Sec.80C will be Rs.1.5 lakh ONLY). Also, if someone availed such tax benefits, then the invested money will be locked for 3 years (exactly like ELSS Mutual Funds).

How much maximum NPS Tax Benefits available while investing?

For Self-Employed

The maximum benefit you can avail under Sec.80CCD (1) is Rs.1,50,000 (including Sec.80C limit). Along with this Rs.50,000 under Sec.80CCD (1B). So total maximum benefit an individual can avail is Rs.2 lakh (where Rs.1.5 lakh will be part of Sec.80C limit).

Even though on paper it looks like maximum benefit available will be Rs.2 lakh. But under Sec.80C, you will have lot of choices and few default options to save (like life insurance premium or PPF). Hence, never be in wrong belief that NPS will ALONE gives you Rs.2 lakh tax benefit.

For salaried

You can avail the tax benefit under Sec.80CCD (1)+Sec.80CCD (1B) up to Rs.2 lakh. Along with that, you have another additional option to claim deduction under Sec.80CCD (2), which is unlimited and based on certain conditions. I explained the same in my above post.

The major benefit for Central Government employees comes here only. Because earileri Government used to contribute 10% of Basic+DA, which is now increased to 14% of Basic+DA.

One more additional benefit for Central Government employees that they can invest in NPS Tier 2 account and claim the deduction under Sec.80C (even though the Sec.80C limit is also the part of Sec.80CCD (1)). But the combined limit is Rs.1,50,000 only).

NPS Tax Benefits – While withdrawing

Assume that you accumulated Rs.100. In this, you have to buy an annuity for Rs.40 from Life Insurance Companies. They will pay you the pension as per the option you have choosen. This pension is taxable as per your income tax slab.

Now the remaining Rs.60 is completely Tax-Free.

Note-As per Budget 2017, the subscriber whose NPS account is at least 10 years old will be eligible for withdrawing 25% of his/her contributions (without accrued income earned thereon). This 25% withdrawal will be part of total 60% withdrawal (which is tax-free).

NPS Taxation on Pre-mature withdrawal

In this case, you are allowed to buy an annuity product from the 80% of accumulated corpus. So there is no confusion here as the annuity will be taxable income for you year on year.

The confusion is about 20% lump sum withdrawal. IT Department need to come out with clarity. The rules just say 40% of lump sum withdrawal from NPS is tax-free. However, in this particular case the lump sum investment is 20%.

Hence, whether the whole 20% is tax-free (as it is less than 40% tax-free limit) or 40% of 20% is only tax-free (i.e. 8% from 20%). As of now, there is no clarity on this aspect.

NPS Taxation on Partial withdrawal

Partial withdrawal from NPS is allowed on certain conditions. I explained the same in my post “Latest NPS Withdrawal Rules 2018“.

There is no clarity about the tax treatment relating to this partial withdrawal. However, I feel suchpartial withdrawal will be taxed in the year of withdrawal as per subscriber’s income tax slab.

NPS Taxation in the event of death of subscriber

For Government Employees-Nominee will be allowed to withdraw only 20% lump sum. The nominee must purchase the annuity from remaining 80%. However, in case the accumulated corpus is less than or equal to Rs.2,00,000 then his spouse (or nominee) can withdraw all the amount at once without any mandatory.

For others-Nominee will be allowed to withdraw 100% accumulated corpus. However, the nominee has a choice to buy an annuity too.

The lump sum withdrawal by the nominee will be exempt from Income Tax. If the nominee opted for buying an annuity, then annuity income will be taxed as per nominee’s income tax slab in the year of receipt.

1. Sir ,as you told in above post the max.limit of 80CCD2 for central government employees is 14% of gross salary( basic+ d.a.).i want to know that i am u.p.state government employee and our government contributes 14% of salary( basic + d.a.) then can i avail max.limit of 80 CCD2 as central government employees 14% or 10 % as other employees?

2. In which year, the 80 CCD (2) section was introduced i.e Employer’s contribution of 10 % (Basic + DA)

• Dear Chaitanya,
      I am not sure about this. Please search in IT portal.

3. Sir i am a Government employee . i have the following savings
    ELSS 60000
    TUTION FEES 60000
    LIC PREMIUM 18000
    NPS CONTRIBUTION 62000
    it makes a total of Rs. 2 lakhs. how i can claim a deductions for income tax for these savings.

4. Sir can mandatory deduction in 80ccd(1) be shown in 80ccd(1)(b)

5. If 80c and 80ccd(1b) covers Rs. 2 lacs.can I claim 80ccd(2) over 2 lacks or combined deduction of 80 c ,80ccd(1),80ccd(2) and 80ccd(1B) should not cross 2 Lacs.

• Dear Arunesh,
      Please refer above image. Sec.80CCD(1B) is entirely a different deduction.

• Thank you for your reply sir . I understood 80ccd(1B) is different deduction. If I contribute 1.5 Lacs under 80c and avail the deduction of Rs 50000 from 80ccd(1B).In this case can I avail deduction under sec 80ccd(2) excluding 80c and 80ccd(1B),i.e. over 2 lacks.If 10 percent of my employer (Basic+Da) is Rs.70000/- in that case can I claim deduction of Rs. 270000/-

• Dear Arunesh,
          But it should be from your contribution not from mandatory employee or employer contribution.

6. Dear sir

I m state govt servant of Maharashtra

My lic and other investmrnt is 80000/-
    Employee contribution is 150000/-
    Employer contribution is 200000/-

How i will get deduction under section 80ccd 1,80ccd 1b, 80ccd2 pls guide me….

• Sir pls explain me…I read all text..

Just want to confirm from you.

What I understand is

Under 80c I will get

150000

I will not get deduction u/s 80ccd1b because I don’t have extra Nps saving in other than salary.

And 80ccd2 – 200000(full exempt)

Is I am right
        Pls guide me

• Hello sir

What is changes in 2020 budget

About 80ccd1
        80cc1b
        80ccd2

• Dear Seema,
          If you are willing to adopt the new tax slab, then you have to forget these deductions.

7. What is the maximum limit of 80CCD(2) for state government employee of uttar pradesh

8. Concern 1:-
    Being in 30% tax bracket, is it not a good option to invest in NPS to reduce tax outgo?
    80C – 1.5 lakhs through various instruments
    80CCD (2) – 50,000 through employer. (10% of Basic Pay per annum)
    80CCD (1B) – 50,000 through self contribution
    So, total deduction is 2,50,000.

Correct me, my understanding?

Concern 2:-
    There are many products available in the market for investment which gives better returns than NPS but not guaranteed. In my view, tax optimization should also be considered for mid-level employees for this NPS looks better option as this falls under EEE status. What is your view?

• Dear Rakshith,
      Concern 1-When we are investing, our SOLE reason must not be TAX SAVING.
      Concern 2-Who said you that NPS will give you GUARANTEED returns?

9. I wants to invest in NPS for additional tax benefit. I am of 30 years of age. I am in private sector. Please advise me accordingly.

10. I am PSU employee and contributing 1.5 lac in 80 c now wants to invest in NPS for additional tax rebate. My age is 54 years. Please advice me accordingly.

• Dear Naresh,
      Never invest in a product just because of tax saving.

11. I work in public sector bank, I would like to know if I’m eligible for the tax benefit for
    1.5 lakh in nps tier 2 and is PSB considered to be part of the so said central government employees?

• Dear Naveen,
      Yes, you can avail of the benefits as per the central government employees’ rules.

So I have made the following investment:-
    80C – 1.5 lakhs through various instruments
    80CCD (1B) – 50,000 through self contribution to NPA
    80CCD (2) – 92,000 through employer.
    So, will the total deduction should be 2,92,000 ?
    Can you please clarify.

13. Sir I’m a psb employee. I’ve lic premium of rs.116000 pa and my nps contribution is 54600 which is 10% of my gross + da. so how much can I claim under 80c and 80 ccd1b pls elaborate and for 80 ccd2 do we need to Add the employers contribution to our income and den deduct?

• Dear Deepthi,
      Under Sec.80C, the maximum (inclusive of LIC Premium) is Rs.1,50,000. Rest of the amount can be claimed under Sec.80CCD2.

• Sir wat about 80 ccd1b sir how much can I claim

• Sir 80 CCD(1B) is not part of 80c na so can I claim remaining 20000 under dis

• Dear sir,
                Some employees claim deduction of mandatory contribution towards NPS under 80 CCD 1B . Is it correct?

For example they claim 1500000 towards housing loan principle under 80c and 50000 towards mandatory contribution towards NPS under 80ccd1b.
                And also claim employer contribution under 80ccd2.
                Plz clear the ambiguity….

• Dear Ravi,
                  I think NO. Because voluntary contribution is only eligible under Sec.80CCD(1B).

14. Does contribution to spouse NPS account amount can be claimed under 80CCD (1B) section (assuming it is with in 50000 limit)?

15. Why my 80ccd 2 (employer contribution) is not taking any value. When I put 32414 its always showing 0. Please help

• I am facing the same issue !
        It’s on the Incometaxefiling website automatically calculated form.
        I am a govt employee and whatever value I put there, the system calculated value is ‘0’.

Is this a bug or was there some change in the tax laws regarding 80CCD2 ?

• Thanks. are they aware of it ? Should I wait for them to update before filing my return ?

• try entering ‘govt employee; in personal details before you start filing,should fix it

• Even I am facing the same issue. The 80CCD(2) is over & above the 2 lakh combined limit of 80C + 80CCD(1B)

I wish to know about the tax treatment on returns from NPS Tire2 account.
    What is the tax treatment on returns from NPS tire2 account if Equity exposure in 75% and the period of investment is more than 3 years? What shall be the tax treatment on return on NPS Tire 2 account if debt ecposure is more and the investment period is over 3 years? Is there any Long Term Capital Gain tax benifit in NPS tire2 account?

17. I am central government employee under new nps scheme.i am having investment in ppf 150000/-, so I can show ppf in 80c and yrly total nps AMT my contribution ant 45000,can I show in 80ccd 1 b.my opinion is correct or not.

• Dear Samit,
      As per my knowledge, you can show it if you paid it beyond your mandatory contribution.

18. Hellow.
    I have invested
    72000 in ELSS
    20000 IN TERM INSURANCE
    60000LIC

AS I AM CENTRAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEE 10% MY SALARY IS DEDUCTED UNDER NPS T-1 CAN I SHOW IT UNDER ADDITIONAL 50,000 TAX BENEFIT UNDER 80CCD(1B)

• Dear Shridara,
      As per my view, it should be additionally than the mandatory 10% of your salary.

I am working in pvt sector bank and have my own separate NPS account where I contribute 50000 each year above than 1.5 lac ppf savings.can I opt for my employer’s separate nps account where they can deduct 10% of basic.will this not amount to any tax rule breach??

20. Sir, what are the good options to invest after utilising 80C limit that will save tax also and will get future benefits also? Thank you for your time on this?

21. Very informative blog thank you. Can explain if PSU employees also come under central government employees definition.

Nice article. I have a question on limit of 80CCD(2). Is there any official notification on increasing the limit of 80CC(2) to 14% of basic plus DA for central government employees ? Or is it automatically assumed because the employer contribution is increased to 14% for central government employees? I did not see any amendemnts in income tax act regarding this.
    Can you please confirm.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Malathi

• Dear Malathi,
      There is a notification in this regarding by Government. You can check the same in the Press Information Bureau website.

23. Sir
    I came to know from you that investing in NPS under 80CCD(IB) just for tax saving is not an appreciable choice, however, still, I have a doubt that it only says but no one yet precise the exact reasons for not doing so. Sir, can you please elaborate me the same with some justified illustration, if any. I will be thankful to you.

• Dear Mansoor,
      LIQUIDITY, TAX TREATMENT at the time fo withdrawal or pension and NO FREEDOM to move or change the Funds (you have to choose among the few fund managers ONLY but can’t quit completely) and there is no clear exposure of the assets NPS Fund Managers holding. These are the major reasons to say NO to NPS.

24. Dear Basavaraj,

I am a govt servant. My contribution towards NPS is Rs 86962 and equal amount is contributed by govt towards NPS. Apart from this, i have also invested Rs 60000 in PPF and paid rs 8800 towards life insurance premium and Rs 88000 in ELSS.

Can i show Rs 150000 in 80 (c) and extra 50000 in 80CCD 1(B)?

• Dear Sagar,
      Only your contribution is allowed to show under Sec.80CCD(1B).

I already exhausted my 80C limit with ELSS, PPF & Term Insurance. I am planning to invest in NPS too. In this case, am I eligible for tax deduction u/s 80 CCD(1B)?

• Dear Suresh,
      Is it wise to invest in any product or asset class just for the sake of TAX SAVING?

26. I am Govt.employee getting exemption u/s 80c-150000 (with 72500 dcps), & 80ccd(2)- employers contribution- 72500. I am not invested any other fund in NPS, Can I take any tax benifit u/s 80 ccd(1b)?
    Can I invest any extea fund in NPS for Deduction U/s 80ccd (1b)?

• Dear Sachin,
      Do you feel investing in NPS just for tax saving purpose is a great idea?

• Dear Sachin,
      Do you feel NPS a great product to invest just for tax saving purpose?

27. Good information.
    Explained in simple words..

28. I am a government employee in uttarakhand state.In our pay slip employer’s contribution is not shown that’s why it is not included in gross income.
    Can I get benifit of section 80ccd(2).

• Dear Trilok,
      If employer contribution is showing in the statement, then you can claim such amount under Sec.80CCD(2).

I am self-employed and I have been investing in Tier II account of NPS. However, I am not clear how withdrawals from Tier II account will be taxed after superannuation. Please guide me.

This query pertains to Central Government Employees.

Can the mandatory NPS deduction of 10% of Basic+DA be exempted under Section 80 CCD (1B) ?

If so, then would it be possible to exhaust the exemption limit of Rs. 1,50,000 under Section 80C by using other instruments such as ELSS, Insurance, FDs, PPF etc. and claim exemption for mandatory NPS Employee contribution/deduction under Section 80CCD (1B)?

Also, if the Sum of all investments within 80C exceeds Rs. 1,50,000, … Suppose all investments excluding NPS = 1,00,000 & NPS mandatory deduction = 1,00,000. Can the exemption be claimed for NPS in two parts? Rs. 50,000 within the Rs. 1,50,000 limit and the the remaining Rs. 50,000 in Section 80 CCD (1B)?

Note: my apologies for two successive comments, please delete the shorter comment.

• Dear Vasant,
      As per me, there is no clarification that employee must not claim his part of contribution under Sec.80CCD(1B), if his Sec.80C limit got exhausted. Hence, you can do so.

31. 80ccd2 ka rebate lene k liye kya gross me add krna hoga
    But add krege phir minus krege to profit Kya hoga

• Dear Gaurav,
      It is not like that. If you have confusion in that then just check IT Dept tutor on how to start deducting the deductions from your income.

32. Thank you very much for explaning in such simple words nps tax benefits.

33. i am state govt employee, Is it mandatory to add employer contribution of NPS to my Gross Salary?

• if the employer contribution has to be added in Gross salary, then there is no effect of deduction under 80ccd(2) . then what is the need for 80ccd(2). where it is mentioned in the income tax act or rule that the employer nps contrbution is to be added in the gross salary?.

• Dear Kumar,
          Gross salary means the contribution from the employer also like EPF.

I have one doubt regarding event of death. I am a Govt employee and nominee is spouse.I must buy annuity for 40%.If i dies normally my spouse get pension.After death of the nominee here my spouse, what happens. Whether the entire amount will be paid to my children . If yes when this has to given.

Thanks sir

• Dear Arun,
      Please keep one thing in mind that NPS will not provide you an annuity. You have to buy it from the Life Insurance Companies. While buying you can choose the options of your choice.

35. Dear Basavaraj,

I took home loan of 17 lakhs and it was sanctioned in October 2017. Due to lack of knowledge i have not utilised section 80EE tax exemption so far which is Rs.50000 on Home loan interest.

Is it possible for me to claim this exemption in current financial year while filing Incometax returns?

Santosh

AS per the 2018 budget provision, in AY 2019-20 , LTCL from ( STT paid)Sale of Equity Shares can be set-off against any other LTCG, including LTCG from sale of property , debt instruments etc.

For clarification, say if I bought a Specific Company share on, say 12 Sept 2005 at Rs 300 per share and Sold the same share say on 25 Nov 2018 at Rs 25 , then LTCL per share is Rs 300 – 25= Rs 275. ( incidentally on 31 Jan 2018 , the date for grandfathering specified by Govt , the share was quoted say at Rs 40 ). If I sold say X number of shares in all ,then LTCL=275 x X.

Now, if I sold a small plot of land in AY 2019-20, and made some LTCG say Y, then the LTCG can be reduced or setoff by the actual LTCL on Sale of equity Shares incurred by me in AY 2019-20.

So, LTCL of 275 X can be set off against LTCG of Y, both happening in AY 2019-20.

Kindly request your expert advice if the above understanding of mine is correct or Not. Is there any flaw? I am a senior citizen.

37. Hi Basavaraj, Can you please throw some light on this statement i came across in ET… “If the taxpayer contributes more than Rs 1.5 lakh to the NPS in a year, the amount in excess of Rs 1.5 lakh can be claimed as a deduction under the new Section 80CCD(1b). ”

Does this mean that i need to invest > Rs 1.5L/year to claim tax exemption under 80CCD(1b)?

Read more at:
    //economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/56775335.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

• Dear Partha,
      What it mean to say that if suppose you invested Rs.2 lakh, then Rs.1.5 lakh can be claimed under Sec.80C and another Rs.50,000 under Sec.80CCD(1B).

• Hi Basavaraj, so am i correct in understanding that i can invest in any non NPS instrument ( ELSS, MF, PPF) & get exemption upto Rs 1.5L ( under 80C) and if i only invest in NPS for 50K , i can claim additional exemption under 80CCD(1B)?

• Dear sir please explain
        I am a state government Haryana employee
        I have an investment of rs 130000 in other than nps instruments
        And a contribution of rs 80000 towards nps which is 10% of basic and da.
        Now can I claim 1.5 lakh savings under 80ccd
        And 50000 in 80ccd1b

• Dear Naveen,
          Your own contribution can be claimed under Sec.80CCD(1) and Sec.80CCD(1B).

38. Hello Basu ji. Very nicely explained. One thing still is a bit unclear which is, if a pvt. employee invest in 80(C) up to max limit of 150000/- and under 80CCD(2) limit of 50000/- then will this 80 CCD (2) benefit is additional (say, e.g 100000) or not.

In other words is the maximum benefit = 150000/-+50000+100000
    or, 150000+100000

• Dear Sunil,
      Sec.80CCD(2) is not the part of Sec.80C. Hence, don’t combine with other sections and confuse yourself.

39. sir
    Do we need to add employers contribution in the salary also to avail 50000 additional tax savings under 80 CCD 1B.

40. Hi Basu

I’m state govt employee and eligible for pension from state govt on retirement. However, I heard about NPS section 80 CCD (2). I want to open go NPS to invest 50000/- for additional tax benefit under tier I option. Can I go for it or do I need to check more information related to state govt employees.

• Dear Sandeep,
      It is available for all. However, keep one thing in mind that NEVER INVEST IN A PRODUCT JUST FOR TAX SAVING PURPOSE.

Very usefull article.

I have a doubt. Im working in a private bank. Let us take my salary as example.

My gross salary is 7lakh.

My NPS contribution is 48000 p.a.

My employer NPS contribution is 48000 p.a. ( Employer contribution is not added in my gross income).

My other tax exemption investment is 1,30,000(All investment comes under 80C).

Now my doubt is
    1.Can I Claim 28,000 under 80CCD(1B)?
    ((1,30,000+48,000(my NPS contribution)-1,50,000)=28,000

2.Can I Claim the employer contribution of NPS of 48,000 under 80CCD(2)?

• Dear Siva,
      Yes, you can use your contribution in that way. Regarding employer contribution, I have already explained in above post.

• Sir,

My employer contribution not shown everywhere like form 16 and salary slip.

Even though can I claim under 800CD(2)?

• Dera Siva,
          NPS statement is enough to prove that your employer contributed to your NPS account.

42. Dear Basavaraj,
    Thank you for your informative article on NPS!
    As a contractual employee of a Govt institution, I don’t have an NPS account.
    I would like to open an NPS account and contribute 50,000 a year and claim tax benefit under section 80CCD(1B) for the 50k as I have already exhausted 80C limit with ELSS and LIC for 1,50,000.
    Can I claim? (Please answer to this query)
    I know you would say ”don’t invest only for tax saving which LOCKS money up to 60 years of age”.
    But with recent changes in the NPS scheme, I can allocate 75% to equity
    which will be like investing in a Balanced Fund.
    Then, why not invest in NPS with a low expense ratio and get the tax benefit as well? (I know lock-ins are different but the logic of LOCK-IN period doesn’t stand as investments are for the long term)
    Please educate me on this issue!
    Thanking you in advance!

• Dear Laxman,
      But if the fund manager not perform well (which may even happen with equity funds also), then do you have the freedom to choose the different fund managers of your choice? In case of MF, you have plenty of option which is LIMITED when it comes to NPS. Think and decide as at the end it is your money.

43. Dear Basavaraj,

I am investing 1.4 Lakhs in Mutual funds(ELSS), PPF & Insurance.
    As a central Govt employee my contribution is 60,000 to NPS.

Now is it possible to show 10,000 of NPS amount under section 80CCD(1) & remaining 50,000 of NPS amount under section 80CCD(1B).

So that the total deduction will be 2 Lakhs.

Please clarify.

44. Dear Basavaraj,

Can you confirm if the “NPS Tax Benefits – While withdrawing”, are same for Tier-I and Tier-II ?

Can you clarify on “What will be the taxation for Tier-II Withdrawal ? “

• Thanks for the confirmation.

45. Thanks for your information about NPS related tax consultation. …..

46. Respected sir,
    You covered all points. Once again you have taken hot topic for discussion like NPS news rules. I hope you will duly update all uncertain points which as of now was under process by gov. Once again thank u…

47. Hi Sir, my age is 33 yrs and would like to invest now for my golden years. Is NPS good option for Salaried people like me, if they exhausted their 80C limit? What is the return that can be expected from NPS? If i wish to discontinue (not invest) NPS after some time, is this possible?

• Dear Shiv,
      First thing, stay away from product which LOCKS your money up to 60 years of age. Second thing, never invest just for the sake of tax saving.

48. In the case of senior citizen, NPS deduction is not available (except where the account was opened before attaining 65 years of age). Entire provision should be simplified to provide deduction to all upto Rs.2 lacs subject to conditions.

49. Let’s say if we invest the tax saved each year and reinvest in equity, will return from NPS is good. It would be nice if you incoporate an example where we reinvest tax saved and buy annuity for 40% from NPS and buy another FD from money we accumulated from tax saved from NPS. Thanks

• Dear Pet,
      Never invest for the sake of tax-saving. Also, never invest in a product which locks your money.

50. Suberb explanation. Any clarity on what is interest percentage on annuity? Is it at par with FDs or debit funds or equity? If not then it is a blocker to invest in NPS now also, if I am not wrong.

• Dear Pet,
      NPS will not provide you any annuity. You have to buy it from the accumulated corpus from Life Insurance companies on that day’s prevailing rates.