How to claim Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana or Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana?

Many of you enrolled for the recently launched Government of India Schemes called Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana. However, do you know how to claim for Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)? Let us see the process.

How to claim for Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY)?

I explained the simple process through this below image. Claim Process of PMJJBY

Why I mentioned that it takes a maximum of 60 days for claim settlement? Because when you submit the application for claim to the bank then the maximum time limit set under this scheme to forward the same to the Insurance Company is restricted as 30 days (from the date of submission of the claim form). Once Insurance Company receives this claim form, then the maximum time limit set for settlement of claim from an Insurance Company is 30 days. Hence, overall within the maximum 60 days the claim will be settled.

In case nominee submitted the claim form to any branches of Insurance Company, then insurer’s office will forward the same to the concerned bank of the deceased account holder immediately to get necessary verification etc. done from the bank concerned.

The concerned bank branch will verify it and forward it to the designated office of the Insurance Company for processing the claim.

Hence, I feel submitting the claim form to concerned Bank is easier than submitting it to the Insurance Company.

Download the claim form from HERE.

How to claim for Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)?

I explained the simple process through this below image.

Claim Process of PMSBY

A few points to remember while approaching to claim in Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY)

• You must submit the claim form within 30 days of an accident.
  • Apart from a Bank or insurance companies, you also get claim forms from hospitals, PHCs, BCs, insurance agents etc.
  • It is the responsibility of insurance companies to provide the claim form and it can’t deny the forms to a person who is requesting for.
  • Once you submit the claim form along with other necessary documents, the bank will forward the same to an insurance company within 30 days.
  • After due verification of the claim by an insurance company, it must settle the claim within 30 days of receipt.
  • Hence, the maximum time takes to settle the claim is around 60 days.
  • In case insured not named the nominee, then the amount will be payable to the legal heirs of the insured on a production of Succession Certificate/ Legal Heir certificate from the Competent Court/ authority.

Download the claim form from HERE.

Hope this information is helpful for all members of these two schemes.

1. Hello Sir

Sir my brother expired in oct’19 and I recently came to know about his subscription under PSMBY scheme. Can I file a claim now it’s been 4 months?

2. Is death by cancer covered in this policy???

• Sir, my brother in law died in a road accident in october 2019. We were unaware that he had been cobered under pmsby. We came to know this today only and it feburary 2020. Can we still apply for the claim? And wat woud be the procedure for the same?

• Dear Saloni,
          Yes, you can and better approach the bank for the same.

3. Sir my father had purchased a insurance and we weren’t aware of that ,on 26-6-2017 my father took his last breath n we had approached the bank for the inquiry bout his insurance and stuff related to his account and the staff did not inform us bout his policies and last week I received a message saying that the policy due for payment n now I have all the statement related to the insurance so can I approach for the claim now????

4. Hlo sir ..
    Thanks for the article!
    I just wanted to know that what is discharged receipt form?
    And why bank will provide the discharge receipt,
    The following hospital should provide the discharge receipt?

• Dear Siddhant,
      I think it is a discharge summary of hospitalization. Yes, hospitals will provide this information.

5. Hello Basavara Ji,

My brother-in-law passed away on 25-Dec-2018, I had submitted a claim in Feb month in PNB bank.
    Received doc back a couple of time for few corrections and Finally, I managed to submit all the required doc.

It’s been 3 months, not getting any information. As per bank, they had forwarded to Circle office, apart from this there is no information.
    How can I get the current status and claim?

Deepak prasad

• Dear Deepak,
      It is hard to track. However, request the bank to provide the circle office details and contact them directly.

6. Hi Basavaraj ji Good Afternoon,

I have invested money in Mutual fund SIP in Reliance/Axis and BNP.

Now plan to invest child plan and term plan in ICICI and my bro suggested me to go for Postal Insurance PLI.

Please can u suggest me good Investment plan……… i bit confused about it…… Im investing thru NJ Client Desk.

• Dear Vindya,
      For insurance, buy a pure online term plan. For investment, chose the products of combinations like PPF (in debt) and Equity Mutual Funds.

7. Hi Sir
    My father died recently,and he insured with PMJJBY,but he did not mentioned any nominee for his insurance , now how can we claim that, Please suggest me

• Dear Suresh,
      Approach the Insurance Company and submit the necessary documents to claim it.

8. Hi basavaraj,

Please tell me whom to contact for this calim of PMSBY,I contacted for SBI bank they told that we not processing this PMSBy we only claims of PMJJY but not PMSBY.

I contacted the bank for this process of claim of PMSBY they simply told we dont know this process but they know how to cut the charges of amount for insurance every year.

Tell me the exact information to whom I send the documents of Calim of PMSBY.

• Dear Narayana,
      Better you first interact with Toll-Free number and then take a call.

9. Helo Sir
    Mere papa ki 26-10-2018 ko road accident mai Death Ho gyi the
    …..unhone PMJJBY bima liya hua tha …kisi kaarn-vash hum form ko submit karne mai 10-15din ki dari Ho gyi ..
    Kya claim Milne ki sambhavna h or h to hum kha c isske bare mai jankari Le

Aaj 2months ho chuke h

• Dear Robin,
      Yes, you will receive the compensation. Better to be in touch with bank for the same.

10. Hi, sir

My father passed away on 25 Nov 2018, its 22 Jan 2019. I have approached the bank and they have guided me for a while. I have filled the form but due to staff unavailability in the bank, I can’t able to submit it on the bank. Whenever I go to talk about when the staff will come from holiday and they keep delaying the date everytime I go. What should I do?

• Dear Rohit,
      Let them give in writing that due to staff crunch, your application can’t be accepted. They just delaying the process.

11. sir my dad expired at 61 years are we eligible to claim pmsby?

12. My grandfather has died and his auto deduction insurance s not auto deducted from last year, we were not aware of it till his death, what we should do to claim it now

• Dear Pavan,
      Check with bank whether the policy was live at the time of death. Then you can take a call.

13. Dear Sir.,
    Thank you for such a nice article.
    I have gone through it and also need one suggestion from you.
    I have enrolled my self in both scheme (PMJJBY & PMSBY)From state bank of mysore ( now it is s.b of india) in 02/june/2015 but I did not received policy number or bond paper yet. Should I approach to the bank ? how do I know who is my insurer?
    when I enrolled the scheme, bank staff said no need of any certificate or number in such case how my nominee will became to know that I have the policy?
    ( I have gone through comments below most of them came to know after 1 year or more by the time it has no value) can not inform home before because greedynes of people.
    Hope you understand the mater.Awaiting your answer.

Sunil ms

• Dear Sunil,
      Yes, there are lot of issues. To know the insurer, you better knock the banker.

My mom passed away 9 months back in a road accident and I got to know of her a/c in canara bank which she had subscribed for PMSBY only now through her passbook. Can I now go to the bank and request to claim for insurance it’s past 250 days.

Avinash

15. Sir
    Mere father ko aj 2 months hogye h or death certificate late aane ki wjh s
    Ky ab hm is scheme ko claim kr skte h???
    Bcz iska renewal time 2 months btare h

• Dear Priya,
      First inform to the insurance company about the death and request them that you will submit the necessary documents immediately. Keeping silence is not good.

16. Hi sir, I have filled the claim form and attached punchnama, death certificate,PM report, Id proof and cancelled cheque for my father’s accidental death claim. But they are asking for FIR which is not possible since my dad lost his life in an accident and they are asking the punchnama report to be translated in English from Marathi. Are these things necessary they are asking for?

17. Hello,
    I have taken both the policy of rs 12+330 from my bank which is deducted every year from my savings account my dad is hospatilized how can I take the Mediclaim benefit of my above policy.

• Dear Naresh,
      Whether the policy is in your name or your father’s name?

My name is prakash mera pradhan mantri Jeevan jyoti bema yojna karayi hue hai. Abi 4 din pahly mera accident ho gaya hai.jisme mere knee ky ligaments breakage ho gaye hai. Doctor s operation k liye bol rahy hai kya mujhy PMBY ky antergat medical claim milega agar milega to kya karna

• Dear Prakash,
      Please contact the bank or insurance company immediately.

19. Hello sir,
    My father in law died on 21 Nov 2017. He enrolled himself to PMSBY but we all dont know about this insaurance.
    We came to know this when we find acknowledgement receipt last month . we dont know who is the nominee for this.
    Can my mother in law claim it now.

• Neelam-Yes, your mother can claim it by approaching the Insurance Company.

20. Hello sir,
    My father passed away on august 2017. Within 60 days I submitted all the required documents to claim that 12 rs PMJJBY policy. After 4 month they( union bank) told me it’s not under our cover .need to contact national insurance . I am staying far from my native with my mother it’s keep on delaying. What should I do it’s laready 8 month over

• Shridhar-Why not you contact the nearest National Insurance Branch and ask for the status?

21. My father died in the year 2015 due to accident , i have provided all the documents like death certificate ,past mortem report ,police fir report but till now the claim has not been approved it got rejected also then what to do already 2 year have been passed.

• Sudhir-If Insurance Company’s decision is not acceptable to you then you can complain to a higher authority. I am not sure why you kept silent for the two years.

22. My husband expired in january 18. He has takan rs 330 insurance but in this nominee is my father in law. It was 1.5 yrs held of my marriage and have no kids. My father in law get to know that he is in nominee then now he is not willing to give me that money. So in this case what i can do.

• Navika-Even though your father-in-law is a nominee, you being the legal heir, you can claim it. Contact the insurance company immediately.

• I contacted to the bank. They are demanding family tree and legal haier certificate from court. This will take minimum of 2 months to make these documents. So, i want to know that this is the only way or is there any other process also availble.

23. Sir..My father is suffering from right hand side paralysis from last one year and he is in complete bed. I just found that he had both this insurance done on his saving a/c ie rs 12 and rs 330
    So can I claim in rs 12 one ???

My mother died by asthma attack 45 days ago, can i claim they was insured with pradhanmantri jeevan jyoti bima yojan Rs 330 and also pradhan mantri surksh bima yojana Rs 12.

25. sir mere uncle ki two primium ja chuki h pmjjby me kya hm claim kar sakte h…. 2017 me hi ak renewl hua h

• Akash-If the policy is alive and the incident happened, then you can claim for benefits.

26. Hello sir mera Bhai ki 2 sep 2017 date ko heart attack SE death ho gai he usne may month me insurance renewal kiya that kya hum claim kar sakte hai. Lekin abhi tak hame PM report nahi mila ahe only death certificate Mila he to kya kare plz reply

• Sunita-Yes, you can claim the insurance benefits by providing the death certificate.

• OK thanks lekin PM report nahi mile he to only death certificate SE claim procedure complete ho Sakti hai kya?

• Sunita-They may ask for PM report also. But you can now proceed the process with death certificate in hand.

• Sir plz tell me how to check status of our claim form

• Sunita-You have to call the Toll-Free numbers and enquire (National Toll-Free – 1800-180-1111 / 1800-110-001 and StateWise Toll-free numbers are listed in this document Statewise Toll-Free.)

• Hello sir, plz tell me how to check status of our claim. Maine 4 th Jan 2018 ko document submit keya tha
      insurance agent ke pass. online mail kiya tho document nahi mile asea reply Mila or so agent ko bataya to bol raha tha unhe kuch pata nahi hota Maine document submit keye hai. So plz tell me how to check status of claim.

• Sunita-Why not physically approach the Insurance company rather than relying on agent or email?

27. SIR I WAS MET AN ACCIDENT ON MAY 17 CAN I CLAIM NOW

• Prashant-You can claim if anything happened with you as below.
      Death due to accident-Rs.2 lakh.

Total and irrecoverable loss of both eyes or loss of use of both hands or feet or loss of sight of one eye and loss of use of hand or foot-Rs.2 lakh.

Total and irrecoverable loss of sight of one eye or loss of use of one hand or foot-Rs.1 lakh.

28. Good morning sir
    Please tell me pmjjy head office address.

• KR-There is no such head office. Using the toll free number you can reach them.

29. Sir my uncle passed away in road accident and he was in hospital for treatment for 1.5mnth n he passed away in Sep 2017 …now bank official says yo submit postmortem report but we don’t have that….what to do

• Meenu-In my view death certificate along with medical reports suffice to claim.

My father met with an accident and passed away on july 10th 2017, we have downloaded claim form and gave it to the concerned bank, still we hav nt received any amount and bank manager says he dont know what to do. Can you pls help. I tried many toll free numbers, nothing helped me 🙁

• Rashmi-Contact the concerned using National Toll-Free – 1800-180-1111 / 1800-110-001 and StateWise Toll-free numbers are listed in this document Statewise Toll-Free.

31. Sir my father died due to heart attack then hamne 1 saal baad claim kiya jb hame pta chla unhone insaurance krwaya tha then i submitted applilcation so so kya claim milega ????

• Ankit-Yes but which plan you opted? Be in touch with the insurance company.

My father was 65 when he died because of Prostate Cancer in 29th Jan, 2016. He was insured against Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana i.e Rs. 12 policy ? Can we claim now.

33. SIR MY BROTHER IN LAW DIED DUE TO CANCER IN JAN 2016 WE APPLIED THE CLAIM IN MAY 2016 AGAINST NOMINEE. BUT THE CASE IS STILL PENDING AT LIC KOLKATA PLS GUIDE ME WHAT TO DO

• Venkata-Not sure why such long delay. You approach the LIC immediately. No need to wait.

Recently I have enrolled for PMJJBY and I want to change the nominee please help me how to change the nominee

35. PMSBY- RECEIPT – yes provide ( 12 per year)
    PMJJBY- RECEIPT- No provide ( 330 per year) Why??? How can collect policy no ??
    If both policy – client PMJJBY- 2 & PMSBY-2 claim the same ??
    Upper mention prob at claim time bank person donot aware about claim procedure at that time wht can do ?
    If cliant LIC POLICY- so PMJJBY- PMSBY total 3 policy claim the same !! Right ?

• Gaurang-I am unable to understand your problem. Can you elaborate more?

If insured person was suffering from cancer disease, then can we claim after death. Please do clarify this doubt.

• Dear Sir,

my Husband passed on 9/2/2017 because of cancer, we claimed before 2.5 month but till date we have not received claim amt. so please tell us what can we do?

37. Sir mere mosi ke son ki death 2.11.2016 ko ho gai claim form submit krne k 30 days se jyda ho abi tk koi info. Nhi mili kb tk claim milega plzzz help us
    Mo. 9407301082

38. What I write in the discharge receipt form on the space before (name of the insurance company)? I don’t understand sir. Please inform me.

• Kailash-Name of the insurance company is provided on the bond paper or you take the help by calling toll free number provided above.

39. Sir my Mother has both pmjjby and pmsby.she died on 4/ 1/2017 in heart attack. Q1. Can I claim both policy scheme?
    I contact to bank on 9/2/ 2017 but they tell me that they do not know about the matter. They also tell me perhaps it should be claim within one month .Q2.is it true?

• Kailash-Yes, you can claim the both. Yes, there is time limit to submit claim. Better you proceed fastly.

40. Sir If bank officer’s says that don’t know noting about PMSBY
    Then wat do we do

• Chethan-How can he DON”T KNOW? Let him give in writing that he ACTUALLY DON”T KNOW.

41. How do we know my claim status is there any site just by putting policy no we can know please help me

• Manishjain-Not centralized one. But check with your respective insurer.

42. Sir mere bhai ki 11/12/2016 ko death ho gayi h claim ke liye kya document chahiye
    Please help me
    Contact no. 9166155474
    Union bank of India

• Manoj-Either contact the bank or insurance company. They guide you fully.

My mom passed on 23/07/2016 by the Heart Attack. Can i claim on PMJJBY for insurance amount. please help me. how to procedure .

Satyapal Singh
    9812995856

44. My father has passed away 10 months ago i claimed this policy 6 months ago bank has submitted duly form to its HO but still i didn’t get money whenever i call bank manager he says i sent it HO its on process but accroding to rules it should take maximum of 2 months when i say this he just disconnects my call Or he says my job is over its concerned to HO pla suggest me what should i do?? who should i contact ? How can i get to know why its not processed yet ?? Please suggest me

45. Is this can be filed after 3 months ? My mom met severe accident and she forgots that she enrolled in this. Now from her passbook we came to know this.

46. Please tell me after which year do i get this insorence money

• Sanket-You will not get the money but in case of the death of life assured only NOMINEE will receive it.

47. My aunt was having pmjjby .
    How her nominee withdral the Rs.?

48. Hi Buddy
    My aunt was having a scheme PMJJBY, recently she was passed away and her age is 45.she was un married and in Bank records nominee was updated wrongly . In nominee section it was updated with a unknown person that to with relation as son
    So kindly let me guide for the insurance clam process

• Koduri-You have to approach insurance company and bank for first with legal heir certificate and her death certificate. Then, the process will change. Merely nomination can’t have rights over assets.

49. Sir my had died on 9.4.2016.according to him some people gave him sulfash.FIR applied against them by name.how we can apply for pmjjby.kamalesh Sen deoria uP

What is the maximum time to approach to the bank in order to claim under PMJJBY?

Thanks in advnce

51. Sir accident happened on 17th april but still will not get death certificate , total 12 members death in accident officers are telling it will delay by another 10 to 15 days , but max time to submit insurance to claim is 30 days , in my case it is not possible any suggestion pl

• Siddanagouda-Better you inform to insurer about death but delay in submitting the death certificate.

52. Sir, my uncle died last week and he wrote her 10 year old daughter’s name in nominee so I want to know the further process for claim …and I also want to know that can I change nominee’s name in my policy of pradhan mantri jeevan Jyoti bima yojana ? Plz help me out sir …

• Saloni-The process is explained above. Yes, you can change nominee at any point of time.

53. Sir I applied both policy online through axis net banking I recd PMJJBY rs.330 yrly policy number from max life on my mail but still not recd any confirmation of PMSBY rs.12 yrly customer care don’t have any information abt the policy pls advice where I confirmed abt my policy I applied on 13 July 15

• Priyanka-There are so many such complaints. Let them work and settle.

54. Sir, Can you please guide me on the topic – like I have entitled my name under PM’s jeevan jyoti yojana. Now, how do I confirm that my name is enlisted under the same scheme as I have not received any document regarding the same.

Moreover, in future if I ever claim the said, how do I do it because if the bank asks me to show anything I won’t be.

55. Hello sir,

how much time LIC takes for early death claim settlements? i filed a claim about three months ago. Waiting for a response.

• Shravan-It depends on individual claims. Because sometimes within a day and sometimes for a year or so.

• really, there is no guidelines to approve claims in regards to timeline! it means i can do nothing, just wait and watch!!!!!!!

56. Dear Basavarajji,
    Thanking you once again for your nice topic. I and my wife enrolled both Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY) and Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana (PMSBY). Now I wish to cancel my wife’s Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY). Because, my wife is dependent on me. So, I think only my PMJJBY and PMSBY are sufficient to give coverage in any incidence. I want to cancel my wife’s Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana (PMJJBY). How can I do that? Please tell me, how can I change nominee after few years, if required?

• Dr.Anjan-This plan is works exactly like Term Insurance. Once you paid the premium then that’s it. No need to proceed for cancellation. If you not pay the premium amount next time then the policy will automatically lapse. However, banks mandated it for ECS. Therefore, contact your bank where the premium was deducted ans request them to cancel the ECS mandate.

• Thanking you. Please tell me, how can I change nominee after few years, if required? Is any form available to change nominee name?

57. Hello,
    On of my relative died in last week due to brain hamerage and they was insured with pradhan mantri bima yojana of rs 12 per yr. So i want to know that we are eligible for the claim or not.

• Mahipal-Contact the bank from where they premium deducted. If the policy was issued then his nominee will be eligible to receive the claim amount.

i want to take health insurance for me and my husband.

I enquired with Religare Care Health Insurance Policy Premium For Both Rs 8639(WITH SUPER NO CLAIM BONUS)
    For Lacs amt and they said that there is Additional 5 Lac cover they gave means total 10 Lacs for 1st year

and if we dont claimed that For second year it is 8 lacs basic +5 Lacs.

I also want to confirm they said all the day care expenses also covered,there is no mandatory for 24 hrs hospitalisation,and for doctor fees and tests also we can get cashless…and for OPD CONSULTATION of doctor we can also get reimbursed…

We get Annual Health check up for us both…If any exixting disease it can be covered after 36-48 mnths.Pls Clarify is these details correct abt Day Care charges ,No Room rent Cap

• Neha-Please go through the Religare portal before proceeding to buy. By the way, why you are commenting the same doubt in different names?

59. I heard Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana is not eligible for those people whose aged crossed above 50. My father age is 64 years old. Can my father opt for this scheme.

Thanks in Advance!

60. Thanks for the info 🙂

61. Nice post Basavaraj … To enroll do we need to provide any documents or is it mandatory that the savings account is linked to adhaar or so ? I see sbi provide an option to do it online but I am not sure what all documents are needed to complete the registration
    Anish

• Anish-The KYC process done already related to your Savings Account is enough to enroll. Hence, banks offering it either through online or through SMS route.

62. Thank you for the info Basavaraj , most of us did not know this