What do you know about security issues related to operating ATMs? We all claim experts. But hold your breath. Because yesterday a 44-year-old woman who is also Bank Manager was attacked inside an unguarded ATM on the busy JC Road in Bangalore at 7.10 a.m. So let us discuss few ATM operating security measures.
1) One of the most intelligent way of managing your security is to typing your PIN (Personal Identification Number ) in reverse order once you sense the danger to you. This is also called REVERSE PIN OF ATM. It is the security feature of ATMs which accept your PIN reverse order too. But will automatically alarm to the nearest police station.
Update from Mr. Naresh our reader.
From his sharing it seems that such reverse PIN system never exists or not adopted by any banks in India. For further reading on the same visit the below link.
2) Inform your family or someone whom you can trust while you are going to the ATM. Because the above said incident in Bangalore happened in the early morning at 7.10 but come to light around 10. Because the ATMs shutter was closed and everyone thought that this particular ATM was out of order.
3) Plan your cash so that you may not need it during early hours or late night. We all know that ATMs are for 24×7. But majority of such incidents will happen during early mornings or late night.
4) Use ATMs which are located in the public area with clear lighting instead of corner areas.
5) Have an eye on your surroundings throughout the transaction time.
6) Avoid taking help from others, especially unknown who pretends to help you.
7) Avoid writing your PIN on backside of card or within card pouch.
8) Never use the PIN which are identical to your birthdate, Telephone number or year of your birth.
9) Use the ATMs which have security guards.
10) Never take too much time in collecting cash, writing slips or any other activity which consumes times. The best way is to have sufficient deposit slips or other transaction related slips with you at home so that you fill it before entering ATM.
11) Never have costly valuables with you while entering ATMs like jewelry, watches or phones.
12) Activate sms alerts or mail alerts for each transaction you do.
13) Keep the transaction receipt with you until it matches with the bank statement.
14) Shred the transaction receipt once you feel it is of no use for future.
15) Press CANCEL before you leave the ATM.
16) For any incomplete transaction call immediately to bank help desk which I think all ATMs display.
17) Avoid using ATM if you find any unusual part of ATM. Because these are the instruments sometimes attached to fetch your account details.
18) Shield the screen and keyboard from others while operating the ATM.
19) Data shows lot of such incidents occurred after 7 pm evenings and before 4 am. Hence, try to avoid using this time.
20) And finally whatever the tips we follow but the answer is being caution all time while doing such financial transactions.