How to file revised income tax return?

Few tax payers either don’t know or are hesitant to file revised return when they find some mistakes in their original return. But their is a provision to file once again a revised return to correct the mistakes or omission they did in original tax return filing.

Conditions to file revised returns:-

1) Revised returns can be filed if you filed your original return within due date. So if you filed your return after due date then you are not eligible to file revised return.

2) Revised return can be filed at anytime before the expiry of one year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of the assessment, whichever is earlier. For example, for financial year 2012-13 assessment year will be 2013-14. So you can file revised return of FY 2012-13 upto 31st March 2015 (end of assessment year 2014-15).

3) You can file revised return only if you found any omission or wrong statement in your previous return. But not for any concealment or false statement.

4) You can’t file revised return if income tax department already did assessment of your return.

5) You can file revised return if you missed any deduction or income.

6) You must have 15 digits acknowledgement no. and date of file to revise return.

7) Return can be revised any number of times but within the time frame what I mentioned above.

8) A loss income can also be revised and can be carry forward.

9) If found concealment of income from original then it will be penalized.

10) Penalty for such act will be 100% to 300% of your tax dues.

11) Usually revised returns will go through higher scrutiny from IT.

12) Revised return is the substitute to the original return.

How to file revised return?

  • You can either use online or physical mode of return filing. But if you filed original return online then you have to file online mode only.
  • Open the excel file where you originally filed return.
  • Enable the macros.
  • Mentioned as revised return and select the Sec 139(5) instead of 139(1).
  • Do the necessary changes to your return.
  • Fill acknowledgement number and date of original return.
  • Click on compute tax, generate XML file by validating each sheet.
  • Upload the file to Income Tax e-filing site.
  • Download the revised ITR and sign it.
  • Send the original and revised ITR sheets to CPC Bangalore.



881 Responses

  1. I hv filled itr1 for 2020-2021,in which i hv paid self assessment tax .After that i found some over payment of tax so later revised it under139(5) for which i also got refund. Now suddenly i got 143(1) which has tax demand of 50000.kindly helpme in this .

  2. Respected sir,
    I am a 65 years old pensioner having an income of Rs 329414/- from pension for FY 2018-19 and TDS Rs 1510/- deducted by the employer. I have not filed any itr as of now taking it as non-needed. Now my employer is asking me to provide the copy of my itr for FY 2018-19. I tried to file online itr on e-filing portal but it could not be uploaded due to time-barred. I have not received any notice from ITD in this connection. I have generated XML file with offline utility but there is no system of uploading on to my account in the absence of any notice. How to tackle this situation? How to reply to the employer? Should I proceed for Condonation Request? Should I file itr through E-mail? or not to do anything unless I receive a notice u/s 142. Please direct with your valuable views.
    with Thanks and Regards!

  3. I had done losses in this year while trading but was not aware that is can be carried forward for coming years and due to lack of knowledge I filed ITR 1 what I use to fill before trading,whereas I was supposed to fill ITR-3
    I have still not verified that return can I file Revised in ITR-3 and take the benefit to carry forward my losses.

  4. I have been paid my salary arrears in two installments, one in March 2020, and August 2020 now i have filed IT returns for the FY 2019-2020 and now i have received tax relief under section 89, now i can claim the same in the next FY ie, 2020-2021. Kindly reply

  5. for AY 2009-10 ,in my it return TDS deducted from my salary is Rs.6507 ,but form 26as shows only Rs.2060 & total income also different, how can i file revised return /outstanding demand.

  6. Hello Sir
    I have filed and e verified the ITR without paying due tax of Rs.13050 . one day later on 30/08/2019 I paid the self assessment tax of the same amount through debit card. The amount has been deducted from my SBI account but I am unable to find BSR code and challan no.
    a) when and how I can get BSR and Challan no.
    b) If I’ll file revised ITR after 31/08/19, any penalty to be paid ?

  7. Sir I have filed the revised itr and I haven’t e verified original one do I need to e verify both or the only revised one only

  8. Hi Basavaraj,

    I have submitted my returns using the online option instead of using Excel for FY 2016. I would like to submit a rectification request as I received a 143(1) notice. It seems I need to upload xml file. How do I generate the Excel now? I see my Acknowledgment only provides a pdf copy of my return.
    Please advice.


  9. I was a central govt. officer with salary is the only source of income, as such all the tax related data were reflected in Form 16 while in service. For tax -credit mismatch, I got certain notices which were handled by my staffs as I was never comfortable with this tax handling matter. But after my retirement, I am going through all this matters myself and found after entering in the IT website in “for your action” window that though three notices were disposed in my favour but three notices for AY 2010-11 1431(a) , 2011-12 143 1(b) and 2013-14 (154) respectively were still pending ; two were replied with disagreement on my behalf; and no reply from IT department received so far.
    However, for the third one (AY 2011-12) No reply was given on my behalf and the action on my behalf is still pending. This also tax credit mismatch ; it (and 26 as) does not reflect neither the chargeable income nor the TDS as per form 16 .
    My query is:1. Can I put a reply (disagreement) for this third case now?
    2. And for first two cases what more I am supposed to do? All my records are intact and in all three cases no tax is pending as per form 16.

  10. Hey hi , actually while filing my itr 4 i forgot to mention savings bank interest in income from other sources head but shown it in 80tta deduction….i know this is silly but what next i actually filed the return and done the everified also….? Plz help…

  11. Hi,

    I did e-verify the ITR. I found that, there is mistake in the source of income. Can I do revise the ITR and resubmit & e-verify again even though everything was done earlier?

  12. Hello,
    I’m trying to file revised itr online. XML file is generated without any errors. But when I try to upload file it gives me “invalid acknowledgement number. please retry” error. While I’ve entered correct acknowledgement number along with date.

    What should I do to overcome the error?
    Thanking you in advance.


    1. Hi Karan, I am also getting same error while filing revised return.invalid acknowledgement number.

      Did you able to get some resolution?

      1. Yes Kunal. No need to worry. Wait for a day or two and then try again. I’ve filed successfully. Hope I’m helpful.

  13. i have filed itr for assemnt yr 17-18 then i hve received a mail that income from other source not shown in itr.

    can i file revised itr ?? n process plz

  14. Sir,
    I have filed my returns for the assessment year 2016-17 in time but due to over sight I have not considered my TDS receivables and paid the tax. Now can I revise my returns by claiming refund.

  15. Sir,
    I filed the return before the due date for my Dad, who is retired and had already paid an advance tax. Upon filing my return the tax payable amount was shown which was paid but this was done after filing the return, which was my mistake. Thereafter the itr was processed and they again raised the outstanding demand which was raised wrongly. So i put the grievance for the same for which the IT dept has informed to file a revised return. So i filled in the details for the revised return and an excess amount was raised as tax payable. Then i tried to contact the IT official helpdesk over phone, who were just passing me from one department to other. Kindly let me know whether to file the revised return or not?

      1. hi, i have a query .
        how to contact the JAO?
        “You are requested to
        contact the jurisdictional Assessing Officer’. as i’m unable to revise the itr for AY2012-13.

          1. thank you for your reply.

            I got the email address from PAN details in Profile. that is ‘[email protected]’. is it the email id do I need to contact?

            and, what exactly I need to write? like grant me the permission to revise ??

            btw, from same email id I got mail ‘Grievance Resolution Letter’ which mentions to contact JAO.

  16. Hi Basavaraj,

    I have filed the revised tax return and I would like to cancel it due to incorrect details. Please help me with my following queries.

    1. Can I cancel my revise return?
    2. If I cannot cancel my revise return then can I skip the e-verification within 120 days so that revised return will become invalid?


  17. Hi Basavaraj,

    I had some Foreign Income and Foreign Tax credit for FY 16-17 under DDTA. I had filed ITR 1 before due date. My ITR was processed by Income tax office and send intimation U/S 143(1) to pay, as FTC was not reflected on there system. I recently came to know that i have filed incorrect ITR form, I should have filed ITR 2 instead on ITR 1 and mentioning all details.

    1) Is it possible to filed revised ITR2 ? Mine ITR is alreaded processed by AO.
    2) If not, what is the best option I can do.

  18. Hi,

    I have filled my return for AY 2014-15 manually, but didn’t get the refund yet. I asked CA, who did this process many time for the same but he is saying refund may come anytime as it was filled manually. I also checked status online but didn’t get any info.
    Is there any other option to get the refund?

  19. My original itr has been processed. Before the intimation came to me I submitted a revised itr with some self assessment tax. What will be the fate of the revised itr? Will it be assessed ignoring the original itr? What is the law?

  20. Sir ,
    I filed my return before time in july , as i am into banking services also had claimed a refund which i normally do every year. This time the bank account details given to the department were not valid as the bank account had been closed. So again in september i filed a revised return mentioning a new account number. Now i got a msg of my itr processed of previous filed acknowledgment number . What will happen now sir? Will i get a refund as per the revised itr or will this lead to a more complicated process . Please suggest.

  21. Dear sir
    I already submitted itr . Now I want modify, by mistake I showed agriculture income, but now I change to salary or other, please guide me

  22. Hello sir
    Iam an insurance advisor and i filed my return first time for refund purpose. I filed online return itr 4 ( presumptive income) mistakenly. The status it shows itr verified successfully and i verified my return on july. Can i get the refund or file revised return with another itr form. Pls suggest me.

  23. i have submitted the income tax return for FY.2017-18, after that i realise as per 26As we are calculated the salary income in interest income and according that i have submitted the tax on it. Know i want revise the my return as per calculation of revise return i have refund, it is possible i get this? if i filled the my revise return. please advise my what i cant do it for refund the my excess income tax from income tax department.

  24. Hi Basavaraj,

    I had filed ITR through a 3rd party e-filing online platform for AY 17-18 end of July and also it was e-verified using Aadhar. I was getting a refund amount of 20+ thousand rupees.
    2 days later the same team revised my ITR without including HRA details and submitted it. I didn’t e-verify as the second one was wrong. My e-filing account says there is a return to be verified since last 3+ weeks.
    Can you help?


      1. Hi Basavaraj,

        Thank you for your reply.

        I came to know that I haven’t included HRA(It wasn’t included in my form 16) for AY 16-17 while filing AY 17-18. Hence I wanted to revise last AY. So I have paid them and asked to revise it but instead of revising AY 16-17 they revised 17-18. Now as the revised return for 17-18 is wrong I didn’t e-verified it. What should I do now?


          1. Hi Basavaraj,

            Thank you. I wanted to revise AY 16-17 because HRA was missed out. The so called “thirty party online platform”advised me not to revise the return of AY 16-17 as the IT dept had already processed a refund amount and I might have to payback the whole refund amount for further revision. So I decided to drop this just for the moment. What you say?

            Now coming to AY 17-18, Do you want me to e-verify the pending one and revise once again or should I go ahead and do another revision.

            It was a terrible experience with those guys hence I wanted to do it myself from now on. Don’t want to waste any of my time with them. What’s your advice on both AY?


  25. In my returns filed for AY 2016-17 filed on 3oth July 2016, I had missed out entering Assets & Liabilities.
    I have got a notice under 143(2) that my return is selected for limited computer scrutiny for details on Assets & Liabilities.
    I have now prepared these details on Assets & Liabilities
    Should I just upload the details to respond to the notice or do I need to revise my return to now include Assets & Liabilities.
    There is no change to my taxable income or tax liability.

      1. Thanks Sir.

        Just so I understanding your advice :
        I should respond online with the details on Assets & Liabilities as asked in this notice AND also file revised return for AY16-17 (with the assets & liabilities schedule now included) ?

  26. Sir, I e-returned my income tax as per my form 16 and submitted on 04.07.2017. My office accountant informed me that i need to add the additional income got from children education allowance. I am not included that amount in the net salary. I did self tax for children education allowance. but unfortunately i am not included the amount. as per original, I am getting refund that self tax amount i paid. Now I revised my income as per the correct income with in the due date in 139(5) and uploaded on 04.08.2017. But tax department consider only my original not consider the revised file and the amount also refunded. But CPC letter i couldn’t get so far. why they are not consider revised file. Now what shall i do, and how to proceed further. If I will get any fine from income tax department. pls explain

  27. Sir, I had filed returns for year 2011-2012 incorrectly and did a mistake again while filing revised returns for the same period. I entered ‘Gross Salary’ instead of ‘income under the head salaries’. Now IT dept is demanding 13000 to be paid. I have the FORM 16 provided by my employer. I replied them explaining my mistake. I am not sure what needs to be done further. Please help me.


  29. I had got intimation for 143 (A) that there are discrepancies in your filing .SO i went to E -proceedings and agreed for addition of income wherever the varaiation was .It asked to submit a revised ITR within 15 days.
    Can you please confirm from where in ITR website I can file that .Previosuly i used preapre and submit online ITR .But when I am trying same it is giving error only one ITR can be filed under 139 section

    1. SHivali-You have to click on the concerned IT Return file and then proceed for a revise. If you are unable to do that then take help of any tax expert. I can’t explain the whole step by step process in the comment field.

  30. Hi,

    I have already paid my income tax to the within the timeline and everify the details . But I later realised that there needs some correction and it needs to be revised. When I am trying to file the revised returm I am not able to locate the section where I mention BMR code and Challan details. Please let me know how could I proceed further.

  31. Hi,

    My ITR-1 for this year is filed with errors – my bad. I have not e-verified this return yet. Do I need to first e-verify before I submit a revised return ? Can I submit revised return before Jul 31 2017 ?

      1. wow, that was incredibly fast response. Much appreciated. Thanks a ton ! Do I need to e-verify my incorrect return ?

  32. Sir,
    I am filing ITR1 and filling the same salary mentioned in Form16(Income chargeable under the head Salaries(3-5)). But on submitting, I am getting error the amount of salary disclosed in Income details/Part BTI is less than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1
    what should be done for same can i fill the return it will not lead to any issue in future na

    1. Vishakha-It is mainly due to your employer mentioned your gross salary in the TDS section which is higher than what you have filled in the Income from Salaries due to the bug that’s there in the sheet. To fix this error, just modify the TDS sheet column 4 and change the amount to what is there in the Income chargeable under the head salaries in Form 16(pt 6).

  33. Dear Sir,
    i had file ITR for A.Y 2014-2015, but due to mistake i entered wrong data so it would reflect that you have to paid tax of Rs. 9660 to income tax dept. (Actually no need to pay any tax as per form-16. ) i have submit the slip to banglore and they said the same that rs 9660 has to be paid. now when i tried to submit ITR ofr A.Y 2015-2016, it say pay rs. 9660 then only u can further proceed. so don’t file ITR at that time
    now for A.Y 2016-2017 i have to claim for refund abt. Rs 30000.
    so how can i correct itr, for not to pay rs 9660 and claim my current amount
    pls guide.

    1. Jayesh-If you filed the earlier return within time and within the guidelines mentioned above, then you can revise it. If you still facing the issue, then it is better to take help of some tax experts of your area.

  34. Hi
    I filed my return under wrong assessment year through a website called H and R block. I received a mail to e verify my return. I am not e verifying it since it is wrong return. Is it possible to not e-verify and file a fresh return instead? or do I have to get an acknowledgement receipt and then revise it. The case here is that I filed my income of 13-14 under 15-16 (financial year). 13-14 had refund and 15-16 had extra tax liability.

    could you please help me understand how do I go about it. Should I e-verify and then revise return. Or should I wait for 120 days for this to get ill and then file fresh return under 15-16. (In the meantime I can file my 13-14 year before march 31 that is not a problem).
    P.S I do not have a CA.

  35. Sir,

    By mistake i filed my return for the year 2011-2012 wrong (I entered the income of the year 2012-2013) . Now Income tax office has sent me Notice under 143(1) for payment of 20000. I have Form 16 (provided by employer), which shows my correct income and taxes.

    Please suggest what I can do in this situation.


  36. Sir.

    I had filed the income tax in July but forgot to send itv There is no mistake in filing can I send the signed itv now will b accepted .
    Also I’ve received amessage saying send itv as soon as possible
    Moreover 120have passed

  37. hi, I had filed income tax return for my father for FY 2016-17. A notice has come with error 38 u/s 139 (9) with mention that tax payable is shown. It asks to pay tax and again upload xml file within 15 days. i have already missed the first deadline and this notice is a reminder. The tax payable is of interest from bank. During filing of the original return i had included the said interest amount as well had filled sch TDS2. My question is how to e file the tax liability online and where to pay that tax online (under what challan No and where).

    An early reply is requested. Thanks in advance.

      1. Dear Basavaraj,
        Thanks for the reply. i checked the link sent by you, however am not sure which challan to fill. i guess it should be 280 but then again which type of payment in 280 ie code 100,300, 400, 102, 106 or 107. the tax is to be submitted for interest on FD from bank. also am i eligible for relief under 80TTA, concerning interest from banks. Because then i will have to fill in the xml incl detls of 80 TTA. kindly help. Thanks.

  38. I am unable to e verify my tax till date for 2016-2017 can I refill the tax along with next one that is for 2017 2018

  39. My son wrongly filed the ITR for the AY 16-17 on the format saral 1 of AY 15-16. Only for 2-3 months in the year 2016 he did the job in India and got his salary accordingly for which Form 16 was also issued by his company. He was not even in the employment and was studying abroad during AY 15-16. Now there is a notice received by me in his name (he at present is working in Florida US). How can it be rectified. The data which were filled are as per Form 16 issued by his company.

  40. Hi i, am trying to file a revise return under section 17 .(revise 139(5)), but i have done e-verification for previous return. i did some mistake while filing the earlier return and now trying to correct & resubmit it, but its showing error “incorrect acknowledge number”.Can i file revise return even after successfully completing the e-verification for my previous return?

  41. Hello,
    I filed my ITR and got defective return and for it and error i got is ‘Taxpayer having income under the head “Profits and gains of Business or Profession” but has not filled Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Account as required in explanation (f) under section 139(9) read with section 44AA.’

    1. Can you guys can pls tell me how to correct this as i am a salaried person and and i have only 1 source of income.
    2. And can you guys explain this If i leave it and don’t reply for this defective issue can i file it again next year or not as i heard we have got 2 year window for that.

  42. I filed My ITR well within due date claiming relief u/s 89 but didn’t filed FORM 10E online, so therefore my Relief u/s 89 was rejected and received a notice u/s 143 with demand.
    I then followed Instruction in notice u/s 143 and filed Form 10E then Filed Rectification Request with No Further Correction Required Reprocess the case.
    Now when I checked Rectification status it shows Rectification Request Rejected and No email is received nor any reason is displayed.
    I checked for intimation u/s 154 but it shows “No record exist” so far.
    Kindly advice now what should be done; if Rectification request is rejected?
    If Rectification request is rejected then can someone file revised return?

    Thank You

  43. Sir,
    I filed my ITR in Form-ITR-1 and successfully e verified before due date. Then i realized that i filed my ITR in wrong form. Then i revised my ITR before its assessment in ITR-4 and successfully e verified ITR-4 as well.

    Now IT deptt has assessed my Original ITR-1 even after the revision. My revised ITR-4 is still under e verified stage. Please suggest me what to do sirji.
    Hemant Mishra

  44. In going through my past taxes I discovered I had not included interest on savings in my income of FY 2013-24. I am out of the one year revision period. Can I correct my taxes now and pay the difference?

  45. I have filed paper return for A.Y 2015-16 on 30-07-2017 (As the Income was below Rs. 5 Lakhs. Now I found some ommissions in that return and wanted to revise the same, due to which my Income increases the limit of Rs. 5 Lakhs and i have to file the revise return online. Now, while filing the revise return, it is giving error of wrong Acknowledgement number.
    I have verified the same from IT Department and they have verified my acknowledgement no. But It is still showing the same error. Any Solution???

      1. The same error is happening while revising another paper return electronically for A.Y 2015-16. Even the Juridictional A.O is unable to resolve my problem.

  46. I have filed manually ITR-V form on 30th July 2013 i.e. within time and revised return is submitted through tax planner on 22 Oct 2013 i.e. within one year. I have shown Rs.18000/- TDS in revised return which was not shown in original return by tax planner inadvertantly. He made follow up with IT deptt. but now my tax planner saying that ITO denied verbally that case is not in limit and out of date and hence revision order will not be issued. What to do? Where to make complaint. Can I complaint online for manual submission.

  47. sir
    i am a family pensioner,received arrears in FY 12-13 for FY 05-06,06-07,07-08,08-09,09-10,10-11,11-12,and 12-13.I have claimed relief u/s 89 but not sumitted form 10E.I have got notice u/s 139(9) for defective return but not taken care of it.My return is still defective.Now in FY 16-17 i have received arrears again for FY 05-06,06-07,07-08,08-09,09-10,10-11,11-12,and 12-13.I want to know that

    1.Can i claim relief u/s 89 for this year if my return is still defective or my claim will be entertained or not .
    2.Can i submit form 10E for FY 2012-13 or how can i correct my defective return.

      1. sir
        Virender here. you have mention that first respond it then get the claim what it means.I respond for what.

          1. But there is no communication no. Bcs the time for rectification expired, now how i get communication no.

  48. I have received Intimation Intimation U/S 143(1) for mismatch of TAN no. I have revised the return & also done rectfication of request.
    I made mistake to revised the return. I have any solution to cancelled the revised return ?
    Plesse advice

  49. Hi,

    I got the below defect raised by CPC in 19-Aug-16 but I came to today(29-Sep-16).

    Error Code – “38”

    Error Description :- “Tax liability is shown as payable in the return of income .”

    Problem Resolution : “The tax payer should pay the balance tax liability and furnish complete details in the corrected xml. Kindly ensure that there is no tax payable at the time of uploading the corrected XML.”

    Please suggest what is the error and how to correct it. Also suggest is it possible to rectify and file again as it is too late.


  50. Hello Sir,

    I had filed the returns twice(original and revised) within the due date. Should i E-verify both ITRV or just the revised.
    Please answer.

    Thanks in advance

    Rohan Chacko

  51. Hello,

    I missed to apply for ITR for the year AY 2014-2015.

    I have tried online it saying “The end date for filing this ITR is over.”
    I can understand from the message that filing date is over.

    Do you know any possible way to upload ITR for 2014-2015

  52. Sir
    I file original ITR-V FY 2015-2016 Ay 2016-2017 within time and I got full refund , but I want to file revised return due to some arrears calculation but I already got the refund but when I go to revised return form it shows 2600 refund but I already got the full return, so pls guide how I fill revised return without that return amount

  53. Hello Sir,

    I have filled the I.T returns for the AY 2011-12 Year manually, I am expecting a refund amount of 5210/- from I.T dept. I had already visited the Aayakar Bhavan in Hyderabad and submitted my cross check also. I didn’t receive the refund amount till now.

  54. sir i am filling itr-2 return in pysical mode for last 6 year and carrying forward long term losses .i intend to file return on line next year do i know that my loss has been carried out on line.i also seek information that they give receipt of return ,but donot inform, assessment is complete
    warm regards

  55. Sir, I have filed ITR 2014-15 & 2015-16 online by a mobile app. and also e verified the form. But the problem is that there is zero filled data i got for e verify and this was first time, i cant’t understand and e verify the form. I got zero filled return for both years. I tried for revise but there is no chance to revise because I have filled above ITR on Feb-2016. Give me advise to solve this problem.

    Thanking you.
    Santosh Sharma

  56. Hello,
    I have filed return online. Original ITR had some refund amount(5000) for me, and got to know I have filed it wrongly. And again I have revised my ITR and e-verified, now the refund amount is 1000.
    But, my original ITR is processed and I have got the refund. till now the revised return is not processed.
    Can you pleas let me know, how many days it will take the revised return to process? How do I return the extra refund amount?
    Please reply,


      1. Hello,
        Thanks for your reply, how do I need to repay the extra refunded amount after processing revised? Do they give instructions on repayment. Can u give me little detail on this, as I am very new to this filing….


  57. sir i have online ed a demand for my submitted my ITR before 5th august
    my itr has been processed & dept also created a demand for my rebate of sce 89 for arrears received
    as i haven’t filled form 10E. so what to do now to correct it .
    and i also haven’t taken rebate under sec 80 ccd2

  58. Hi,

    This query is for the coming year 2017-18 ( AY 2016-17 ).
    I am an NRI and have a house in India ( only house ) which has been let out and I am getting rental income. I have a house loan.

    What deductions, under what sections and to what extent can I claim Income Tax exemption ?
    Approx Principal Component paid back Rs. 3,00,000/-
    Approx Interest Component paid back Rs. 2,50,000/-


  59. Hi,

    I have filed ITR and also e verified the form. But the problem is that there is some due amount which I have to pay.

    What should I have to do now ?

    Please help. Thanks in Advance.

  60. Hi, I am filing the revised return now for the 2nd time but this is before the due date itself. My question is which acknowledgement number should i mentioned in the section A25?
    a. The acknowledgement number which i got after filing returns for the first time? OR
    b. The acknowledgement number which i got after filing the REVISED returns for the first time?

    Your reply would be of great help!

  61. A) How do we know assessment is done? Is it the mail taht come from IT Dept?
    B) My father did not claim any deduction under 80U – Handicapped. Can we go back and revise to claim deduction and get refunds?

  62. My wife did not mention Home loan principle in 80c for last financial year 2015-16, so it did not reflect in her form 16. Hence she had submitted returns online with that less amount in 80c. If she had entered correct amount she would get back around 2000 rupees, How can I correct that 80c amount of her & resubmit online? Pls help me on this

  63. Hello Sir….I just want to ask u while filing ITR, I got popup “salary disclosed in “income details/part bti” is less than 90% of salary reported in schedule tds1″ because salary reported in Schedule tds1 got autopopulated. Now I have submitted the form successfully. Is there any requirement to file revised return???

    My second Question is can we change the address while filing ITR?? if i have changed the address and form has already been submitted…Should i file revised return???

    Can u please answer my questions as soon as possible so that i can proceed further.

  64. i mentioned wrong TAN number in origina itr .then i revised itr with correct TAN.Both the returns are e verified .will be there any problem or any penalty for me .all the other details in original and revised returns are same and correct.i just put one wrong letter in tan number in original return .both the returns are filed with one day difference .please give any suggestion

  65. Hi .. I got following error “ Income details/part bti is less then 90% of salary reported in schedule TDS1.” while filing ITR. This error is due to amount shown in 26AS is gross salary before exemption u/s 10. The amount got auto populated in SCH TDS 1.The return got filed successfully. Do i need to worry about it or file a revised ITR ?

  66. Hi .. I got following error “ Income details/part bti is less then 90% of salary reported in schedule TDS1.” while filing ITR. This error is due gratuity paid by my previous employer which is exempted from tax in form 16 but shows in form 26AS as amount credited. The return got filed successfully. Do i need to worry about it or file a revised ITR ?

  67. Hi,

    I had shown xx amount in Form16, post which I had additional investment on 80c however did not update form 16.. but while e-filling ITR I have added all the investment (including the only invested). It was successfully submitted.. and have the acknowledge copy.. my question is since there a difference in Form 16 and ITR .. will it be accepted .. if not.. wat is the alternate to get it refunded.

    Thanks , Venkatesh

  68. Sir, I filed my ITR online through ITR 4S FY 2016-17, but forgot to mention amount of cash balance & stock in trade.

  69. sir,
    i have uploaded the return online for assessment year 2016-17, but paid the remaining tax (self assessment tax) after the return was uploaded, therefore the details of tax paid was not entered in the return. What should i do now, should i fill revised return or not.

      1. Sir I e filled ITR in may 2016 and now status showing ITR PROCESSED and got refund in my account . But I forget to add
        Employeer nps contribution in Gross salary also didn’t show in 80ccd(1b) .
        Should I file revised return .

  70. Sir I wrongly entered pmrf in 80g column instead of cmrf I filed itr1 and everification done how to modify 80g details.

  71. Sir,
    I filed my return through online Xls file ITR2 and successfully uploaded and verified the return for FY 15-16. After getting the acknowledgement, i realized that there is a spelling mistake in my surname. As a mistake, i wrote Nishra as my surname instead of Mishra and all other facts are correct.

    Now shall i need to revise my return. Kindly suggest for a possible remedy.

  72. Hi,
    I have filed 2016-17 ( AY 2015-2016 ) returns , sent ITR-V (acknowledgement ) to CPC and got the refund. Now I intend to file revised return. This time can I E-verify instead of sending the ITR-V acknowledgment physically to CPC

  73. Hi ,

    I had submitted ITR without paying tax , so i took a revised one and paid tax but this time unfortunately i forgot to enter BSR code and other details.

    So again i took a revised ITR form and submitted with correct details. I e- verified all 3 ITRs.

    do it leads any issue ?


    1. Any update on the 3 forms ? , i have e-verified only revised , not original. till then i didnt get ITR processed for revised.

      Do i need to E-verify original ITR

  74. Sir, I filed my return for FY 2015-16 last week. I realized I entered my employer details as PSU. whereas I work in private company. Should I have to revise return . Will it affect the ITR form number. I used winmam software.

  75. Hi,

    I have filed 2016-17 ( AY 2015-2016 ) returns , sent ITR-V (acknowledgement ) to CPC and got the refund.
    Now I intend to file revised return. This time can I E-verify instead of sending the ITR-V acknowledgment physically to CPC.

  76. I have filed my ITR online, after I hit submit, it showed the error saying amount has to be payed before filing the return, But it was filed successfully, I have not verified my return yet. I have now made the payment online using challan 280.

    What needs to be done now, Is there any way to cancel the previous one and redo fresh now as payment is done.

  77. I have filled and submitted my ITR (orignal but not e-verified it till now) but forgot pay the tax due. So I paid my tax dues and got the BSR code and challan no. After that I have filled a revised ITR return using Acknowledgement
    No and date (along with BSR code and challan no. under self assessment tax) and submitted it. Also I have e-verified the revised ITR form only. My concern is “Do I still need to e-verify my original ITR?”

      1. Currently When I view my e filled return/forms section, it is showing two entries for A.Y. 16-17. First one has Filling Type as Revised and its status is “Successfully e-Verified”( this is OK). The second entry has Filling Type as Original and its status is “Return uploaded pending for ITR-V/E-Verification” (Initially I filled this one but I have not e verified it because this one has taxes dues that is why I have filled the revised ITR as stated above). Also this original one is shown in e-verify section for e-verification. What should I Do with the original one ? a) Should I leave it as it is, because Revised one is complete and covering everything. Also original one is defective so no need to process it further. b)or should I e-verify the original one too, because the original one’s processing(e-verification) is required to process the Revised one. c) it will affect nothing whether I e-verify the original one or not in my case.

        What is the possibility?

  78. Hi, I filed my IT return through cleartax , gave current address city as Bangalore, but by silly mistake gave state as DELHI. Please let me know do I need to change it and if yes, how?

  79. Dear Sir,

    While filing return for Assessment Year 2016-17, got messege “Only one original ITR can be filled u/s 139(1). Please change the section & retry” after pressing submit button. Please advise what to do?

  80. Hello Sir,

    I’ve filed my IT-Returns for FY2015-16 on 27th July,2016 and the due date for FY2015-16 is 31st July, 2016. My IT Returns have been filed by a Certified CA.

    But I found the gross income on the IT Returns is wrong. Can I resubmit the IT-Returns now. If I will do so, do I need to pay fine to Income Tax. Dept. / imprisonment will be done?

    I am ready to resubmit the returns now.

  81. Sir, I have summitted ITR-1 for the AY – 2009-2010 & 2011-2012. (not e filling) I have the acknowledment also
    I have verified the my IT account where i noticed the Out standing Demand uploaded by AO. In that notice there is Acknowledgement No also given. What is to be done in this case?


  82. Dear Sir,

    I filed ITR for the Assessment year 2015-16 today through ITR1 form, e-verification is pending still. I understand that this should have been done by 31st July last year. Moreover, I have a tax payable of some amount for the same. I realised that I need to pay this amount and then file the return but have already submitted the return before paying it. When I learnt my mistake, I refrained from e-verification.

    I have these concerns – 1. I understand that I am supposed to file a belated return since I am past the relevant assessment year (2015-16). Have I used the correct form (I have usedITR1)?

    2. I already submitted the form without paying the excess tax payable but have not done the e-verification.

    I also read somewhere that returns after the due date cannot be revised.

    What should I do now to pay the pending tax payable for AY 2015-16 and file the return correctly?

    I am really tensed because of these mistakes and complications. Any directions from you will be immensely appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

      1. Hi Basav,

        Many thanks.

        Yes, I have those details. But I submitted it after the due date, can it still be revised ?

        And also, is ITR1 okay to be used for belated returns ?


  83. Dear sir ,

    I filed ITR1 for year 2013-14 in year 2014-15 and got refund of Rs 5190/-
    but by mistake filed ITR1 of year 2014-15 in 2013-14 , now got Acknowledgement fro IT that i have to pay back 4960/-
    please advise how can i correct my mistake .

    please note filed ITR 1 for year 2014-15 and ITR 1 of 2015-16 properly and sent back to CPC .

    awaiting for your valuable advise


  84. sir!
    I have filled my IRT-1 for 2016-2017 through efilling but i have entered the tax deducted amount in 80U instead of 80C of deduction under chapter VI A. so i have been charged tax payable of 2770.what should i do. And my form is still pending

  85. Dear Sir, I filled online ITR-1 form.In addition to salary income and corresponding tax deducted my employer as TDS which was there in the ITR form, I entered my other income and additional Rs.4400/- was to be paid by me. I remitted this amount to SBI through E-pay tax option. In a hurry without updating this data or particulars in the ITR form I submitted it. But before e-verification of the return I realized my mistake of not updating the additional tax paid by me. So , e- verification is pending for this incomplete submission. Acknowledgment no. is already generated.
    Sir, shall I ignore this submission and go for fresh one or go for revised option.
    please help sir.

      1. Sir, my original submission is not completed since e- verification is still pending. So is it ok to go for revised submission? whether system will accept the

  86. Sir, I revised my ITR return for year 15-16 with Tax refund and i already got refund. Does revised ITR go through strict scrutiny. Once I receive refund, does AO do again reverify for details ?

  87. Sir,
    I have filed my itr1 2 days before, e verify is not yet done. I find after submitting itr1 tax payment 1970/- .
    Could you please suggest how to pay this tax amount, which form/challan to be used for paying the due tax. After payment of the tax do i need to resubmit or revise the submitted itr 1 form?

    Thanks in advance

  88. Sir,
    I have worked in two different companies for the last financial year . Due to this,I have 2 Form-16 and total TDS deducted in my Forn-16 ( both the companies) is less than required. I have e-filed the return with all the details showing tax payable on line on efiling site. But, I am yet to submit my Self Assessment tax . I will submit the same tomorrow in the bank.

    Hence , i have not filled the details of ( bank challan/BSR Code ) in the efiled ITR.

    What should i do after submitting my self assessment tax in the bank .

    Do I need to file ITR again ?
    and if so , how?

    However, i have not verified my uploaded ITR and also not sent the same to CPC.

      1. I just had word word with ITR Call center. They said , no need to e-verify or send the same .
        Just file revised one with the changes selecting revised under sect( ) at A22 row in online form.
        E-verify the revised one.

        Any suggestions?



    1. As per my experience for the same incident, please file again with quick e-filing.
      Select the option for revised in Row A22 : 139(5) – revised return.
      In A25 , put acknowledgement number for the earlier filed ITR and Date.
      That’s it .
      Don’t forget to put the Self assessment tax details this time . Just e-verify/ send to CVC this revised one only .

      Don’t verify the earlier one.


  89. Sir. I have filled the ITR 1 and downloaded the ITR V today. After that I noted, I have filled my name in the verification field as R KANNAN instead of RANGANATHACHARIAR KANNAN, son of RANGANATHACHARIAR. But the name as per the form is RANGANATHACHARIAR KANNAN. Is it ok or I have to revise the return? Other details are perfect. Please help me sir…

  90. Dear Sir,
    I filed my IT return for FY 2015-2016
    (AY 2016-2017) online and received acknowledgement.
    Through oversight I have not furnished exempted income details ie:PPF interest, mutual fund income etc.

    Kindly advise how I can set right this inadvertent omission.

    Awaiting your advice.

  91. Sir,

    I have filed by ITR-1 on 11th July for FY 15-16. I have also done the e-verification of it using Aadhar OTP and the EVC is also accepted. But now I realize I have made some mistakes in filling up the TDS for which I need to make corrections. So is there a way i can edit or re-file the ITR-1 ? Or do I have to file a revised return? If I have to file a revised return, can i file it now itself or there are any dependencies on the I-T department?

    Thank You.

  92. Dear Mr. Basavaraj,
    I have e-filed my ITR-1 yesterday, but just before posting the ITR-V realized that under section 80C I submitted an incorrect amount (included PPF of 1.5 lakhs but missed my entire PF amount), though the full exempt of 1.5lakhs is shown and correct tax is calculated by the system. Thus, the saving amount under 80C does not match my Form 16 from my govt job.

    Do I proceed with a revised submission of ITR-1, mentioning “Revised return” and under 139-5?
    I ask this because you have mentioned “(3) You can file revised return only if you found any omission or wrong statement in your previous return. But not for any concealment or false statement.”
    Is my original comes under “omission or wrong statement” or “concealment or false statement”?
    I am confused because of words wrong in one and false in the other.

          1. That was my point. I forgot to mention/include the PF + PLI amounts (390000) in the left side column in ITR-1. Included only the PPF of 150000, which showed the same maximum deduction under 80C 80CCC, and thus the tax paid etc would not change.

  93. hello sir
    i have already got the half tds of assessment year 2016-17 but, how could i get remaining tds. When i am filling ITR1 then there is a message- “Only one original ITR can be filled u/s139(1). Please change the section & retry”

  94. Respected Sir,

    My department give the Salary of FY 2014-15 in FY 2015-16 as arrear due to some departmental/ Personal reasons

    Now i want to revise my return of FY 2014-15 with adjustment of salary taken by me in FY 2015-16

    My 26AS TDS Certificate Shows FY 2014-15 as NILL & FY 2015-16 as 34350 Which include the TDS of FY 2014-15.

    Please Guide me how i correctly File the return.

  95. Dear Basavaraj,

    On 15th June 2016, i have submitted the ITR for the financial year 2015-16. I supposed to pay Rs. 4100 excess tax amount, Without paying this ammount i have submitted the ITR. now in acknowledgement it is showing as Tax Payable (6-7e) = 4100.

    Should i need to resubmit the ITR form or i can edit the submited return form after paying the tax . (but i did not find the any option to edit the ITR form in portal) .

      1. I got that Sir but my question was after paying the tax can i resubmit the ITR, and if how to do that. if i can not resubmit the ITR then what should i do next?

          1. Resubmit in the sense i have already submitted the ITR form in website, but i can not find any option edit the amounts in ITR. So i am asking you that after paying remaining tax where should i fill the extra paid information.
            should i need to submit the fresh ITR and with correct information or is there any way that i can update the new information in already submitted ITR.
            buy the way still i have not e-verified the submitted ITR.

  96. Dear Sir,

    On 19 Jan 2016 I had filed my return for Assessment year 15-16 but I have made a very big mistake and filed the return with income details from FY15-16 instead of FY14-15. I got employed in March 2015 , so for FY14-15 I should have filed return with very minimal income but i filed with income details from FY15-16.
    Now, I have received intimation for demand of 40000 tax. For this I’m trying to file rectification request under “Taxpayer is correcting the Data in Rectification”, but I’m being asked to select reason from list of 22 reasons. Can you please tell which reasons I should select and if I’m following the right process.

    Thank you very much

  97. Dear sir, I have already applied TDS and got amount for 2016-17 now again got intimation for same and the amont also increased.. what can I do now?. Shall I file it again for same 2016-17

  98. Yesterday while trying to file the ITR for 2016-2017, I made a mistake by filing it without giving value for the income (Rs. 0). But I didn’t e-verify it.

    If I do not send the ITR V for verification within 120 days, will it become void?

    If so, can I file a new ITR as original ? or I should stiill file a new ITR as revised?

    If it is to be filed as revised, should I e-verify both the ITR’s?

    Also, if I’m going to submit my ITR for some sort of need, say to a bank, then should I submit both original and revised ITR’s?

    I’m sorry, I’m new to filing ITR. Kindly educate me.

  99. I had file ITR return on 09.05.16 for financial year 2015-16. I was supposed to file employees itr from March 15 to Feb16 but instead I filed from Mar15 to Mar16. How can i rectify it? I mean to say how can i file revise return by removing challan of march month.

  100. Hello Sir

    I had filed Income tax return for FY 12-13 in that i entered the salary of FY13-14 by mistake and it showed that i owe another 2000 rs as income tax instead of zero rs . i paid this amount via chalan for year FY 13-14 and later realised that i had entered the wrong income and thus paid 2000 rs extra , now i am getting notice for 2012-13 that i owe tax department 2000 rs and getting following error while trying to resubmit my return ” the ENd Date for Filing this ITR is Over ” Please suggest what needs to be done

  101. for AY 2014-15 I paid advance tax Rs.60,000.

    But while preparing ITR I made arithmetic errror and calculated tax as Rs.40,000 and claimed refund Rs.20,000

    Time limit for itr filing is over. Will IT Dept penalise me for this error although in fact IT amount had been paid correctly?

  102. Hello Sir,
    I am a working professional and filled my ITR for AY 15-16 and submitted returns in Nov 2015. I had a tax payable of 80,000 Rs which I paid online and submitted my ITR online. I though failed to fill the deposited tax details in my ITR before submission.
    I got a response from IT Deptt to put in the tax paid details and resubmit the XML. Now when I fill the details of the Tax deposit of 80000 Rs in my ITR, the tax payable jumps to 85000 Rs calculating the delay etc. This is not bringing the tax payable to zero as suggested by ITD. What should i do now ?

  103. Dear sir
    I have filed the return of FY 2013-14 and assessment was also complete. Now i received the pending salary of the year 2013-14 in the year 2016-17. Can i show this income in the year 2013-14? Can i file the revised return of the FY 2013-14 with this pending salary amount? Please suggest.

  104. Today, i was fill ITR first time. I was fill ITR-1 for AY 15-16. But unfortunately i provide worng data due to confusion between AY and FY. Then i filled revised ITR and e-verify only revised ITR. Is it necessary to also verify original ITR..?

  105. Hi,

    I was studying pg during 2013-14. Before that i was working and paid my taxes. As i was getting only stipend, I did not pay my taxes during the above said period. I have received multiple reminders from IT dept that I should file return. Hence I filed myself a return for assessment year 2014-15 that too was defective in gross total stipend. Now I came to know that no need for filing for getting stipend. What to do now?

  106. I have filed original ITR1 for AY 13-14 in due time. Some deduction items (LIC policies) was not entered at that time.
    Please inform whether I can claim the refund now by filing a revised return.

      1. Basavaraj- I have already got the refund amount as per the return as per the intimation U/S 143(1).

        and I noticed the omission of some deduction items now only. Please clarify whether I can proceed with a revised return to claim the refund.

  107. Hi
    I am abroad for past two years. AY 15-16 return i filed as RI. I have about INR 2000 refund. Now i realise, i should have filed it as NRI. My question is can i change my status by filing revised return?

  108. Hi,
    I had filed income tax on time. My assessment is done and I received a response that I have a pay the income tax department. But as per my Form 16 nothing has to be paid. The confusion is that I had a foreign tax credit and I think I filed the wrong ITR form ( I used ITR-1 but I should have used ITR-2 as per my current enlightment ).
    I read that Revision is only allowed when assessment is not done.
    And for rectification ITR forms cannot be changed. I am not sure what to do. Can you please help and guide me ?
    There is a section online on the income tax website which says respond whether demand from income tax is correct , incorrect or partially correct ?

      1. Dear Sir,

        I am NRI and recently filled return for 2014-15 and 15-16 where assessment completed and I got refund too.
        But my problem is that I used ITR-1 not ITR-2. Please guide me what to do or should go ahead with correct ITR-2 from next year return, leaving old as it is.

  109. Sir
    I received arrear of Rs. 486326 on a/c of Pension, DA, LTA, OAA including Rs. 92968 gratuity during the current FY ie 2015-16 pertaining to FY 2006-07 to 2015-16.I always sent my ITRs in time and never defaulted. Can I gainfully send revised ITRs by bifurcation the amount i years, obvioudly 10, to save income tax? Pl. advise me.
    Gurmit Singh

      1. Sir
        Many thanks for reply. My own thinking is that this curent year, my income shall be about Rs. 9 lacks and shall be subject to heavy tax. Tax of Rs. 41000 has already been deducted as TDS. The income on acccount of arrears pertains to the last ten years, so, if it can be adjusted in the respective years, then, I feel there might be need for revised Return. Kindly advise.

  110. I have received a Demand Notice from Income Tax Department for the F.Y. 2009-10 & 2010-11. I am working for a government organization and tax was deducted and remitted in time. However, due to incorrect filing of Quarterly Return by the agent concerned I have received the current Demand Notice.
    I had filed the return for these 2 years through this agent only. While I have with me the acknowledgement for F.Y. 2009-10, the same is not available for 2010-11. Since the agent is not cooperating I obtained a letter from my office and submitted all documentary evidence in the Income Tax Ward at Thane Maharashtra.
    On the basis of documentary evidence they have rectified the quarterly return for 2009-10 as acknowledgement is available for this year. For rectifying the returns for F.Y. 2010-11 the authorities are demanding the acknowledgement receipt but the agent is not ready to part with this acknowledgement also.
    How to resolve this issue. The returns for both these years were filed offline.

  111. sir i am filing itr2 in paper form and carrying forward ltcg losses for past 4 years . how can i know that my return has been accepted /assessed and losses are recorded for future adjustment
    your sincerly

  112. I filed the IT-R for FY 14-15, and it got assessed and I got the refund as well.
    Just recently I came to know from my friend, that we can show the severance pay but I missed out to show the severance pay, which I got from my previous employer during the same period FY 14-15. Now what options I got. Please advice me.

  113. sir,
    i fill the wrong itr with salaried account value rs. 0
    and the time of accessment has already go
    then what can i do please tell
    thanku sir in advance

  114. Sir, had mistakenly entered 500000 in gross salary, but it should be 530000 in assessment year 2015-2016.. Is it possible to file request online….?
    and i got refund. what can i do sir
    how to fill wrong refund amount itr
    Pls help me or else is there any chance for changing assessment year

  115. Sir, In rectification I had mistakenly entered 890000 in gross salary, but it should be 780000 in assessment year 2012-2013.. Is it possible to file request online….?

    Because I already met an AO, he is not interested to take up my case and want to proceed for u/s 245

    Pls help me or else is there any chance for changing assessment year

  116. Sir,

    I had filed my return online with the status as tax payable and then paid my taxes online before the due date. I had e verified my ITR before the due date itself. Now i got an notification letter stating that return filed by me is defective u/s 139(9) of the Income Tax Act, 1961.

    38 Tax liability is shown as payable in the return of income .
    The tax payer should pay the balance tax liability and furnish
    complete details in the corrected xml. Kindly ensure that
    there is no tax payable at the time of uploading the corrected

    Now when i tried to generate the xml file using the java utility for filling and when i am giving the excat income details as before , the rebate amount is not getting populated. The tax amount which i had paid online is getting populated and ideally it should have shown me nill tax balance. But since the rebate is not populating it is again showing me the tax payable which is the rebate amount. Kindly let me know if there is any solution for the same.

    Thanks in Advance,

  117. Hi , I am a Salaried person , I Received DN from IT U/s 143(1) for AY 2008-2009 , where as all TDS were deducted correctly & shown in Form16 , On this regard met AO & Submitted application to reconsider . Later my PAN DB shifted to other city . From last 03 year i am submitting return through online , This year i found AO of the Current City has raised DN again . When i met AO , he checked Form16 , ITR-1 form & asked me to get TDS deduction certificate from the employer. I submitted all Docs including those acknowledge copy of earlier application , Now this has been 02 month , there is no response from IT Dept. Now for AY 2015-2016 i have Tax refund , Now CPC has send me a communication U/s 245 on the earlier demand . Shall i submit again a revised return or to approach Ombudsman to get this addressed . Pl suggest

  118. I filed my ITR for the FY2012-2013(AY2013-2014)… & I send the ITR-V by post also.
    In that I wrongly mentioned the TDS paid by me. ( I mentaioned less than, what I am paid).

    Now I want to refile the ITR for the year AY2013-14.

    Currently I don’t have the excel sheet , because it was done on behalf of me.

    How shall I file my return now ?

  119. Hi BT, I got error 38 from CPC which states TAX LIABILITY IS SHOWN AS PAYABLE IN THE RETURN OF INCOME.
    Not sure how do I resubmit return and update .XML for rectification.
    Please advise.

      1. Hi am also having same problem …re-calucated and amount showed in LIC is wrongly kept…now i have to pay 8000 ..please suggest me how to pay and submit again..

        Some of my details..

        1) Am an private employee and .company deducting Tax every month .

      2. I am also getting the same error “Tax liability is shown as payable in the return of income .” dont know what should i do. Plz help me.

  120. “Notice No (Where the Original Return filed was defective and a notice is issued to the assessee to file a fresh return Sec 139(9)”
    the above referred sentence which i have to fill. Communication reference no.(exp CPC /…………..) or acknowledgement no.

  121. Sir,

    My father expired on 5th March 2015. He was retired government employee and was getting monthly pension. I filled online ITR on behalf of him and e-verified the same. Current status of ITR is “e-verfied successfully”

    Recently, I came to know that Legal heir should register the deceased person’s PAN and legal heir’s PAN on the e-filing portal , get it approved and then file ITR on behalf of deceased. but I filled my father ITR without registering Legal Heir. So should i register my Father’s PAN card with Legal Heir , get it approved and again file the Revised ITR or current one would be okk.

    Your help is highly appreciated.

    With Thanks & Regards


  122. I have filed ITR online 10 days before due date. Immediately after filing ITR, I realized that I missed to declare the details of all my SB accounts. I haven’t send the ITR-V yet. Can I just submit ITR again with bank details and just avoid sending ITR-V for my first e-filing? or do I have to submit a revised return and send ITR-V of both?

  123. Sir, my mother is pensioner and her salary is not taxable. TDS has been deducted from bank FD interest. I filed itr but forgot to enter income in TDs sch1. Should I revised itr and fill income in TDs sch1 column or tds amount will be refunded automatically.



    NOW I AGAIN TRY FOR REVISED BUT NOT POSSIBLE, IT SHOWS – Only one Original ITR can be filed u/s 139(1). Please change the section and retry.

    IF I SELECT REVISED OPTION THEN IT SHOWS- Return type in Income Details cannot be revised if return NOT filed under section 139(5)




  125. My father in law uploaded the ITR for FS 2014-15 on 22.08.15 but not yet e-verified or ITR-V sent to CPC. He claimed only 1.19 lach instead of 1.5 lach under 80C deduction where he is eligible to claim 1.5 lach. Now again he uploaded revised return on 25.08.15 & again he did the same mistake.Now I rectified it & finally uploaded 2nd revised return on 01.09.15.Now all 3(1-original,2-revised) ITR for FS 2014-15 are to be e-verified.I having 2 option:
    1.E-verify all 3 returns.
    2.E-verify the original & correct revised(read 2nd revised) return. Plz tell me what should I do now?

  126. Hi, few days back i noticed that I have to pay additional amount for tax for the year 2012-13. I paid it now through chalan. I know it is very very late but can i file revised return now. Any issue in doing so.

      1. You mean no issue in filing revised.. Correct
        Just for your information ITR is processed already for the said year.

          1. Hi, some time back i noticed that I have to pay additional amount for tax for the year 2012-13. Last month i paid it online. I know it is very very late but can i file revised return now. Any issue in doing so.Just for your information ITR is processed already for the said year.

  127. Dear sir
    I working with PSU and i e file my Returns on 30/08/2015. I used ITR 2 in that I claimed Coveyance expenses under Exempt Income head amounting Rs.45000. Now I feel I should not mention that amount in Exempt Income. Can I file revised Ratuns by removing the Exempt Income amont. I already E verified the acknowledgement …Kindly guide me….

  128. Hi Basavaraj

    I need a advice, Please suggest, I filed IT-return and I received verification form, But while filing the returns by over site I typed my deduction value more (Amount comes under 80C), Do I need to revise my return?

    Please suggest and thanks in advance


  129. Hello Sir,

    I filed IT return Online, I received Indian Income Tax Return Verification form which I have to send through post within 120 days, But While filing the return by Over site I added 80C value (amount) more because of that in verification form the refund amount is calculated more but that is not correct
    Suggest me what can I do?

    Do I need to revise my Income-tax-Return with correct 80C amount value entered.
    Please suggest waiting for your reply..

    Thank You


  130. Hello Sir,
    I have filed the ITR form with tax payable amount.
    How should i proceed further?
    Post paying the tax using challan 280.. should i submit the itr form again? or should i fill the revised itr form?
    Please provide your suggestions at the earliest.

    Thanks in advance.

      1. Hi Basavraj,

        I have paid the due amount using challan 280 post filing the ITR need to confirm what is the post action to be done.

          1. Hello Basavaraj,

            you mean to say that I should not file the ITRE again?

            The point is that ,
            1. I have filed the ITR
            2. e-verified it.
            3. Got the acknowledgment as well.
            4. then identified that I need to pay the tax that I havent paid before filing the ITR.
            5. I have paid the tax now using challan 280.

            Now, my question is , initially when I had filed the ITR , at that time it was showning as tax payable amount.
            Now that after filing the ITR form and getting the ack for the same, I have payed the taxes, so again do i need to file the revised itr form mentioning the challan details?

            Please suggest.

  131. Dear Basavaraj,
    I filed my return online yesterday, i.e 30/08/2015( not through the excel utility), but I forgot to enter the challan Number. I got the e- filling acknowledgement number and have not verified it using e-verification from banks netbanking.
    Do I need to revise it through 139(5) section or can I revise it as new IT filling.
    Need your Guidance !!
    Thanks a Lot in Advance.
    Please Help.

      1. Dear Basavaraj,

        Sorry for bothering you again.

        I had already paid the challan amount, but did not mention the challan no and BSR code while filling ITR.

        And i have not e-verified yet. Should i send it to CPC or fill revise form.

        Kindly advise.

        Thanks !

  132. Sir,
    I am worling in mumbai municipal corporation(PSU).I have filed online my itr1 on 30/8/15 through later on I realized they made some mistakes (they submitted employer as others and incorrectly spelled father’s name),what should I do? Do I need to revise it and file again separately ? Please guide.

  133. Hello sir,

    I switched job in the month of March 2015. My previous employer deducted TDS but my current employer did not. However i paid self assessment tax on the same.

    The mistake i did is that i filled ITR-1 and in that added GTI of both the employers and made the calculations without showing the current employer.

    Do i need to revise it and file ITR – 2A.

    Kindly advise sir.

    Thank you.

  134. Dear sir,

    I have filed my income tax returns on line and sent the documents to CPC for verification. The status is showing “Return uploaded, pending for ITR-V/ E-Verification”. On re-verification, I have found, my interest income in all SB accounts adds up to Rs.20,000/= and if I deduct, Rs. 10,000/=, then I have to pay income tax of Rs. 3150/= for the balance amount.

    My query is :
    1. Can I pay the due amount by e-payment option and re-file the income tax return after I get verification confirmation from CPC or file revised returns immediately after e-payment?
    2. What happens if I pay the due amount by e-payment now and do not file revised returns?

      1. Thanks for the clarifications.

        Kindlyconfirm, when I have file revised return, i.e. after I get verification confirmation from CPC or file revised returns immediately after e-payment?

  135. I have filled ITR-1 online but there were some data missing and I submitted it. Now I want to edit it and submit it. Is there any option to do so? I can’t submit a new one as only one form can be submitted. Please help!

  136. While Submitting the XML file on its shows below error
    “only one original itr can be filed u/s 139(1). please change the section and retry”
    Please let me know how to resolve this error.

  137. sir, i am private consultant , and by mistake i have filled and submitted itrv-1 instead of itrv-4s.what i have to do? .should i have to wait for intimation from income tax department?? or should i have to fill revised form now only and send?

  138. Sir,

    I submitted ITR-1 on 14/7/2015 and it has been processed and notice sent to my permanent address u/s 139/9.

    I have rectified and uploaded the rectified xml yesterday. But after going through some articles I come to know that I need to submit ITR-2A or ITR-2. I am trying to submit the ITR-2A and it is not allowing.

    I am holding two house properties rented and staying on rental . What should be done here as I am approaching the end date for file return? Your suggessions are welcome

    Santosh Ganji

      1. Dear Sir
        Your site is very useful for the people.
        My query is i have asked the tax expert to file my return online(E filing),
        He entered my income correctly, but bi mistake he entered deduction of others in file and shown refund to me for which i am not eligible and up loaded. I have recieved acknowlegement.
        Now what I have to do. Pl suggest me at early.
        Thanku for your services

          1. Thanks for reply

            Is there any penalty or scrutiny for that and whether we land in a problem for wrong deductions in original.

      2. Same in my case. I have filed under ITR I but later found that if exempted income is more than Rs. 5000/- we should file under under ITR 2. I have salary income and I hold 1 house property which is self occupied.

        Should I file revised return?

  139. Dear Sir,
    In the Previous F.Y I worked in the 2 companies and got Form 16 from both the companies but at the time of filing my Return I have mistakenly mentioned Salary from only one employer and due to that I got the refund .Now what should I do to rectify my mistake as I have to make the payment through Self Assessment tax of the amount which I have received in my refund or what .Please reply asap

  140. I filed my original returns and also completed everification. Later realised that I have missed to update the housing loan details due to which my status changed to Tax payable.

    Tried to file a revised return:
    Income details tab is updated with the housing loan but unable to select Revised from the drop down in filing status field with error: Update to income details cannot be revised under section 135(5).

    Please guide.

  141. By mistake I clicked one submit button while filing ITR on 14th Aug.. I did not realise this that time.

    When I tried filing ITR again on 24.08.15 I was able to file. I paid some tax amount through net banking also and got the BSR details.
    Now my summary shows tax filed on 14th Aug and does not show the ITR which I filled on 24.08.15.
    Please guide how can I correct this error.

      1. How to cancel. I am unable to understand the excel file concept mentioned above. I had directly filled the details on income tax Website.

        How to I cancel that and link the new details through which i paid the amount also.

  142. Hi,
    I have filed ITR 1 online and provided all correct details in tax information page. but in Sch1 Tds tab total salary mentioned for one of my employer is mentioned less. so, total salary credied to me is less than salary filled by me in tax information tab and my tax status is refundable. do I need to revise return to correct Sch1 Tds details.

  143. Dear Basu,

    My Form 16 has gross total income as 511787, whille filing returns under the TDS income chargeable under the head salaries its showing the gross salary as 630511. Because of this im getting an error “If the amount of salary in income details/part bti is less then 90% of salary reported in schedule TDS1. What amount should be there under “TDS income chargeable under the head salaries ” 511787 or 630511

  144. 1. I switched my job last year & in former company form-16, HRA is not added. Can I take the Taxable income-HRA while computing? Is there any provision for HRA while e-filing?

    Also, If I do so, it will show different figures in form16 & what I declared? Will it be problem?

    2. I filed my return & later noticed that I had to pay 5200 tax. Later I paid the tax through bank & got the Challan number , BSR code and all. Whether I need to revise my IT return just to mention these detail or it will be available for IT?

    1. Sharath-1) You have to leave the days for which your employer not provided HRA and for rest of the period consider the HRA and calculate it partly.
      2) If you paid the tax dues then no need to revise.

      1. Thanks for reply!

        1. So, as per you, I can deduct HRA (36k) for the applicable period (6mths with prev employer) from Gross (4Lkh) & consider it as income (3,64,000). Even though this shows difference in actual declared (3,64,000) & form-16 income (4Lhk), income tax verification dept will not question.

        2. Though ITR-1 acknowledgment shows the pending tax (since I haven’t mentioned challen no) , there is no need to revise my return just to add challen number (as I have already paid balance tax).

        Above is my understanding. Pls confirm Once.

        Thanks in advance 🙂

  145. Hi,

    In march, I got letter from CPC mentioned ERROR code : 38 order u/s 139(9) for AY 2013-14.

    I have checked my form16 & form 26AS. That year my employer already valid TDS from my salary in 5 installments but now I am checking my Form 26AS. Out of 5, 4 instalments with “status of booking” is F & 1 with status U.

    In one of the comment, i found some steps to send e-file in response to Notice u/s 139(9). I have followed with my details but this giving me mismatched details error.

    I had talk with CPC department & my local IT accessing officer. As i have e-file my ITR they doesn’t have my details.
    CPC told me to send valid Form 16 & Form 26AS but my employer provided me Form 16 with TRACES logo & now my employer have shut down . So i am stuck what to do. can you please help me how to resolve this issue.


  146. sir.
    i hv send both copies of original and revised return in same envelope for AY 2015-16 to CPC but in their website in received column they are showing ‘received’ of original return only .. what to do?

  147. I have uploaded the IT returns(ITR-V) and after uploading, immediately I found that there are mistakes. So, I have n’t did any e-verification for Original Filing. So, it’s status is Pending for ITR-V/E-Verification. But, on the same day, I corrected the mistakes and did the Revised filing. And also did the e-verification successfully. It’s status is Successfully e-verified. But, I am getting mails from Income Tax CPC to do the verification for Original Filing as it is pending. But, it has mistakes and that’s the reason why I have filed Revised Filing and e-verified the same. Will the revised Filing gets ITR processed status in this case? Please let me know.

  148. hi basu
    I filled my income tax return for AY 2014-15 before due date. I have received intimated vide 143. I have not taken hra exemption while filing the return. the hra paid is in tune of rs 196000. can I revise it now and ask for exemption now.

  149. Sir,

    I’ve an option for ESPP (employee stock purchase plan) in my company. I sold some of these shares in F.Y. 2014-15 and included the profit under ‘Income from other sources’ in ITR-1
    Now I realize that it was a STCG and I should”ve filed ITR-2. What should I do? Can I revise my return?


  150. Hi,
    I am salaried employee and selected form is ITR1.
    Total income mentioned in SCH TDS1 (which is according to Form 26 AS) is around 1 lakh less than my taxable income (after HRA deduction).
    Q1. Can i edit total salary credited amount in SCH TDS1 ?
    Q2. If yes, then should i mention gross salary or salary after HRA deduction ?
    Q3. In ITR1 form, Presonal information tab, A19. Employer Category dropdown have following option
    Government,Public Sector,Other, Not Applicable
    I am working in Pvt Ltd company. which option should i select ?

      1. Thanks for reply. I have tried to contact my employer but they are not responding my email. Please suggest what should i do in this case ?

  151. My return is received by CPC Bangalore on 12/08/2015. Only receipt by them is updated. Now I found that a secondary account declaration of a account is wrong, means I have given wrong IFSC Code for that bank a/c only.
    What should I do? should I file a revised one and send it or anything else?

  152. Hi Basu, I filed my return online today, i.e 15/08/2015, but I did not claim exemption on rent paid dusring the last financial year, I verified it using e-verification from banks netbanking. How do I correct this ommission. Can I immediately revise the return by using the rectification option. Plz help

      1. Hello!

        I forgot to enter Self assement tax details in the ITR I while filing it Online. I have not sent ITR V yet. HOw do I correct it?

        This is bit strange that that it didnt validate the tax payable before accepting it!

        Please guide.

        Thanks in advance


          1. NO. I have only submitted the form online (not the Excel utility). and very next moment i realized it was by mistake.

            Thanks for your prompt reply


  153. Sir

    My company has provided me with FORM16. The income shown in the form is aroung 6.6LPA.
    According to them tax payable is 19000. But this was calculated in january and after that i made another saving under 80C of 20,000. When filing tax i am expected to get another 1900 as refund but while submitting the form i get the message “Income details/Part BTI” is less
    than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1.”. What shuld I do:
    * Should I Continue with this and attach the proof for additional 20000 investment made at feb end.??

  154. I am getting the error “If the amount of salary disclosed in “Income details/Part BTI” is less
    than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1.” Can i file the return

  155. sir i have filled my return itr 2 physically,as my income was under 5 lac and i am not used to electronic filing. i made a mistake of not writing – INCOME UNDER THE HEAD “CAPITAL GAIN”{A8+B10} i.e C .this column is left empty. how serious is this mistake.although nither this is going to affect any further calculation a nor have any tax liablity.i have been carrying forward LTCG loss of 4 lac of earlier years.if return gets defective do i loose this benefit. what should i do
    warm regards

  156. Sir,
    I filed my ITR for AY 2013-14 well in time .Unfortunately the DDO did not mention the tax which I had paid
    as self assessed tax in Form -26. Though I was expecting hand some amount of refund, but Income Tax Deptt. raised demand with the remarks that my TDS mismatch with my ITR. I got it corrected and rectification was submitted to the department,but the same communication has been repeated despite of rectification. What to do? Please guide.

  157. Sir,
    I have filed itr1 but i found some mistakes in original return. So i filed revised return. Now i have verify revised retun. Should i verify original retun also. Please help me.

      1. Hi,
        In some answers you have mentioned that we need to e-verify both original and revised return and in some you have mentioned to e-verify only revised.
        Can you please confirm which one to follow.
        Do we need to e-verify both or only revised one

  158. I have filled my IT returns but its is a wrong one I filled it. i want to file a revised one. How to do it?

  159. Sir I Have filed my ITR-1 for AY 2014-15 but in form 143 there is a due tax amount of Rs.450. how can I pay it and what should I do after the payment and how

  160. sir I today uploaded form 4 online.but now found that I have made a mistake in TDs column..
    I HV only uploaded itr 4 but still not e verified this.n I want to correct my problem.
    please give the suggestion regarding this..
    should I fill a fresh itr4 or should file revised itr?
    if revised itr then under which section to file?

  161. I am filing ITR1 and filling the same salary mentioned in Form16(Income chargeable under the head “Salaries(3-5)). But on submitting, I am getting error “the amount of salary disclosed in “Income details/Part BTI” is less than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1?.
    Please guide.

    1. Hello,
      I forgot to press “calculate tax” button, it’s old stuff so invoice is already archieved. I did a Goods receipt in MIRO transaction with PO and there is incorrect automatic posting that is done in background.

      I need to revert tax. I should do it manually but which transaction should I use?

  162. If the amount of salary disclosed in “Income details/Part BTI” is less
    than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1.

    I got the above MSG while submitting the ITR . should i worry / ? .

      1. I filed my ITR with form no 16 (got from my past company) but i have one more form no 16 (from my current company) for the same financial year. As I am filing ITR for the first time, I submitted it with one form no 16 only by mistake. after getting acknowledgement number when I tried uploading another form no 16, I got error stating e-filling is already done. Then I combined both form no 16 outside and I came to know that I have to pay tax too. As acknowledgement is already generated with one form no 16 how can I update my main ITR with another form 16 details? Please suggest.

      2. Hi Basavaraj,
        Even i was getting the same error message “f the amount of salary disclosed in “Income details/Part BTI” is less than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1.”while filing IT.
        It was because that the i updated gross total income as the Income chargeable under the Head salaries, is it correct or not.
        In the TDS we have the different amount and there was mismatch coming, what i did is i changed the TDS amount to the one which i have updated as gross total income then i was able t file the IT.
        What i have done is correct or do i need to revise the IT what i have filed, still i havn’t done EVC.

        Please guide, Thanks in advance.

          1. Hi Basavaraj,
            Thanks for your response, should i e-verify my ITR now or can i send the Acknowledgement copy to Income tax office.

    1. The message that u got is a warning. It means that the income in 26AS doesnt match the income that you have filled in under gross/total. This is validation for you to double check in case u hv missed any calculation.

      Click okay and continue filing. It is only a warning and not an error 🙂

  163. Sir,

    It has been seen that the Salary so calculated by the employer for the FY 2013-14 is wrongly computed because of the addition of some extra component(Third party lease accommodation) which in no case must be included in the Individual salary. The employer now acknowledge this and therefore the same component has not been Incorporated by the employer when the FORM-16 for FY 2014-15(AY 2015-16) being issued. Now the problem is that the return for the FY 2013-14(AY 2014-15) was already filed on the basis of FORM-16, where salary was calculated wronlgy and therefore extra tax was deducted in the shape of TDS.
    It is requested to please advise under which section of IT the revised return should be filed for claiming the refund of extra tax deducted and also what is the last date for filing revised return in this case (for FY 2013-14).

  164. Hi
    My Return for Assessment year 13-14 has been transferred to AO because of some mistake. I filed the return for AY 13-14 on time and there is some refund amount. What is process to file revise return and what documents need to be submitted to AO

  165. Sir
    i Efile my return well on time but did not send ITR V in due time,after receiving message last week to deposit ITRV before 30 july as last date,i submitted and got message from IT dept that the received the ITR-V.

    Checking and found found Message on the Income Tax Department website
    Your ITR-V reached the I-T Department after the Due Date.

    Do i need to resubmit the ITR again as told by my friends.

  166. If the amount of salary disclosed in “Income details/Part BTI” is less
    than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1.

    how to solve this issue ?

    1. I am getting the same error , how did you resolve this –

      The amount of salary disclosed in “Income details/Part BTI” is less
      than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1.

      Please help

        1. Hi,

          I have also got the same message ‘The amount of salary disclosed in Income details/part BTI is less than 90% of salary reported in TDS1’ while submitting my IT Return. As per your advice previously told I have reverified the return but i found the following observation.

          1. In Form-16 from TRACES, the total amount paid is Rs. 345678 (Eg) and for which tax deducted is Rs.456 (Eg).
          2. In Form-16 provided by my company shows the gross salary same as Rs. 345678 (Eg). But the HRA, Conveyance and Tax on employment deductions were calculated in next steps and under INCOME CHARGEABLE UNDER HEAD “SALARIES” having all deductions and final amount.

          I have entered the final amount under INCOME CHARGEABLE UNDER HEAD “SALARIES” section in “B1. Income from Salary” since there is no options to enter HRA, Conveyance and Tax on employment details in return.

          Please tell me whether i need to enter “INCOME CHARGEABLE UNDER HEAD “SALARIES” or Gross Salary in B1.

          Thanks in advance,

          Murugesan B

          1. The message that u got is a warning. It means that the income in 26AS doesnt match the income that you have filled in under gross/total. This is validation for you to double check in case u hv missed any calculation.

            Click okay and continue filing. It is only a warning and not an error 🙂

            Enter income chargeable under head of salaries only

      1. The message that u got is a warning. It means that the income in 26AS doesnt match the income that you have filled in under gross/total. This is validation for you to double check in case u hv missed any calculation.

        Click okay and continue filing. It is only a warning and not an error 🙂

  167. I got confirmation email from Income Tax Department that my e-filling of Income Tax Return has been successfully submitted. But, ITR-V pdf attached in that email has some fields blank on it. ‘E-filing Acknowledgement Number’ and ‘E-filling date’ are missing. Most importantly, in the last part of that pdf, bar-code is missing. What should I do? Should I e-file Income Tax Return again to get better ITR-V pdf as I am thinking e-filling has not been done well? Please help me.

  168. Hi yestarday i have got my form 16 from my employee and i found that my pan was incorrect in that. They have already deducted the TDS but it is not showing in my 26AS. As this is the first time i am going to fill the return i am not sure what to do in this case.

  169. Hi
    I filed my income tax return (form 2a) online today. I have got form V available which I have not sent to CPC bangalore and also I have not carried out e-verify online for the same (a new feature i guess from this year).
    I realized that I have shown by mistake less interest income received in my return then in form 26as. I want to revise my return and have understood the above procedure except following points, which may be please be clarified.

    1. Since I have not done e- verification online for original return, should I ignore it and revise my return online and e-verify for the only?
    2. Should I send both form V (Original and revised) or only revised?

    Thanks in advance


  170. HI,

    I have filled my IT return for 6 months and paid tax also. Now I want to fill my anther 6 month IT Return.
    Should I fill revised return?
    In both 6 month I have different company.

  171. Hi,

    I have made a mistake in e filing. This is the first I did and somehow forgot to enter amount in 80c row and submitted it. So now its showing ‘X’ amount as ‘Tax payable’. I am unable to correct that, but I am allowed to enter a fresh one. Can this be done? will the ack. number be same? and I have not submitted(postal) the returns yet.


  172. If the amount of salary disclosed in “Income details/Part BTI” is less
    than 90% of Salary reported in Schedule TDS1.

    On submitting my form, i got the above pop up, so I have changed the salaray mentioned in the Tax Details as per Form 16 to Gross Total Income in ITR. Is it Correct?

    Because i’m paying 2Lakhs as House rent per year. This 2 Lakhs bring the difference between the salary and Gross Total Income

    Or Shall I submit revised one with actual salary mentioned in the form 16. Please advise.

      1. Shall I need to sent both original and revised ITR and ack form ?

        If my gross income is lessthan 90% income credited. Whether this will create any problem for me. Please advise.

        Also just another if I didn’t file income return what will happen. Just for clarification. I have submitted my revised one already. Just need to sent in the post. Please clarify what will happen I didn’t send /submit ITR ?

        1. Manimekalai-Revised is enough. Gross income or net income not matters to IT. But how much taxable income you have is the most important point. If you not file the income tax return then you are liable for penalty under different sections fo IT Act.

  173. I, e-filed IT-return for AY2015-16(FY2014-15), and got ack no. and ITR-V receipt notice also. Now I realized the mistake is found. how can I rectify my mistake?

  174. Dear Sir,

    Firstly thanks for your service.

    I, e-filed IT-return for AY2015-16(FY2014-15), and got ack no. and ITR-V receipt notice/ref.# also. It is under process now.

    I filed ITR-1. But now, I figure out that I must have filed ITR-2. (lottery prize amount > 10 K category). Though Taxes (TDS) already paid, as ITR-1 is filed, refund of TDS is reflected in its calculation. Had I filed ITR-2, this may not have happened. Indeed ITR-2 shows me(when I fill in now), a rebate of Rs.2000 in my lottery income since I am resident Indian and my income is less tha 5 lac. and recalculates my refund, which should be the case to my understanding.

    Now, my question, as I realized my mistake ( wrongly ITR-1 filing instead of ITR-2), how can I rectify my mistake?
    Shall I wait till I receive any intimation for the ITR-1 currently being processed ?
    This question is raised as somewhere I read, if One has to file one type of form (say ITR-2) and if he/she filed any other form, the submission is INVALID automatically.

    Guidance please.
    Thanks for your service.

      1. Sir,

        Do you mean, I fill up ITR-2 by and choose ‘revised’ (by referring ack no. of ITR-1 filed by me last week) ?


  175. Sir , Do I need to sign both original and revised ITR V sheet or only Revised ITR V while sending to CPC bangalore?

  176. Dear Sir,
    My son’s ITR-I return for total taxable income of 3.5 L for the FY 13-14/AY 14-15 filed in 7/2014 manually (before 31-7-2014) based on Form-16 particulars. Now after a lapse of 15 months, we noticed that the total income gets increased to 9.4 L by adding another form-16 salary amounts and entire tax for the revised amount has been deducted in salary through TDS and no outstanding dues as on 31-3-2014. 2 types of Form-16 for the 6 months period issued by same employer & original return prepared as per second half Form-16 particulars. Due to unaware of and non-receipt of first half year Form-16 in time the salary particulars are not taken into account. IT department denied receiving the revised ITR-I return now and advised to submit online. Online website was asking ACK No. for the original ITR-I return. Ack. No. has not been issued by IT dept. for the manual submission of ITR-I return but issued 15 digits receipt no. and date. The website not accepting this 15 digits receipt no. entered in ACK No. field place thus unable to file the revised return online. Kindly guide me sir, what to do & how and where the revised ITR-1 return for the F.Y. 13-14 /A.Y. 14-15 is to be submitted now.
    With Regards,

      1. Sir,

        Is Offline means manual submission?
        IT depart. not accepting to receive the revised ITR-I return as I already written to you.
        Please guide me to initiate further.



  178. Hello,
    Please do help with your valuable suggestions,

    I had applied for ITR V for 2011-12, and 2012-13, with in the time limit in manual approach, but till now i didnot get my returns . i had acknowledge number with me .
    can anyone one give me the details to get my returns back to me


  179. I have one query.
    i Filed ITR online but forget to mention TDS which deducted on my FD’s.

    I get confirmation mail from IT deptt CPC Banglore that They received my ITR V form.

    Now My problem is that i want to fill ITR again to get return on TDS that was already given to IT Department.

    Please guide me what and how to do???

  180. Hi sir,

    I already paid my tax and return in ITR,but i got message from

    Dear Sir/Madam,
    Subject: Notice under section 139(9) of Income Tax Act,1961- Your Return of Income for AY 2014-15.
    Ref: Section 143 1B Income Tax Act, 1961 read with Clause 2C(iv) of Centralized Processing of Returns Scheme
    2011, Notification No S.O 17(E) dated 04/01/2012
    The return of Income filed by you for Assessment Year 2014-15 vide acknowledgement no. 485001170190215 Dated
    19-02-2015 {AY,Acknowledgement Number and Date are obtained from the ITR}, is considered defective u/s 139(9) of the
    Income Tax Act, 1961 as it is found to contain certain defects which has been annexed in the next page (Annexure A).

    Error code:38 Tax determined as Payable in the return filled by you has not been paid

    What step i should do now
    how to generate a new xml file for uploading
    please help me sir

    Thanks & Regards

  181. Hi,

    I got a mail and post stated “Response to the Defective Notice issued u/s 139(9) for PAN XXXXX1234X, AY 2013 – Reminder”. I have tried to rectify the same as mentioned in that

    Procedure to file a corrected XML in response to defective notice:
    – Log on to with your user Id and Password.
    – Click on “e-file in response to notice u/s 139(9)” under “e-file” tab.
    – Please select ITR form type, Assessment year and enter the Acknowledgement number “Click on Submit Button”
    – After clicking on submit button, you need to upload the corrected ITR XML file.
    – Other fields mentioned therein are not require to be entered

    But when I gave Acknowledgement number there is no result found.
    Last year(2014) I have filed the return and I got it. But for 2013 i.e., 2013-14 I am not able to rectify it.

    Please help me out.

    Manish Grover

    1. Last month I got a post and email, stated below:

      Error Code: 38
      Error description: Tax determined as payable in the return of income filed has not been paid

  182. I have a regular job and have been filing regular income tax returns on time. I use my salary amount to make fd’s and earn monthly interests. I also took out some personal loans against salary earned ,which I deposited in the bank and earn monthly interest. I add some amount to the interest earned and pay regular emi towards the personal loan. Under this circumstance, do I need to declare and pay taxes for interest earned? If yes, is this not double taxation, since I have already paid taxes on my salary and I have used my salary amounts as fixed deposits to earn monthly interests? If I still need to pay taxes on the same, how do I go about in doing the same without incurring any penalties or legal action? I have not wilfully concealed my income, it was just an ignorant assumption. I should have consulted a tax expert.

    1. debashish-Let us say you paid taxes on salary. From your savings of salary, you buy a house. After that, will you argue in the same way like you already paid taxes and now why you have to pay taxes on your home? It is the interest you earned, which is taxable. Hence, you have to pay it on that interest. You have to show the interest income as “Income from other sources” and show it while filing return.
      Also, I am unable to digest what prompt you to take the personal loan and invest the same in FDs? Strange logic.

      1. I initially had a seed capital of around 5 lacs which i invested in fd’s. Then I took a loan against fd which was like 4.5 lacs. I again invested the same in fd’s and took out a loan. I again invested in fd’s. In this way I was getting a 10% interest on the same and I was paying 11% towards the loan, i.e I got the entire loan for just 1%. Then due to my good credit rating, I took out a personal loan at around 8% and paid off my loan against fd’s and released my fd’s from lien. Now I actually make a profit of 2% without doing anything.
        However somehow the taxation part got neglected. So here I am to do some damage control. Please let me know what to do now. I started off experimenting off with Fibonacci’s series from mathematics and tested its applicability in economics. I am pretty successful in that. I tried making a model to ensure liquidity and long term capital gain with minimum risk. I started this about 3 years back. I have all the ITR’s for last 12 years but I somehow did not mention this experimentation gains in those returns. But it was foolish of me not to know about the taxation part. I understand that ignorance is no excuse. Please help.

          1. I took personal loan from icici bank .
            I did fd’s at sahebrao deshmukh bank in Mumbai.
            But that did not answer my question.
            Please help.

              1. Per lakh, I stand to make around 2% sitting at home. So how to do I calculate the real return from this transaction?

                  1. I checked google for that.

                    No risks found for sahebrao cooperative in Mumbai.

                    Anything that I am missing out? Please let me know.

                    1. Debashish-Yes, usually co-operative banks are managed few groups which they have some political or social interest (I mean many). Have you checked the management and how they are using your deposited money (I mean the bad loans they have). If their bad loan is at higher end then the risk of default will be at higher.

  183. I am working in private organization, Last year (2014-2015) tax detected from my salary. i submitted my returns on Oct 2014. Now mail came from ITRV defective Code 38. what can i do to solve the problem.

  184. For the AY 2012-2013, i did not know i had to include fixed deposit interest. Bank deducted TDS on the same. Please let me know if i can rectify this now.

  185. sir,
    i m a salaried person and file itr1 always but in 2013-14 i sold a property and instead of filing itr2 i filed itr1 .
    can i revise my return by changing form of itr now.
    and if i can what is the process???

  186. I have booked the flat of above 50lacs on August 2013 ,and paid the installment of Rs20,52,529 after deducting the TDS amount Rs20,732. The TDS amount of Rs20,732 was deposited to IT departemnet on 29-03-2014 .I received the notice from IT departemnt (copy attached) wherin IT departemnt has stated that deposite of TDS was delayed by 6 months , hence asked me to pay interest + TDS of Rs22,600 .

    Please advise if we can go for revised ITR AY2014-15 .

    Kindly advise me the next course of action .

    1. Himanshu-When the TDS already done then why the demand of Rs.22,600? Whether you shown the transaction in your return? Why the deposit of TDS delayed for 6 months? Please check out the reason for delay.

  187. Sir
    I have made efile with wrong TAN no, and also got notice from IT office, what section i have to select, Ass Year is 2014-15
    xls file giving error.

  188. Hello,
    I have a query. Please give me your valuable suggestion on it.

    Original Return for AY 2014-2015 was filed on Date 05-08-2014 , where the assessee was having a Tax Refund. Gross Income and TDS wrongly mentioned. ITR V received on Dt 18/08/2014. Hence Total Income Tax Refund As Computed Under Section 143(1) came as NIL vide Dt 07/01/2015 stating the reason of Tax Credit Mismatch.
    Revised Return was filed on Date 13/09/2014 after knowing the Actual TDS amount for AY 2014-15. Revised ITR V received on Dt 23/09/2014.
    Its been Six months the Revised ITR V has not been processed. Kindly suggest, what should be the best method now for getting TDS Refund for the AY 2014-15.

    Waiting for your quick reply.

  189. I got a notice from CPC stating that – 38 Tax determined as Payable in the return filled by you has not been paid..
    as an defect in filing ,
    But I have paid , how to respond to this , I have receipts of SBI for my payment , I have even sent my irtv form …
    do i have to send a copy of my receipt of my payment to them..

    they say upload the xml doument with correct details ??? what is that xml i have to fill.
    any guidence will be appreciated

  190. Sir,
    i am a salaried employee, i have filled return on 04/05/2014 for AY 2014-15……BUT BY MISTAKE I FILLED RETURN ACCORDING TO INCOME OF THE YEAR 2012-13 INSTEAD OF 2013-14…..NOW IT SHOWS A REFUND OF Rs.6800….IF I HAD FILLED MY RETURN CORRECTLY THE REFUND = No Refund…

    Sir plz tell me the process how to correct/rectify my above return step by step process….AY 2014-15 ENDS ON 31.03.2015..

    Plz sir help me out……….thankss thankss a tonnn

    1. i have contacted to cpc..they told me to post the wrong return filled print out…so i did as they said…in reference to that they sent an acknowledgement….in which communication ref no. is given..when i used this ref no. to rectify my return online…i got an error(invalid ref no.)…..plzzzz…sir help me out

  191. Dear Sir

    Myself a salaried employee. I got a demand notice for the assessment year 2013-14 in July’14 of certain amount that mismatched in Form 26AS also, as compared to my return file in July 13, though the amount deducted by my previous company. Then I contacted my previous company for doing needful action. After a month it is rectified & shown OK in revised Form 26AS. Now again in Jan’15 another intimation (U / S 1 4 3 ( 1 )) received for the assessment year 2014-15 claiming the out standing demand of that amount for 2013-14, though it is ok in Form 26AS. Please guide me what to do ?



  192. Dear Nivesh,

    I have following Queries, I will be very thankful if you provide your detail view..

    1. For FY 2012-2013: During this period I was a salaried Employee in India. One tax consultant has filled my income tax return online today (10th March 2015), I believe he has done mistakes which are described below,

    1.1 In my bank account, My father deposited 1 lack during this period as a gift but he has not included anywhere in
    ITR-I, I guess it has to be included in ITR form.
    1.2 He used ITR-I, but as I was finding on the internet it has to be ITR-II, as exempted Income (gift money) which is
    more than 5000.
    1.3 Now, I am thinking to file ITR return on my own what all think I need to do e.g. how to file a revised ITR, in
    which section of ITR I will have to show this gift money.

    2. For FY 2013-2014: I went to US on march 1st 2013 and I was there till dec 2014 as a salaried employee to US company. Now during this period from the US I transferred money to India in regular saving A/c (Not NRE or NRO). I invested in stocks also and have some capital gain also. I have already filled taxes In US whatever I have earned there.

    2.1 I guess, as I was NRI (more than 182 days), i do not have to pay taxes on the foreign transferred money. For this period which ITR form I have to use as I have some bank interest, some stock capital gain and foreign transferred money.

    2.2 In which section of ITR form i have to describe the foreign transferred income? I guess, I have to include somewhere in the ITR form otherwise, how IT department will come to know from where these money came.?

    2.3 During this period my friend in India transferred some money in my Indian account, so, I guess i have to pay tax on that?, If yes in which section of ITR form shall I have to include these things.

    It will be very thankful…



  193. Sir,

    I have received a notice under section 139(9), which is stating the following error codes:

    Error Code: 3: Part A P and L and/or Part A BS have not filled.
    Error Code: 12: ITR containing special income other than Capital gains and Lottery income in schedule SI.

    The assesse is a foreign company and thus its only its income accruing/arising in India is taxable. In that case how do we give the total BS & PL of the foreign company. We have, in the original return taken all figures in the BS & PL to be “Nil”

    Please advise

  194. Hi Basavaraj , I have filed IT returns but could n’t send the ITR-V in 120 days. I have sent both ITRVs for 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 and they got received at incometax dept end in this month only. For 2013-2014 the stat us field is empty and for 2014-2015 the status in Undermined. And it is showing both ITR-V not processed yet. can you please guide me in getting it processed and get the refund?


  195. Respected Sir

    I have filed a return of the partnership firm A.Y 2014/15 on 31 Jan 2015. In which i found a mistake in the closing stock in profit & loss account my stock is 450000 and in balance sheet my stock is 435000. Difference arise due to the software error & also ignorance by me. i don’t transfer the profit of the current year to the partner capital account, the profit amount is Rs 15000 which is automatically deducted from the stock from balance sheet due to software error not showing the balance off the Profit & loss in balance sheet.
    Please sir suggest what i can do in this situation to rectify my error. Please respond soon

  196. Dear Sir,
    I have wrongly filled advance tax instead of TDS, and income tax department already did assessment of my return.
    Actually there is a refund in my case but now it is showing balance due.
    How can i rectify my problem.

  197. Hello Mani,

    I accidentally filed IT returns for AY 2013-2014(FY 2012-2013). I mean, since it was the first time. Then I filed correctly for AY 2014-2015(FY 2013-2014). I was not earning anything during FY 2012-13. I got mail from IT dept. to submit ITR-V by post. How should I respond to this ? Please help


      1. Do you know anybody in Bangalore who will help in these tax issues at substantial cost and not charge heavily ?


  198. sir,i was in provision(at fixed payment) for 2 year in rajasthan joining date 15/10/2011,as I complete 2 year on 2013.but I get ful payment as arear june at this assessment 2014-2015 year .I incude as tax paying.plz guide me for revising the last year assessment plz.

  199. Hi,

    I have already filed tax return for AY 2011-12 with third party person(manually.not through online).

    My query is here, Can i file it again through Online( if yes tell me is there any affect for future tax returns.


      1. Hi, Thanks for reply . There is a reason to ask this query “file it again or not?”… there was some refund amount is stucked for the AY-2011-12 due to my pan address (AO ) is in delhi. currently i am in bangalore. i tried a lot to change my assessment officer but no use..i just want to try it through online and i hope it will help me.

          1. Yes..i thought it is the same what you think, .but these income tax customer cares told me like that only.
            Basavaraj, one more query…not able to file for AY 2011-12 through online..The AY list box is showing last 3 previous years only (from 2012-13). Could you please give me any steps to file income tax return for the AY 2011-12 through online?

            I really appreciate you for your quick response 🙂

  200. Hi,

    This is regarding Financial Year ending 31-March-2014.

    I am salaried person. I have filed ITR1 on 25thJuly2014 Online,send signed Form, ITR submitted properly. Now return status is ‘No Refund and No Tax to be Paid’ as my employer has already deducted tax from salary.

    I sold one property(Residential Flat) in Feb 2014 and purchased another in March 2014. Per calculation,i have done Long term Capital Loss (i.e. should be carry forward to next year). I have missed to show these property transactions in my ITR1.

    Queries –
    1)can i file revised Income tax return?
    2)Which form should I use? ITR1 dont have sections to provide details on Long Term Capital Gain/Loss details.
    3)I have already filed ITR1 and processed, Can i file revised Income Tax Return using any other ITR form (say ITR2)?

    Many Thanks,

  201. Dear sir,

    I had filed the tax in time but my sent signed copy of ITRV might have got delayed as it is showing the status “ITRV Received after due date”.

    What to do from my side now.

    FYI: my refund amount is 0.

    Thanks in advance to your guidance,
    Zameeruddin — 9959236808

  202. Hi,

    I filed my tax before the due date.I got a notice from income tax department to pay rs. 11000 = ( 10000 pending tax + 1000 interest). I checked my form16, all the tax was deducted by my company but they had 2 TAN numbers.Using TAN1 they deducted 20000 while using TAN2 they deducted 10000. while filing my return I only mentioned TAN1 and forgot TAN2.Now ideally in my case I filed return in a wrong way as I already paid all Tac. My question is :

    1) Do I need to pay interest ? ( Tax was deducted from my salary last year itself, much before and as per form16 and return I filed 0 amount was suppose to be paid )
    2) While I put 2 TAN numbers in revised form ,what should I put under HEAD SALARY as only TAN was different
    whereas my company was same during the whole year.

  203. Dear Sir,

    I have filled the online ITR before 31st July 2014 for the assessment year 2014-2015, but failed to send the the ITR V to CPC banglore within 120 days. When I checked it shows the status that ITRV received after due date. So now how will I again process? Is it by revised return 139(5) ?

  204. Dear Sir,

    I received a IT intimation 143(1) where it mentions that income tax of Rs.5622 is due to be paid by me.
    I saw the calculations done by IT department and I feel the demand is correct.
    What I want to know is, if I have to pay the tax online, then I need to use challan 280 as per the following link:

    Specific questions I have are:
    1. In challan 280, which “type of payment” should be used ? “Self assesment tax” or “Tax on Regular Assessment”.
    2. Will I need to file a revised ITR after the payment of the demanded tax ?

    I would really appreciate your help.


  205. I have wrongly filed Return for A.Y.2012 – 13 twice 1st one on 30/08/2012 and 2nd one on 31/07/2013.

    There is no change in Income and deduction rebate in both return.

    I got notice from It dept that my 31/07/2013 return will be treated invalid and provision of IT act 1961 shall apply.

    what is that mean.

    1. Santosh-Said provision is wide. So can’t explain you exactly. But if you have doubt or need to rectify the errors then my suggestion is to contact any tax filing agent of your area. He/She can help you.

  206. I received an “139(9) defective return notice” for AY 2013-14. My employer had deducted Rs. 8,867 and Rs. 531 additional tax had been paid by me through 280 bank challan. In addition, I filled up corrected return which was uploaded on 30/04/2014. But, I have not received any intimation and the same defective notice is received on 28/10/2014. It has been observed that some interest calculation (around Rs. 75) has been done on the additional tax and due to which I paid an additional tax of Rs. 100. Now, how can I filled up the form? Will I fill up a revised return or original return? Please help me…and guide me the steps….

  207. Dear Sir,

    I have submitted my ITR 4 for AY 2013-14 and I got my refund Rs. 4286/- which I applied.
    after submission of ITRV. I got information from customer that they generated TDS for the same year now with (Rs.13054) which I did not mentioned in the Gross Receipts also
    I mentioned Gross Receipts only for the refunded amount.

    can you please help me to fill my revised ITR for this TDS amount

  208. Hi,

    I am working with MNC and i have Form 16.I filled ITR for assessment year 2014-15 in Sep 14 and the same is processed in sep’13 by IT deptt. But i got to know i have filled wrong value at Net Taxable amount due to this i am getting some amount as Tax payable section but i have already paid the Tax. Please guide me how to correct the Net taxable amount so my Tax payable should be Zero.

    Manish Anand

  209. Dear Sir,

    For the Financial year 2013-14, due to less TDS deduction than required, i had to pay tax amount of Rs 30000 though challan. On 31-July-2014 night, i tried to pay this challan through SBI, but the challan generation time was over for the day and the challan got generated on 01-Aug-2014 only. However, I filed ITR on 31-July night itself, through the website, by giving wrong values for BSR code and Challan Number. I got the ITR-V form correctly, which doesn’t mention the details of the challan, but mentioned the amount Rs 30000.

    Later when i checked, 26AS shows the challan details correctly. Also when i try to E-File the ITR again, looks like the site has filled the details of the challan correctly in the ITR form.

    My queries are :

    1. Will the IT department automatically consider this late challan for assessment?
    2. Do i need to file a revise ITR to provide the challan number and BSR code? If yes, should i use 139(5) as the section?
    3. Will there be any issues if i do not file a revised ITR at all?
    4. The challan amount included the applicable late payment fee to be paid as on 31st July, since i missed the 31st March deadline. So will there be any issue (other than minor increase in the late payment fee), due to the the fact that the challan was generated only on 01-Aug-2014?

    Thanks in advance,

    J Abraham.

    1. Abraham-I don’t think so as you filed ITR within last date but challan generated the next immediate day. Also when the challan details are already reflecting properly then why to file revised income tax return? For your information this year last date to file the IT return was extended till 5th August (my assumption). So your return filing and payment of tax fits within that date. Hence no need to worry.

  210. Hi Sir,
    I’m working in a private company as an engineer.Today I received a letter from CPC Income tax department to pay 50000/- for AY 2013-14. During the cross check(ITR form vs Form 16) I’ve found that I have missed to mention the amount in section RELIEF U/S 89 which was mentioned in Form 16. Could you please advice me what should I do to rectify the section RELIEF U/S 89 data in ITR AY 2013-14?


  211. Dear Sir,

    My ITR for AY 2014-15 included tax details as per form 26AS on income from other sources which included interest accrued on investment in Muthoot Finance. However later on I found that Muthoot Finance inadvertantly shown one duplicate credit entry of Rs. 6000.00 into my account(due to their clerical mistake) and also deduction of tax @10%(although I had to pay additional as per 30% bracket). I have not yet submitted the Form-V and want to revise the ITR. Can I do so while doing away the duplicate credit & tax therefor(form 26AS will still show the credit & tax deducted) or do I need to get the accounts corrected through Muthoot Finance before filing revised ITR and In case Muthoot does not corrects it what should I do?

    1. Anshuman-How you will show Muthoot mistake? Let first Muthooot Finance correct the entry which will show in your 26AS then only you can revise it. In your case Muthoot is a responsible entity which can correct it of what they did wrong.

  212. Hello Sir,
    I am a salaried person. I have already filed ITR-1 for A.Y. 2014-15 and have already received intimation under section 143(1) after processing. However, in my return, I had forgot to mention the interest paid towards my educational loan which would have qualified as a deduction under section 80E. Now, I plan to file a revised ITR-1 with the necessary details. My question is whether I need to submit a proof of the interest paid toward my loan, alongwith the signed ITR-1 form , in order to claim a refund? Or, do I simply need to submit the return?
    Thanks in advance for your help. The blog is very informative indeed!!

      1. Thank you sir for your prompt reply. I have another question – do i need to post the original ITR filed while submitting the revised ITR? Or can I simply send the revised ITR?

  213. Hi Sir,

    I did filled my return online for AY 2013-14 but wrongly filled up the ITR2 form instead of ITR1. My priginal return was submitted online on 30th July,13. And again i did a mistake by submitting a revised return online on 12th August’14. this timeagain i wrongly selected ITR2 instead of ITR1.
    And now i did receive an initmation from CPC under U/S 143(1) of the income tax act,1961 that i need to pay rs15,000 which was against the revised return filed by me on 12th August’13
    As i now reliased i filled up the wrong form while filing my return that time, can i fill up a rectification request and file my retirn this time against ITR1.
    Or else can you please advise on how can i recitfy my return and refile it for ITR1 and not ITR2 this time.

    Addtinally, how can i search the AO name or address, with whom if required i did to communicate on this.

    Please advise Sir.

      1. Thank you Sir.
        But taking into consideration that my original return was filed on 30th July’13 and a revised one on 12th August’13, can you please confirm if i would be eligible to file a rectification request to refile my return using ITR1 form?
        I can then of course get consult a tax expert in my area in filing the rectification request.

        Please please advice.

  214. Dear Basavaraj – The portal is extremely informative. My compliments.

    I have a query. I am salaried professional and have filed my ITR but I still have taxes due which need to be paid to the Govt.
    My current XML file (the one which is uploaded) reflects the amount that I need to pay to the Govt. How do I resolve this. Will be grateful for your advise.


  215. Hi Sir,

    I filed return on time. But found that my name, surname and middlename is not in proper order. Can I file a revise return? Please guide me.


  216. Hello Sir,

    Can revised return be filled twice?
    I had filled revised return in case of wrong address mentioned. Now I notice that my account number is also incorrect. Can I revise my return again?

  217. I have a question.

    I have filed my Original Return on 16/08/2014 and generates ITR V. Then immediately I realized some mistake and filed revised and generated revised ITR V. Now the question is that both returns are filed after due date ao would it work for me ? Should I send both ITR V?

      1. Hi
        I am facing same kind of issue. pls let me know which ITR 5, i should send to income tax dept with signature?


  218. Hi,
    I have filed ITR through a consultancy, I had Income from salary and income from profession.
    For income for salary I provided form 16 and for income from profession i provided advance tax receipt to consultancy.
    Problem is that the files ITR-1 and not mentioned income from profession . Can I revised filed ITR now.
    Can in revision ITR 4 can be filed instead of ITR-1

  219. Hi,

    While filling returns for last year(FY 2012-2013) I gave Assessment year as 2012-2013 instead of 2013-2014 due to which in returns they mentioned me to pay 18000 tax due to mismatch. but my income is not even 2 lakhs for the assessment year 2012-2013. Please let me know what I need to do now.


      1. do they force me to pay the amount saying that was my mistake. Please let me know. If I won’t pay what will happen keeping in mind that according to IT projection provided by my company I paid complete tax for all the years.

  220. Hello,

    I have been working from home for a foreign company since January 2014 on a monthly consulting fee that they credit directly into my saving account with no deductions since they are not setup in India. Prior to working for this company, I was employed in a Mumbai based company till January and I have already received form 16 and other relevant docs from this Mumbai based company. My question is, which form do I need to use now because from January onwards my income is from foreign company on which no deduction has been made and under which head this income will be shown.

    I would also like to know which form I will be using and under which head this income will be shown next year since my income for the entire year will be from this foreign entity only.

    Thanks and I look forward to hear from you.


      1. Hi,

        I think it cannot be regarded as salary because they cannot make standard deductions since they are foreign based and are not set up in India? Every month, I send them an invoice mentioning the amount as consulting fee/professional fee that they credit into my account.


          1. Ok. So for this year, I’ll file return filling ITR-1 since most of my income is from Salary of Mumbai based company and will show the income from foreign company for 2 months under income from other sources?

            And next year, I’ll file return using ITR-4 since for the whole year my income will be from foreign company?

            Can you please confirm?


            1. Dipesh-How you can show that under Income from other source? You need to show under professional income only. Yes you can do so next year. But for this year my suggestion is to show both salary and professional income by using ITR4.

  221. Hi,
    I have filed my original return on 31st July 2014, and I have not yet sent the ITR-V. However, now I realized that I have forgotten to show the interest accrued in one of my recurring deposit in the original return. The accrued interest amount in FY 2013-14 is around Rs 5000/- The recurring deposit will mature in this FY 2014-15.
    So the very first question is “Do I need to file the revised return to show up this interest now”?
    If yes, “Do I need to pay any interest on the balance tax that will be arise on Rs 5000/-” ? While filling it online, the tool is automatically calculating the interest, though the field is editable I can make it zero ? Should I go ahead with making it zero manually or should I pay the additional tax along with interest ?

    Please guide so that I can take the necessary action.

  222. hi,
    i have filled the it return in time I did a mistake by entering the wrong PAN of PMRF (prime minister relief fund) for deduction under 80G. but had put the correct amount in the column.
    the tax calculated was all right except for this mistake.
    Do i need to fill Revised return.

  223. I filed my return late (ie after the due date of 31st july..)

    I mentioned in the Profit and loss statement a net income of rs. 1,80,000.00 where as by mistake i also mentioned in no account maintained area as net profit of Rs. 1,80,000 )

    I uploaded my return and sent the ITR V to cpc…

    Now when i recv the notice under section 143(1) it shows net income as 3,60,000 and shows tax payable with interest.

    What shall i do now??

    please help

    thanks in advance

  224. Hi
    I am a combatant member of defence forces (Air Force) . I have filled my IT return on line in time for FY 12-13 AY 13-14. But due to non deduction of income u/s 10 by employer in form 16, i end up filling wrong calculated income which resulted in less refundable amount. Till now my earlier refundable Amt is not credited to my account. Further, i had also wrongly mentioned my ward/circle. Meanwhile, recently i received a notice from IT Dept u/s 143(1). My question is am i eligible to file revised IT return for FY 12-13 including deduction u/s 10.

  225. Sir,
    While IT return filing for myself of AY2014-15 on 01 August 2014. I entered the address correctly but made mistake in entering the PIN code.

    Shall I file I revised return today itself?

    I’ve not send the acknowledgement yet.

  226. Sir, i have filed IT Return this july for AY 14-15, BUT BY MISTAKE TAX PAID IS SHOWN UNDER WRONG SECTION…Can i revise the return?

    Someone told me that now its not allowed from this year?

  227. Sir, i have filed IT Return this july for AY 14-15, BUT BY MISTAKE TAX PAID IS SHOWN UNDER WRONG SECTION…Can i revise the return?

    Someone told me that now its not allowed from this year?

  228. Hi I have query that i have filled original ITR i have included Fixed Deposit deduction but i did not include FD other income.Then i have revised ITR and removed FD deduction and filled.I have sent revised ITR .I did not send original .Please help me regarding this what i should do next.


  229. Sir I want to know one thing in Assessement Year 2013-2014 I was suppose to Pay an Income tax of 62000/- ( Paybale to IT Dept) but while filing the details in the return by mistake I had put it in 2012-2013 Assessment Year.
    Now I go a notice from Income Tax Dept to pay the Amount with Interest charged.
    Can you please guide what to do?

  230. Hi Sir,

    I filled my return on 3rd August this year but I forgot to add income from my fixed deposit. Can I file revised return as the original return is late return ? Also, what are the other options.


  231. Sir while i am a salaried individual with more than 6 lakhs annual income but less than 10 lakhs. While filing the return I did 2 mistakes in address. I checked the ITR-V and found the 2 mistakes. How to rectify these two mistakes.

      1. I also made similar mistakes while filing IT return for myself of AY2014-15 on 31st July 2014. I entered the address correctly but made mistake in entering the PIN code.

        Shall I file I revised return today itself?

        I’ve not send the acknowledgement yet.

  232. sir, i filled the itr2 for ay2014-15 online on 1st aug-14 . i made many blunder mistakes. can i file revised return…as last date was 31 jul 14.

      1. Hi,

        I have a query, that should the original and revised return send in a same/single envelope or separate envelope?

      2. Do I need to send verification of original ITR duly signed, to the Bangalore office (wherein the mistakes were made) before filing the revised return or is it okay to send only the signed copy of the revised return

        1. I filed my return after due date …. My CA says you cannot file revised return…Is it true??Please suggest what to do ?

          1. While filing my ITR I forgot to include income from consultancy and it is a good amount… can I file revised return …. does it show any negative thing about my profile …?

            1. but tell me what to do now….as name and fathers name also do not match…also there are other parameters which need to be revised…

    1. Sir i filled my gross income by mistake less but tex deduct right now i am trying to e filling but system donot accept

  233. Hello,

    I recently got intimation by IT saying to pay some amount. But I already mistakenly paid more than the require amount when I filed the assessment for 2013-14 yr and also I forgot to send the acknowledgement copy. In the intimation by IT, it is showing some undisclosed amount which actually I paid.
    Please help me.

  234. I filed the income tax return for FY 12-13, I received a mail from CPC reg.Non remitence of ITR 5 after that i sent Itr 5 in original after tha what will do for further Please help me on this.

  235. I filled e return for the AY 2014-15 , received the acknowledgement and sent duly signed to IT Bangalore on 12/07/14. On 30th July, 14 i found that i made a mistake and it shown the refund amount is double and at a time I revised the same and uploaded. Now today I received (1st aug,14) the receipt of the original form from bangalore which they receive on 28th July,14.
    My question is : Will I send the receipt copy if original along with revised copy or what?
    And will be any issue in this? PLEASE HELP.

  236. Hi,

    I filed my return on 30/07/2014 but did not send the original copy yet. I did a mistake, i showed balance income after conveyance and HRA exemption but all other details are correct. Now when i saw the ITR form, i found difference in total what office has shown and me. Mean it balance+conveyance+HRA = Total.

    I have not shown my HRA and conveyance exemption. What should i do ? Please advise


  237. Hi Basu ,

    I was not knowing that i should fill the ITR after paying all the taxes. I thought its ok to upload the ITR and later i will pay the tax.
    PLease help me with the situation.

    I filled the ITR today with status “tax payable” and then i payed the tax liability.
    what shud I do now, should i fill the revised ITR , if yes please help me with the fields which i need to change.

    Surya Prakash Gupta

  238. Hi
    Actually i dont’ve the complete Form 16 of my previous employer; i.e. Part A & B are missing. I’d worked there more than 9 months & now associated with new employer for past 3 months where i’ve my new Form 16 with me. So my question is now i want to submit ITR return so how can i file the same.
    1) can i file with my aggregate salary amount (previous employer+new employer’s gross income) which may be a tentative figure and how can i show in ITR
    2) should i return challan details deposited by my previous em,ployer in online ITR?

    Please suggest me


  239. Hi,

    I paid my interest tax through challan 280 whereas it should have been done using challan 282. Do I need to repay it? Do I need to fill revised return after that (and get already paid tax as refund?).


  240. hi,
    I have filed my ITR 1 for AY 2014-15, It is correct, but I noticed that my tax consultant has filed wrong information such as false donation, house loans in my ITR-1 for AY 2013-14 for claiming refunds.Till now I didn’t get any refund. I want to rectify those incorrect information.
    Please suggest me what to do?

      1. Sir,
        I didn’t make any donation & I didn’t have any house loan in FY can I revise my ITR 1 filed during AY 2013-14 ?Is there any penalty for revising ITR as IT deptt might have started refund procedure for those mentioned transactions ?

  241. Hello Basu,

    Please let know if I made a mistake in ITR and noticied that when I receive the acknowledgement of ITR.

    Actually while filling xls file, I forget to click on calculate TAX button which results my deducted TDS is coming under refund amount. Should I need to select the “17-Revised 139(5)” option in xls file and file the return again?

  242. Hello Basu,

    I have filed the income tax by using xls file from incometax site. I have filled all the requierd details and forgot to click on Calculate Tax button of that file. I have generated and uploaded the xml file successfully once I receive the ITR verification then got to know that the TDS deducted from my salary is coming under refund amount. Please suggest how to correct it. Should i need to file ITR again by select “17-Revised 139(5)” in that xls sheet?

  243. Hi, today (31/7) i paid my outstanding taxes through online payment via and subsequently submitted my returns along with the e-payment details(BSR code, challan etc..). However, ITR V still shows the paid amount as ‘Tax Payable’ and not under ‘Total Taxes Paid’. Is something wrong? How do i get it corrected?


      1. Yes..I have verified the next day and 26AS forms are showing my payment details. Seems it takes time to update the payment details in TRACES…. So, now do i need to re-file my returns with ‘Nil tax balance’ status? or can i just send the current returns to CPC.?


        1. Isa-If you already paid the taxes and proof of that is with you then why to re-file. Let them update their database and if at all in future they come to ask you tax then you have valid reason and proof to show the tax paid. So I don’t think revision is required. But in case you want peace of mind then go ahead 🙂

  244. Sir, I filed income tax return for Assessment Year 2013-14 on 21.03.14 with with some amount of tax payable out of confusion through e-filing mode. On 26.03.14, I paid the due amount of tax and filed a revised return (duly filling challan no. and with ‘Nil tax balance’ ) giving Acknowledgement Number of Original return. I sent ITR -V of both Original and Revised return to CPC. My account in e-filing website is showing taht both ITR-Vs have been received by CPC. However, on 28.07.14, I received IT Notice under section 139(9) for for payment of due tax and uploading revised Return. I have checked 26AS at TRACES and found that the due amount of tax paid has been shown What should I do now?? Please help.

  245. Hi,
    I did not declare hra to my employer. The form 16 is not showing hra exception.
    How can I claim hra in itr 1. which field do I have to use to show hra?
    Please help!

  246. Sir, I have submitted my ITR for 2014-2015 this july itself. I was having some tax to pay and I thought it can be paid after filing return at income tax office. But someone told me that you should have submitted your tax and mentioned the challan number in my return. Now, What to do? Do I need to file revised return and do I need to send the original return to CPC banglore as well.

    Robin Sharma

      1. Hi Basavaraj,

        I did the same mistake as Robin above. Do you think it is okay to file revised return because one of the condition says “You can file revised return if you missed any deduction or income.”
        Since not paying self assessment tax is not part of deduction or income, should I file revised under section 139(5)?

  247. Hi,

    My tax consultant had wrongly filed my tax in ITR 2 form for FY 2011-12 and 2012-13.
    Both of them processed and refunds also received.
    Correct form required was ITR 4 which I came to know a week back just before I was about to file my tax.
    I do trading in derivatives.
    He showed my loss as Capital Loss though it should have come under the section Business Loss.
    I intend to do revised return myself as I do not trust the knowledge of the previous consultant.

    Is it possible for me to file a revised return now. There is no change in values to be entered.
    Just the right form and the details need to be entered in the right schedule.
    Is rectification request the same thing. If not then can I do a rectification request.

  248. I wrongly submitted my IT returns for the year 2014-15 as 2013-14. I filed on-line, but I not send the acknowledgment to IT office by mail. I lost the last year Form16 too. Anyway to resolve it.

  249. I want to file ITR for april 2012 to march 2013. which assessment year to be selected 2012-2013 or 2013-2014?

      1. Thanks Basavaraj,
        I have filed wrong details i.e i have filed details of FY2013-14 in 2013-14 AY . Now i have filed revised ITR also. So should i send both original and revised return form or the revised one only.

  250. I filed my ITR 2 on 27 July 2014. Then I realised I put the convinience allowance in wrong section so I filed revised retirns. Today while checking it again I came to know that I did not deducted my PPF interest from the Gross amount so I need to again file a revised return (yeah second time 🙁 )
    My question is which acknowledge number should I enter – the original one or the last revised return receipt number.

      1. Thanks for the reply, but when I uploaded returns with last revised acknowledgement number then the returns does not get uploaded and it gives error message “Invalid acknowledgement number”.
        What to do now?

  251. My insurance Agent faltered and did not pay my insurance premium of second half before March 30th.
    Assuming that he had paid it i made the entry while filing my ITR1 online.
    Now fr rectification the website asks me to fill up the Communication Reference Number, and I don’t know where and how to get it.
    Please help.

  252. I have filed ITR 1 for AY 14-15. I am yet to post my original return.
    However, now I came to realise that I was supposed to fill ITR2 as I have exempted income from salary (like HRA) of more than Rs. 5000.
    Kindly advice what should i do? Should I file a revised return ITR 2 or post revised ITR 1 without filling ITR2?
    Your response will be appreciated.

  253. Hi Basavraj,

    I have submitted today ITR – 1 for financial year 2012-13. As you know the due date of filing ITR for financial year 2012-13 is already ended but someone told me that I can still file the ITR for 2012-13 this year. okay so after submitting ITR 1…. I figured out that I did a mistake with the selection of choosing wrong section. I was supposed to select ” (12) after due date under section 139 instead I actually selected “(11) before due date under section 139”.

    Please let me know what should I do now ? Well this is just a NIL return cuz my salary doesn’t fall under tax liability.

  254. My income is 3.5 lacs from salary in 2013-2014FY. I remitted 15,000 USD to my US bank account, source of funds: savings. My US bank account already has 15k more, so total peak balance is 30,000 USD. I think it will attract unnecessary scrutiny from IT department if I declare my foreign account and show such a high peak balance in my US account, when my salary is pretty small.

    1) Can I file ITR4 without mentioning my foreign bank account? What is the penalty if IT department finds out about my foreign account?
    2) Can I file a revised return after 6 months, disclosing my foreign account in that revised return? Will that revised return be acceptable?

  255. Dear sir,
    I have an exempt income u/s 10 greater than Rs 5000/-, Now which ITR should i fill? thanx in advance

  256. I have filed my IT return using ITR-1. However, I missed to include short term capital gain. I plan to file revised return using ITR-2. Is it okey to file revised return using ITR-2 even though original return was files using ITR-1?

  257. I filed IT return for AY 2014-15 using ITR-1. However, I missed to include short term capital gain. Now I want to revise return by filling ITR-2. Should I file ITR-2 now as Revised Return even though my original return is filed using ITR-1. Pl advise.

  258. Hi
    Actually in last year means Jan-13 to June-14 i didnot get salary because where i am working that org. investors were backout . but we worked there with our boss in this period of time without taking any salary. he promise us once new investors will come i will give your pending amount. In July-14 one of big company purchased asset from us in this deal they acquire our org. employee. but now our boss is saying deal amount is not sufficent so i will calculate & check weather u all get ur penidng amount or not.
    yet i have not received any amount . So my question is now i want to submit ITR returns so how can file the same.
    1) can i file with my salary amount which may be i get this financial year or may be not get anything.
    so how can i show in ITR
    2) from Jan-13 to till date i take loan from my friends & relatives to pay my Home loan & as well my hoem expenses.

    Please sugget me


      1. Thank you for reply.

        Actually from april-13 to april-14 i received 2 months salary which was Jan & feb-13 months salary.
        apart from i didn’t get any salary amount & i don’t have any other income also.
        so can i file
        1) file with zero income.
        2) if i get my pending amount in this year then what should i do ?
        3) actually i am going to buy home in near future so for home loan purpose if i file zero income ITR then I will not get home loadn so what is best case where i can get home loan

        please suggest me.


  259. I filled my ITR online on 25/07/2014 but i did a mistake which is,

    At the place of gross income i put total income which is lesser, and
    in the “deduction under chapter-vi-A, it is zero(0)”
    So my gross income and total income became equal and deduction is zero(which should be 100000 as per section 80C) in form ITR-V. But total tax and interest payable and TDS is same as per Form 16.
    Should i fill another ITR form or request for a change and how.
    i am worried, please help ASAP.


  260. Hi,

    I had filled ITR-1 for AY 2013-2014 on 30th July 2013.
    But , I was employed by two employer in FY 2012-2013 , hence i had two form 16.
    But my mistake i have missed to add income detail from one of the employer.
    Can i file the revised ITR now and pay the e-tax which is applicable ?

    Please advise.

  261. Hi

    I filed my income tax return (ITR-1) through a third party port (taxspanner). In the return form, section ‘Income From Other Sources’ (Interest Income) was pre-filled after verification from IT dept system (probably Form 26AS). As per the pre-filled data, I paid my tax due with Challan 280 (under 300 – Self Assessment Tax) via online HDFC portal. I also received the ITR-V acknowledgement form which I duly signed and sent to Bangalore. Now while was checking my 26AS again I found the the pre-filled data (income from interest) was grossly higher than the actual interest I received as per Form 26AS and the self assessment tax I paid is almost 5 times of what I should have paid actually.

    1) How can the pre-filled data be so different from what is actual in 26AS?
    2) How do I now claim refund of the extra self assessment tax that I already paid?

    1. Santosh-In that case please check with the organization which issued interest payment to you. Check for any discrepancies. Then if it is actually from IT Dept then can raise issue. For this all you need to file the revised IT Return.

  262. Hi,

    I used tax filing agent in my office to file ITR. He made a mistake and now I need to refile it. I have not dispatched my ITR-V to bangalore and due date is 31-July.

    Do I need to file return as revised now or I can still file as original? I have got acknowledgement number for previous filing.

    Query is for AY2014-15.


  263. Hi Sir,

    I have filed my ITR and the Tax Payble in acknowledgment comes Rs 11000. I totally agree with this amount.
    My Query is actually Can I pay the amount now on IncomeTax site and send the receipt along with Acknowledgment ? what should I do now. Please suggest.

    I have one more query for my brother. In his Form 16 , his Employer has not include the HRA because he left that company in October and could not submit the HRA Docs. Can he now fill HRA in ITR and send the docs to IT Department along with Acknowledgement .

    Thank You!!

    Vikas Singh

      1. Thanks for your reply!!

        So I will pay it now and send the reciept along with Acknowledgement. right? Or Do i need to fill revised ITR ?

        Many Thanks!!

  264. Hello sir. Should i mention exactly the same details as in my form 16. My employer havent added my insurance in deductions. My deductions 80c as in form 16 are 60000. If my insurance is 20000 pa.. can i include it in my itr 1.. or should i file deductions as 60000.. i have already filed returns with 60000 as deductions. . Can i file a revised one with deductions as 80000??

      1. Sir should i send them premium receipts along with the revised form.. also my father is a dependant can i add his insurance premium in my 80c ?

  265. Hi Basu,
    Yesterday, I filed my income tax return (ITR-1). In the return form, there is Schedul1-TDS, where ‘Income Under Salary’ was pre-filled from Form 26AS. I did not change the same and submitted the return.
    The amount which was pre-filled from Form 26AS was actually ‘Gross Salary’ paid by employer i.e. the amount was before section 10 deductions.
    Today, my friend asked me whether that amount should be ‘Gross Salary’ or ‘Salary after section 10’. Now, I am confused. I searched various sites, but, answer is different everywhere. Can you please guide me what is correct? Also, do I need to file return again in case it should be ‘Salary after section 10’?

      1. Thanks Basu. However, there was no provision to mention deduction. Since I have already submitted ITR-1 (but, not sent ITR-V yet), do I need to file again? If yes, what changes will be required please?

  266. I have filed ITR 1 for AY 14-15. However, due to some mistake I had to file revised ITR 1. I am yet to post my either original or revised return.
    However, now I came to realise that I was supposed to fill ITR2 as I have exempted income of more than Rs. 5000 u/s 10.
    Kindly advice what should i do? Should I file a revised return ITR2 or post revised ITR1 without filling ITR2?
    In case I opt to fill ITR2 then which acknowledgement no. needs to be entered i.e. of Original ITR1 or of Revised ITR1?
    Your response will be appreciated.

  267. Sir, My consultant filed my returns showing my gratuity received as exempted from tax under Schedule EI in the xml uploaded in site. but, he has missed showing my leave enchashment. But, for leave encashment he has claimed to refund from govt. that was wrongly paid by my ex employer. Now, should I file a rectification showing the leave encashment + gratuity in ITR? Consultant is not cooperating and is not giving the ITR excel he used. Can I redo everything myself? Also, leave encashment was shown earlier in form 16. please advices.

  268. Hi Basavaraj,

    In the last financial year, I was on deputation to USA from 15 Dec 2013 to 23 May 2014 and accordingly was paid in USA (USD). For the rest of the period (i.e. 1 April 2013 to 14 Dec 2013), I worked in India and paid in India (INR) itself.
    On the salary I received in USA, tax was deducted according to USA tax norms.
    Now, while filing income tax in India for AY 2014-2-15, I was not aware that since my tenure in India was more than 180 days, I will be treated as resident. Due to this unawareness I have submitted (e-filed) ITR-1 with only my India’s income part (as per Form 16 received).
    Do I need to declare my US income earned also. If yes, then can you help me with following:
    1. How can I revise my already submitted form with status as ‘Return Uploaded’?
    2. In which section of ITR-1 do I need to declare my US earned income?
    3. For what part of US income earned should I declare – from 15 Dec 2013 to 31 Mar 2014 OR from 15 Dec 2013 to 23 May 2014?
    4. Where to mention the tax deducted amount on the US earned income?
    5. I have not sent the ITR sheets to CPC Bangalore yet. So once I complete revision process, do I need to send both the original and revised ITR sheets to CPC Bangalore?


  269. Hi,
    I had a housing loan tax exemption of 1.5 lakhs, which I was supposed to mention under income from housing property with negative value. But, I deducted this amount from the income under salary head and filed the return. Now should I have file a revised return correcting both income under salary head and income from property. But, the gross total income ends up to the same figure as i had filed originally. Also, what happens if i donot post the ITR-V acknowldgement.

  270. Hi Basavaraj,

    I used ITR2 to file a return for an HUF online 2 days back. ( I haven’t sent the hardcopy as yet to Bangalore.)
    After filing it online and looking at the ITR V generated online, I noticed that I had written the wrong PAN number in the declaration section (i.e the place where we certify the place,date and where we sign). The PAN number is correct at the top of the page.

    Should I file an original return now or should I file it as a revised one and enter the E-acknowledgement number in the receipt section (of the return filed 2 days back)? And if I need to use the latter option do I need to send a hard copy of the original return or just sending the hard copy of the revised return will suffice? Please advise. (ps this is all before 31st July and I intend to file the revised return if you advise me before 31st July!)


  271. Hi Basu sir,

    Actually i made a mistake in gross salary in ITR-1 which i uploaded on 22/07/14. Now i am trying to upload corrected ITR-1 it is showing an error “only one original itr can be filed u/s 139(1). please change the section and retry” .
    Can you help me to upload revised ITR-1 with in time i.e 30/07/2014. Thanks

  272. Hi Basavaraj,

    I have filed Income Tax return in Original later and my ITR V looks perfect.
    I went to ‘My Accounts’ under online portal and reviewed the ‘ITR 1 SAHAJ’ form and reliased that the amount mentioned against “Income from Salary / Pension (Ensure to fill Sch TDS1)” is fine. But Income under Salary for column “SCH TDS1-Details of Tax Deducted at Source from Salary [As per Form 16 issued by Employer(s)]” is worng. I relaised i filled it wrong.

    Although ITR V is fine but ‘ITR 1 SAHAJ” seems wrong for column ‘Income Under Salary’ for Header- “SCH TDS1-Details of Tax Deducted at Source from Salary [As per Form 16 issued by Employer(s)]”. (due to my typing mistake).

    So i filed again my ITR as Revised and corrected the above detail (which is now corrected reflected in my ITR1 SAHAJ form under My Accounts in e-filing portal). Now, I have two ITR V (original and revised), both looks exact same (as the error was in ITR1 SAHAJ only for column “SCH TDS1-Details of Tax Deducted at Source from Salary [As per Form 16 issued by Employer(s)]” and it didn’t refect in ITR V).

    Q1: Should i sign both and send both ITR V in same envelop? (Although both looks exact same in figures)

    Q2: Anything need to worry?

    Q:3: IT e filing portal is not showing two records one as original and another one as revised for AY14-15. After they process the ITR V, will one record get automatically delete?

    Thanks in advance!!


    Now I have

    1. Sorry Q3: should be-

      Q:3: IT e filing portal is NOW showing two records one as original and another one as revised for AY14-15. After they process the ITR V, will one record get automatically delete?

  273. Hi Basunivesh,

    I filed my original IT return online, while entering tax details i did one mistake.
    My Income from salary is 902358 and Income from one House Property is 39077(Self Occupied)
    So my gross total income would come as 902358 – 39077 = 863281.

    Instead of entering all these details in ITR Form as it is,
    I have directly entered my gross total income (863281) in Income from salary field and entered 0 for Income from one House Property field

    Anyhow my gross income field is 863281 only. So it has no effect on tax payable or tax returns.

    Do i need revised submitted REVISED INCOME TAX RETURN for sake of updating amount not impacting any other thing like Payable Tax or Refund?

    As everyone knows about filling of income tax return, here time has come again to file your return for FY 2013-14. Every individual is required to file their return if their income is above Rs. 2,00,000 and for senior citizens if their income is above 2,50,000. From this financial year onwards every assessee will get rebate of Rs.2000 if their gross total income is below 5,00,000. And it is not mandatory that only one can file his/her return if income is above 2,00,000/ 2,50,000 as the case may be rather person can file his/her return if income is below taxable limit.
    So here we are to help you in filling your returns for FY 2013-14. In case any person has failed to file their return for FY 2012-13 then remember time has not passed away they can file their return now also.
    So contact us for filling your returns for FY 2012-13 as well as for FY 2013-14.
    Need Help?
    Tax Accounting Services
    Call : 7838533488
    Email : [email protected]

  275. I have filled my Income Tax return ORIGINAL once, then found there was payable tax or Rs 10/- inside, so paid the same with Challan 280 (under 300 – Self Assessment Tax) via online ICICI portal. So to include the same in ITR-V, I again filled my Income Tax return as REVISED. But later verifying same I found I made minor mistake in specifying Income other than 2885 instead 2855 leading a difference of 30/- but not leading to any further Payable Tax or Refund. Shall I revised it again just to correct the amount under field “Income Other that Salary”?

    Please advised, I am in confusion it at all required to revised submitted REVISED INCOME TAX RETURN for sake of updating amount not impacting any other thing like Payable Tax or Refund?

    Thanks a Ton.

    Niket Shah
    78744 256 18

  276. sir
    but here given above is Send both the original and revised ITR
    sheets to CPC Bangalore.I am confused . As you reply to send only revised.please help me.

      1. sir
        both ITR- V form is signed or only revised form is signed and original is send unsigned.please reply

          1. sir
            but i am confused that my original ITR FARM WAS FILLED WRONG THEN signing that mean you take responsibility of having giving wrong details.Then tell me what to do .can i sigh or not if sign which itr form will be accepted original or revised.please help.

  277. sir
    during e- filling I forget to fill my income and other detail hence e- file revised form and now I have two ITR-V form I.e original and revised which shall I send to banglore.will both are signed or only revised form is signed and send .please reply.

  278. Hi Basu , I e-filed my ITR from website( . After filing the original returns only,I noticed my mistake of giving a wrong Bank A/c number. Is there any way to edit the details of the submitted ITR. If there, Kindly share me the details so that I can give the right Bank A/c no & submit my revised ITR before the due date 30/07/14. I’d be more than happy, if any one help me find solution on this issue!!

  279. Hi

    i need some information regarding income tax filling
    last year in Sep i have changed my company and got job in another, but before leaving previous employer i have not submitted HRA proof, now i got form 16 from them but since i have not submitted the HRA proofs to them they have not deducted HRA amount from total taxable amount under sec 10

    My question is can i claim HRA amount to be deducted from total income(I have all HRA proofs in orignal with me)
    if yes then under which sec i have to deduct that as i can’t find sec 10 in ITR sahaj form

    Thanks for your help in advance

  280. Dear Sir,
    I purchased a house with a loan sanctioned in FY 2010-11. Date of completion of the house was 2012-13 and so pre-construction period is 2010-13. However, I did not claim rebate on pre-construction interest in assessment year 2013-14 for FY 2012-13 due to non-availability of possession certificate at that time but filed IPR-1 . Now I want to claim rebate on pre-construction home loan interests. My query is (1) whether I can file ITR-2 (revised) for AY 2013-14 (please note that ITR has been processes at CPC as per online status). (2) Upto which year one can claim rebate on property loss from year of possession? i.e. what is the time limit for period between year of loan sanction and year of house possession for claimimng propery loss due to interest on home loan.
    Thanks a lot.

  281. I filed my A.Y 13-14 return with in the due date, but I sent ITRV to department after 120 days. Once again I got a message from department that I have not sent the ITRV acknowledgement , hence recently I sent the acknowledgement know the status is showing as acknowledgement received after due date in IT web site.

    My question is sum refund is due for the year 2012-13 (AY 2013-14) what is the next step to get refund?

  282. Sir,
    I have done e-filing for the AY 2012-13. I forgot to send the Ack copy – Income tax return verification form. Now when I checked the ack, I noticed that I have e-filed with out including the 80C/80D deductions. So it shows as Tax payable (6-7c) as Rs.44470/-. So I thought of filing revised return and selected 17 Revised 139(5) and choosen revised. But when I submit, now I am getting the message as “The end date for filing this ITR is over”. Could you please help on what to do now?

    Thanks in advance


      1. I went through the conditions…..
        then Am I not eligible for revised return?

        1) Revised returns can be filed if you filed your original return within due date. So if you filed your return after due date then you are not eligible to file revised return.
        – as I am trying for revised return now, am i not eligible? then what to do? how to rectify to include the deductions which I missed earlier? (80C,80D)

  283. Sir,

    I have found your site more informative and useful. Thanks for the service. I have a query.

    I have filed my returns for the AY 2013-14 well in advance and within the due date. Also, it was assessed within the due date (31/07/2013). Now, while preparing the returns for the AY 2014-15, I have noticed a tax exemption clause from second house loan interest. Can I file a revised return for the AY 2013-14 for my case? Or should I go for correction? If so how and where. Kindly advise. Thanks.

    – Sahay

  284. Again the time has come when you have to assess your total income and file the income tax return.

    The last date for filing the income tax return is 31.7.2014. Please file it before the due date so as to avoid penalty and interest.
    Please contact us below to file your income tax return:
    Need Help?
    (Company India Advisors)
    Call : 09818092002

  285. I filed my income tax return for AY 2013-14 on 30/03/2014 (after due date). While uploading online income tax return I forgot to fill the details of self assessment tax deposition details in ITR-1. Now, ITR-V is showing tax payble however there is no tax payble by me. What should I do now?

  286. I filled my return for Assesment Year 2013-14 on 28/3/14 and after submitting it online I came to know from ITR-V that I have entered wrong address.
    Instead of name of Firm (Prop.) and firm address, I have mistakenly entered my home address.

    Now I want to change my address from home to Firm address.

    Can this mistake be rectify and how…??? Please help..??

    Can I revise my return and whether I have to post Orignal ITR V to CPC..??

  287. I have e-filled ITR-1 for my mother last year within due date of ITS submission date. She was having Income from pension and bank interest. After filling ITR 1, I have submitted balance Tex. Hard-copy of Tex paid Chalan with ITR sent to CPC banglore. But day before yesterday I received notice under section 139(9). Now i am confused, why they have sent this notice in-spite of paying all the liable Tex. Now i am refiling, but there addition Tex is coming as interest. please do suggest me in his scenario. Will I will have to pay interest?

  288. Dear Sir,

    I have retired from Army on 31 Dec 2012. I filed my IT Return for AY 2013-14 on-line in June 2013 and sent the ITR-V immediately, which has been acknowledged by the IT Dept CPC. I have used ITR-1 and correctly paid the tax. But I have not reflected my Retirement Benefits in ITR-1, which are totally exempted from Income Tax (like gratuity, leave encashment and commuted pension etc). So far I have not got intimation about completion of the assessment. Can I file Revised Return in ITR-2 so that I can reflect my Exempted Income. Please advise. Regards.

  289. return filed of a/y 2013-14 after due date i.e on 26.3.2014. in income part the income of a/y 2012-13 shown in a/y 2013-14.both return filed on the same day. if only a/y 12-13 itr v sent and a/y 2013-14 not send to banglre then what will be possibilities.

    after 120 days the return will become defective of a/y 2013-14/

    then i can file the return manually or to file electronically.

  290. Hi Sir,

    I have already filled income tax return for Assessment Year 2013-14. It has been processed on 27-Jan-2014 at CPC. Refund has been received also.

    But while filling it i forgot to claim the deduction under 80CCG(Rajiv Gandhi equity saving scheme sec 80CCG ). Can i now fill the revised return. If yes then please guide.


    1. Neeraj-Your FY stands for 2012-13, you can file revised return upto March 31st 2015. If you are unable to understand the above procedure then better to file the revised return with the help of tax consultant.

      1. Thanks for quick response. As you mentioned after filling revised return one should send the original and revised ITR sheets to CPC Bangalore.

        Should i sent the supporting document to take deduction for investment under 80CCG also??

  291. Sir,

    I had filed IT retun for AY 2010-11 as per the deductions at the source. But later i came to know that the tax deducted at source has been deposited at wrong pan no. so, IT has raised a demand notice in 2012 and the refund amount in the AY 2011-12 has already been recovered against the demand. Now the amount which deposited wrongly has been reflected in my account in 2013.

    Now shall i go for rectification request kindly advise. due to this the AY 2012-13,2013-14 refunds also not processed and showing pending.

    Thanks in advance.

      1. Thank you..
        I have already sent a letter with all the detais to AO. Hope the AO has received it. Is there anything i can do rather than waiting for AO response…

  292. Sir,
    I filed my return on ITR1 ONLINE for assessment 2013-14 on 30.07.2013 but I forgot to send the acknowledge ment form ITR V withn 120 days. When I sent it last month, the CPC site says that ‘ ITRV received but rejected – filing date exceeded due date……
    Do I have to again file revise return ONLINE ? If yes then after completing what are the documents i have to submit- only the ITR-V or printed revised return



      1. Thanks a lot.
        Last time I filed ONLINE. So I have to again enter every cell on excel sheet with changes on filing status or last time filled excel sheet is available on incometax site.


          1. Dear sir

            i have manually filed my ITR that respect i got a written letter that your outstanding tax is Rs 8500/-.
            And when i check my ITR i found the mistake that i forget to reduce my saving amount from the total amount.

            Now what i can do.

            please help me out from this problem


  293. hi…I forgot to update the details of self assessment details in return filed U/s 139(4). how can I update the tax details with Income Tax Department/acknowledgement in Form V. Pls suggest.

  294. had filed my income tax return online AY-2013-14 at through SUGAM ITR-4s excel sheet.
    As per knowledge best I was not make any mistake. My nature of business is private tuition & commission agent of private insurance company and my yearly total income less the 1.6 lack after deduction so as a woman I have not to pay income tax and Tax return was some amount Rs.****/= (TDS).
    BUT after uploading the return, Auto generation acknowledge download form showing some figure “interest payable u/s 234B & C” around amount Rs.****/= and “Total tax & interest payable” Rs. ****/=.
    Please let me know what to do? I cannot post the wrong Acknowledge sheet to Income tax department!!! As I know, ITR is valid only if I submit it within 120 days of filing .If not than same will be disqualified for processing. Should I fill another through a paper return? How to solve the problem?

    As per some one advice I, downloaded upto dated version of SUGAM ITR-4s excel sheet and filing all the necessary field only modified (1) return file under section > 12-after due date (2) revised return in the “Filling Status” column. When I try to press validate & xml-Generate it is showing notice “Return Type in Sheet: income details must be Original when return NOT filed under S.139(5)”
    It will be highly appreciated if you advise the same.

    1. Shikha-I think you are facing the processing hurdle while filing revised IT return. I can elaborate all the steps here. Hence if you continued to face the problems, then better to contact any tax consultant. They will guide you in a better way.

  295. Heloo Everyone

    Please help me.

    i filled my ITR for year 31.03.2011 but bymistake not sent to CPC, bangalore.

    last month i sent it to banglore and found that my ITR v is rejected. but there is my refund on that ITR.

    now what i have to do.

    please reply fast and help me.

    1. Pradeep-This rejection may be due to late submission to CPC (you need to submit within 120 days). Now the solution to this is, you need to file once again revised return for the said FY and send the acknowledgement to CPC once again.

    2. you sure it will acceptable. sorry i mean will they accept it because my refund is pending. please guide me

  296. sir
    I had filed my IT RETURN of SALARY income for FY0910/AY10-11 in time and the ITO also completed assessment.
    However my IOB Bank posted my TDS of approx Rs.9000/- for that AY in JUN-2012 which obviously I could not claim in time as my ITR was filed and assessment also completed in Sep.2012. Can I file my REVISED IT RETURN for FY09-10/AY10-11 say in OCT-2013? And if so how?

  297. hello sir
    my income tax agent have filed my e return within time for assessment year 13-14 (dated 5/08/2013) but, I found that he has put wrong total income means he showed less income whereas my income in 1,50,000 per year. I m a female. I have not sent original post till now.i said him to revised but he is saying that first u post that original ITR-V form to bangalor and after receiving there he can fill revised income tax . is it true? if not what i should to do?
    pls help me…..


  298. I accidently filed my AY 2013-2014 return against AY 2012-2013 (using the ITR1 excel for AY 2012-2013) on Aug 4th 2013. I don’t have any income in AY 2012-2013 as I was abroad. I wasn’t aware that financial year and Assessment year are different. How do I correct the AY 2012-2013 return?

    When I try to use the AY 2012-2013 ITR1 excel with zero income, I get the following message “ReturnType in sheet: Income detail should be original when return not filed under S.139(5)”; but I don’t understand this error.

    Please help!!

  299. Sir is there any solution to file revise return after filling orginal return after due date…
    plzzz help me……m in problem now…actually i have done this mistake by mistake…..

  300. Dear Sir,


    Sir i want urs advice in one of my problem.

    Sir I was doing job from 1st April 2011 to 15 th Aug 2011 in a private company. on 29 th Aug i joined one cooperative sector company and continue my job till now. in the financial year 2011-12 (Assessment year 2012-13) i filed the IT return from 29 th Aug 2011 to 31 st march 2012 after getting the form 16 of my present company because that private company is not providing me form 16 or salary certificate for the 4.5 months. but they submitted the professional tax they deducted for that period.
    now i have got a notice that i am not filling the returns from it dept to show the acknowledge or proof of filling the returns.

    Pl suggest how can i file the revised return of ass year 2012-13 and wat is its time limit.and if their is any tax liabilit how can i pay it waiting for yours reply .

    thanks and regards

    Chandresh jindal

  301. i am a defense servant whose tax is deducted at source. I filled my return online for asssessment year 2012-13 on 14-08-12. during period 1 -04 12 to 22 -04 13 I claimed HRA and inturn paid Rs 17500 to the land lords as rent./ I however did not reflect this in the return . Now what and how should I reflect this in revised ITR and what happens to the rent receipts that I have from the land lord. Apart from thius I also am repaying Rs 25000 /mth to HDFC towards a flat for which I have not got the possession. HDFC has frwarded a cerificate reflecting how much out of this goes towards repayment of the principal. Can i reflect this also in the revised return and if so under which section and how much amount.

  302. if return filed before due date and then we want to file revised return then can we change the ITR form in revised return?

      1. from following line i have understand that i have to use same execel utility and have to change before due date to revise return
        1.Open the excel file where you originally filed return.
        2.Enable the macros.
        3.Mentioned as revised return and select the Sec 139(5) instead of 139(1).

        while on following article on other website written than ITR form can be changed.

  303. In my return I failed to press the button Calculate Tax (God know why :-)) and all the tax came in refund and I have for the acknowledgement. I want to correct the mistake. Can I file Revised Return in this case?

  304. hello sir. i fill my e return based on previous e return. and it was the less amount from Current amount. should i need to fill revised return ??

  305. Hello Sir,

    I have filed the return using online mode using ITR 1, but I realsed that I had made some mistakes. I coreected the mistakes and filed a REVISED return but using ITR2 file. Now What I need to send to them the revised one or the Original one or both?

    Please reply soon.

  306. Hello Sir,

    I have filed the return within time for year 13-14 but, I found I have put wrong total income. Due to this I am getting Tax Payable value while it should be zero. I have not sent post till now. So, In that case can I fill revised income tax and do I have to post both (wrong filed and revised filed) return to income tax department.

  307. I have filed my ITR for FY 12-13 online. I have used ITR1 form to file the return. I am salaried person and earned some amount (more than Rs.10000) from Savings bank account interest. Now I have realised that I have some Non-speculative capital losses as well in the same financial year. Can I fill my revised ITR4s?

  308. I m an salaried person and having income from F&O also. which itrcform I hv to file? efiling option is having itr4s & itr1 option only. while filing in excel , which sheet I hv to show fno income(profit) ? if its loss where do I show it?

  309. Sir, I have filed original ITR1 for AY 13-14 in due time. But I have revised twice for the FY 13-14 for considering sec 80TTA. My query can I delete 1st revised return from my account and keep 2nd revised return as final against original return of AY 13-14

  310. HI..

  311. Dear Sir,
    As per point 2, Revised return can be filed at anytime before the expiry of one year from the end of the relevant assessment year or before the completion of the assessment, whichever is earlier.
    My Query is :-
    What is date of completion of assesment or how do i know assesment is completed?

  312. I have e-filed the return and received acknowledgement but I had Total Tax and Interest Payable (12 + 13) amount 548.
    I made e-payment of the Rs 548 .
    After that I am again e-filing revised return . but when I enter my income sources and