January 23, 2020

How to update EPF Date of Exit Online without employer?

Many of the employees the biggest headache was to make sure that their past employers enter the proper date of exit in EPF records. To solve this problem EPFO recently launched a facility to update EPF date of exit online without an employer.

From now onwards employee can update his date of exit (DOE) in the UAN website without the help of an employer after 2 months of leaving the job.

Before proceeding further, first, you have to understand the terms and conditions to enter the date of exit in UAN.

# The date entered is NOT EDITABLE and in case you have entered a wrong date enormously then it can be corrected only by the concerned filed officer of EPFO on the basis of a written request of the employer to the office. The date of exit, however, can not be edited after the settlement has been taken.

# In case you have entered the date of exit and withdrawn the amount, then the service length under the schemes will lapse and on any subsequent employment the service length will start afresh for any eligibility for pension and advances.

# Please note that the date of exit entered by you will be displayed to the employer and in case you are still in employment then at the time of filing of the remittances for a period after the date of exit will be shown to the employer.

# Date of exit can be a month for which the last contribution has been received. In case the employer has defaulted in payment and your date of exit is later date then you to approach the employer for updating of date.

How to update EPF Date of Exit Online without employer?

Now let us understand the process of update EPF date of exit online without employer.

# Login to your UAN member portal. Then go to the menu “MANAGE” and from the dropdown select the “Mark Exit”.

update EPF Date of Exit Online without employer

# Once you select the “Mark Exit”, then a new window will open. Here, you have to select your employment (your last EPF Account No.).

# You have to enter the date of exit in two places.  You no need to enter the exact date of exit. You can enter the date within 15 days after the date of leaving of job.

Check the last contribution month in the online passbook and identify the latest Provident Fund contribution month. Accordingly, you have to enter the date of exit.

Suppose your contribution to EPF Passbook is showing up to the month of December 2020, then you have to enter the last date of that particular month i.e. 31st December 2020 should be your exit date.

Enter Date of exit in EPF

Then you have to check the box “I have read the below points carefully”. Then proceed for the entry of date of exit.

EPF Exit Date Entry ONLINE

Do remember that you have to mention the reason for the date of exit also. The reasons listed are as below.

-Retirement- When the employee takes voluntary retirement

-Superannuation-After completing 58 years of age

-Permanent Disablement-When permanent disablement happens to EPF member

-Cession (Short of Service)-When you resign your job.

Once you enter the exit date, provided the reasons and check the box where it will show you the terms and conditions, then click on the tab “Update date of exit”.

# Click on “Request OTP”. You will receive OTP to your registered mobile number. Enter the OTP and submit for date of exit finally.

I hope this process will ease the biggest hurdle of many EPF members as due to many reasons (one may be employer closed the shop) employer not enter the date of exit. Due to which you are facing the trouble of transferring or withdrawing.

Do remember few things:-

You are allowed to update the date of exit only after the completion of 2 months from the last contribution done to your EPF account. Also, once you enter the date of exit, then you can’t change it. Hence, be careful while entering it.

I Left the job in January 2017 From Religare.

When i check my Pf Pasbook Its Showing Contributions For 02/2017.
    Transaction Date :- 23/06/2017.
    When I Check Service History Its Showing Date Of Exit :- 31/01/2017.
    Please Suggests Is This Date Of Exit Correct Or Not? If Not Correct What Is The Procedure To Correct The Same? Pls Reply..

• Dear Chetan,
      Refer the above rules at first to understand the date of exit.

2. Hello sir, my last contribution was for April 2020, but that transaction was made on 06/06/2020, now when can I mark exit after 2months or April or after 2months of 06/06/2020, kindly help.

3. I am also getting ” No contribution received, date of exit not possible ” whereas my member passbook is showing proper contributions.
    God knows what will happen to the money !!!!
    Can anyone help ???

• Dear Pd,
      Hard to predict. Better you raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

4. I have joined a new organisation and transferred the whole money from previous org to new org.
    However, my new organisation date of exit was 17-FEB-2020 and reason was short service.
    when im trying to claim it was rejected due to YOU HAVE COMPLETED 58 YEARS ON 19/08/2019 SO PLEASE CHOOSE RIGHT OPTION FOR REASON OF LEAVING(RETIR)

please suggest

• Dear Venkatesh,
      It is not an issue of exit date but your age also. Check with your employer.

5. I’m unable to view my ex employer details after updating mark exit date. I want to withdraw my pf of ex employer as i have finished 2 months from last working day, but my new employer details are showing at the portal. What needs to be done from my end?

My Last working day was 29th May 2019 but in EPFO, employer’s last contribution shows June 2019. So what should be the date of exit.
    (Note: I joined new organisation on 3rd June 2019.)

7. Dear sir
    I don’t have Contribution
    How can do date of exit

• Dear Yejju,
      Refer your last contribution and accordingly enter as I shared above.

8. My date of exit was November 2019. I had claimed PF withdrawal on April 7th 2020. Now my claim status is rejected due to the following reasons-
    1) DOL 19/11/19 contribution not in 12/19
    2)claim already settled

I’m unable to understand the reason for rejection. Could you please help me to resolve this.

9. I was joined on 9th August 2019 in the present organization ,but relieving was given on 22nd august 2019 and same was updated in EPFO also.
    When I was trying to transfer the PF account from previous employer to current employed,it is showing error.
    Can you please give suggestions how to resolve this issue.

• Dear Ravinder,
      You have to correct the exit date with the help of employer.

10. Hello sir while I am trying to update my date of exit I am getting the message that ” no contribution was made unable to update date of exit contact employer ” what to do

• No contribution was received. Date of exit updation is not possible. please contact your employer. what does this mean. Please help me in this situation .urgent need money

11. Hi sir,

I am working in contract basis. In May-2017 our contract organization had been changed . And with in a month again my contract changed to previous organization. But for the month of July-2017 i received pf contribution from both offices. Now i can’t able to transfer or withdraw my previous company amount. It shows details of previous account is different from present account, hence claim requesr couldnot process. what can i do now sir.

12. i exited on 16th dec. but portal shows only jan month to update. can i update Jan 1 ?

• Dear Rajesh,
      Check the last contribution done to EPF and accordingly update.

13. Hi Sir, i have joined in one organization and worked for 2month and left the company but in EPFO portal only showing DOJ sir DoE is not available or also sir they not updated my account details and pan no zero amount is showing. then how can I exit DoE sir.
    is there any problem if I joined to another company.

please help sir how can i exit DOE.

Even am not able to transfer also where it is saying that DOE not updated.

• Dear Niraj,
      You can enter your date of exit. Refer the above post.

14. Hi sir ,

I was resigned in previous company on march 2020 & joined into new company & absconded .There is no contribution in new company .Also i have marked exit details in UAN portal for both.
    I want to know whether it is possible to claim final settlement by online .Whenever i tried to claim in the uan portal it showing as new company details only.

Or i want to know it is possible to take final settlement of previous company by offline claim (paper work)

Please assist what shall i do sir

15. My last date of working was 20 May 2019, but my employer has contributed PF amount for the month of June and July 2019 as per the PF passbook. Due to this my online PF Withdrawal claim was rejected with following reasons : Your Claim [ Claim Id -Member ID ] has been rejected due to : 1) DATE OF EXIT WRONG AS PER CONTRIBUTION RECEIVED 2) DATE OF JOINING/LEAVING DOES NOT MATCH WITH COMPANY RECORD.
    When I checked/clicked Mark Exit feature in UAN Member Portal – no employment records message is generated.
    Any help on the next steps and process to rectify the same is much appreciated. Thanks

16. Hi sir,
    I left the job in my previous to previous company in DEC-2013. My employer still not my date of exit in PF site. A lot of time i called them to exit my servie but they did not.

Due to CORONA pandemic i want to withdraw my PF amount but i can not. In this pandemic situation Employer is still not supportive.

• I left my previous job on 31st jan 2020 and joined another company on 6th feb. My Pf contribution was made by my previous company for the month of feb and my new company made contribution in march. But my passbook also shows my previous company made a contribution of 0 rs in march. Now when I am trying to mark exit date the date options is available from 1st march. I am confused when i have joined another company in feb how can I mark exit from previous company in march. Please guide.

• Dear Dayashankar,
        It is I think an error with EPFO. Raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

• Hi Sir,

I have left the precious organization on 14th October 2019 after giving resignation but they dint except and provide me the termination letter but I did all the formalities from my side. And I joined the new company on 17th october 2019. But previous organisation has updated my DOE as 18 Dec 2019 due to which I am not able to transfer my money. I contacted them to update the date but they deny.

Please advice now what can I do in this situation?

17. Hi sir ,

I applied for pension contribution form 10c ,while selecting the form from drop-down it’s shows an error Date of joining and leaving for EPS not available but my admin updated the date of joining and leaving date for EPF correctly..

DOJ 2 Nov 2016 and DOE 28 Feb 2020

It’s correct but I’m unable to withdraw the pension contribution 10c form ..

• Dear Bivin,
      Wait for their approval of the data. Otherwise, raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

18. Dear Sir, I left the job on feb 14th 2020, and I’ve received the PF on March month also, so my question is which month I can update the exit date on my PF account. Pls suggest

19. Hi sir,
    I left the job in my previous company in NOV-2017, and joined present company in DEC-2017. But in previous company they marked as JAN 2018 as EXIT and they contributed pf money also for that extra two months. So, DEC 2017 and JAN 2018 i received pf contribution from both offices. Now i can’t able to transfer my previous company amount. It shows details of precious account is different from present account, hence claim requesr couldnot process. what can i do now sir.

20. Hi sir,

I have joined a company on 28th march 2020 unfortunately I couldn’t work their so my last working day is 5th of April my old pf amount is on hold unable to withdraw and I joined the new company I don’t know whether my pf amount is possible to transfer as still is not updated on my pf account date of exit by this one month worked for the old company.

• Dear Roja,
      You can use the same EPF and UAN in your new organization.

21. My EPF (PF Passbook) is not updated for April 2020. Is there any delay in the passbook update due to COVID-19?
    Please help

I left my company in 2015 and has been working as a freelancer and haven’t joined any other company…I applied for an advance claim, but it seems advance claim is only for active PF employees. I though of going for settlement, but DOE is not updated, I tried using Mark Exit, but it says “No contribution received, Date of Exit update not possible, please contact employer”. Its been over 5 years, now i can’t contact employer, so what should i do to make a settlement claim. Any help is appreciated..

Shiva…

23. Sir,I have worked in company for 10 day then I leave so no pf was contributed so how I can update date of exit

• Hi Sir, My position also same, i have joined in one organization and worked for 15 days and left the company and joined in another company but when am trying to udpate DOE it is saying that No PF contribution recieved so can not update.

Even am not able to transfer also where it is saying that DOE not updated.

Could you please help me on this how this issue get resolve?

• Dear Upender,
          Better to create new one with new employer than using this idle EPF.

• Thanks sir.

24. Dear Sir
    I regret to inform you that there is no contribution in my pf last two months.but when I am going to do my mark of exit..it is showing same like date of exit can only be updated after 2 months of last contribution made by the employer.. actually.what exactly happing…can you explain me…..

• Sir when i try to Mark exit showing this message
        “no contribution was received date of exit updation is not possible” pleasr help because of our company closed no one emppoyer working there.

25. I have a PF account in my previous company where Last contribution showing in PF portal October 2019, and I left that organization on 27th Feb 2020. Where our organization have not paid contribution till Jan 2020 as off today. Now I am working in a company, and due to Covid 19 issues I need to withdraw amount from PF. But i am not able to transfer amount from my previous company as they have not yet marked DOE. I mailed them several times to update PF and mark DOE but they did not response. Now if i provide from my end DOE, on which date i left like 27th Feb 2020 then my PF amount from previous employer can be transferred or untill or unless they are not paying their contribution till January 2020 till the time i can’t update my DOE date ? Please suggest.

• Dear Jakir,
      If you are confident that they transfer then enter the Feb otherwise October.

Please tell me if Employee is marked exit on PF website before remmitance by employer , can they still deposit PF contribution for month of exit.

Your urgent reply will he helpful.

thanks
    Asha

27. dear sir,

in my case not update any details of DOJ and DOe BOTH ARE STILL NOT UPDATE SO IN MARK EXIT WINDO IS NOTFOUND ANY DETAILS

I joined an organisation on 07th June,2017 which i absconded on 3rd August, 2017. I remained unemployed for few months and later I joined another organisation on 9th October,2017. I am still working there.
    My previous employer has marked incorrect DOE as April, 2018 because of which I am unable to transfer the PF balance. Moreover, he is not willing to give me a joint declaration as I absconded his organisation (despite the fact that there was no bond or contract).
    Please help me in this regard.

I worked with an IT company from 22SEP2011 to 26MAY2017. However they have entered incorrect Date of Exit in the UAN. Then I have contacted the company’s PF team, then after multiple follow ups last year they shared the Joint declaration letter to update DoE. I have updated and sent back to them. Then when they couriered my forms to Chennai regional PF office they got the response that they are not handling the manual documents and the company PF team sent back the documents to me and asked me to send the documents to Chennai PF office. I am worried if I send the documents, will they be really taken care or thrown into some shelf. I have the kept the forms with me as it is hard to get the attestation on joint declaration again and again from my previous employer. Please help me in correcting my Date of Exit and proceed with transfer pf account.

• Dear Sathish,
      If you are worried about their handling, then personally go and resolve the issue.

30. This article was very useful. Please let me know if my LWD was in Jan 2020 and last contribution made was in Feb 2020. I am still not able to see option to mark exit date myself. How do I go about it,

• Dear Priya,
      Your date of exit should be Feb 2020. If you are unable to do that, then approach the employer.

I absconded from a company on 12th Jan due to some personal reason and joined a new company on 13th Jan however they have paid the salary to me for 16 days(i.e. till 16th Jan). I thought of marking the exit date in EPF portal by myself and marked 31st Jan as my exit date under impression that I can give any date of Jan Month. Now I am unable to transfer my old PF account to new one. As per the current organization my DOJ is 13th Jan. What should I do?

Actually my relieving date of my previous company was 06th Nov’18 and the last contribution shown in passbook upto December with less amount, value of my working period 6days. At the same time my current company contribution starts in same December month(Current company sate of join 12th Nov’18).
    So how will enter my date of exit in my previous company. Is it 31st Dec or exact date 06th Nov.
    Please help me to understand. Thanks in advance!

• Adding the below ..

After logged in passbook page it’s shown the last contribution date as Feb-2019 with zero value. So now please advise which date I will enter. Is there any problem if i enter the 28th Feb 19 as date of exit. But my current company contribution started December itself?

• Dear Venkat,
        Obviously there are issues. Check these with your current employer.

• Dear Venkat,
      I already cleared this doubt in the above post. Please refer once again.

33. Hi sir,
    I left the job in my previous company in Oct-2019 but now to enter date of exit it’s showing Last contribution made in Jan-2020. If I enter jan-2020 as exit date is their any problem?

• Dear Manjunath,
      If the last contribution is on Jan 2020, then you will not be allowed to enter October 2019. Hence, you have no option but to enter Jan 2020.

34. Sir date leaving update Karne par dikh raha no possible please contact employer ye kaise Hoga sir please help

• Dear Vikash,
      If it is not possible, then approach the regional EPFO.

35. no contribution was received date of exit updation is not possible please contact your employer is shown while adding exit date

• o contribution was received date of exit updation is not possible please contact your employer is shown while adding exit date

36. Hi Thanks for all the info published in the blog.

However I want to ask something which I’m facing for last few months. I have worked for unexempted pf company for 6 yrs and have accumulated some pf balance then I moved to a exempted pf trust company. I did not knew about all these nitty gritties of transferring pf from one org to other, however I did fill up the transfer request form from the previous company to the new company. But to my surprise, now I have realized that the pf amount of the previous company is not transferable or am able to withdraw, because the previous company has not marked my exit dates in the system. Now by the time I joined my New Organisation, my previous company had got sold off to some company and that company also had been purchased by a 3rd new company(however, this 3rd company is still in existence).

Now I’m unable to either withdraw or request for transfer of the accumulated pf balance. I tried contacting the previous employer HR Manager, but he is also unable to help in this regard.

Please let me know how to get my balance transferred or withdrawn ?

RR

• Dear RR,
      If you have UAN login, you can enter the exit date online. Check for the help of regional EPFO.

37. much needed info, thanks

I have 2 PF account, i want to exit from one account and merge with the other. The problem is my previous employer has not paid PF for 9th months of my salary and I have left the job already. I wont be able to exit the account unless my previous employer adds pf in my account, kindly suggest what i should do in this situation.

• Dear Sarika,
      No option but to raise an issue with EPFO Grievance Cell Online.

39. My current company for past four years does not have EPF contribution since we are less than six people. I have previously worked for four years in another organization which had PF contribution? Can i withdraw that PF and whether it will be taxable?

• Dear Rahul,
      Yes, you can withdraw. If the service is less than 5 years, then it is taxable.

• OK… Thanks…what do the tax authorities consider as period of service ?since I have 4 years of service with PF contribution and 4 years without PF contribution. Will they consider 4 years of PF non contribution as something out of employees control and therefore non taxable since service is for eight years ?

• Dear Rahul,
          It is taxable income for you as it is less than 5 years contribution.

can you give me clarification of another scenario, my last working month is April, 2019 and i want to withdrawal full amount but for this i did not follow mark exit process. when i will go to claim so a error message appear that “your KYC bank updation is pending on 14/12/2018 from co. name for approval,
    in this case what should i do for withdraw my amount as soon as possible. KYC updated. i can not coordinate my last employer.
    kindly give solution regarding following points:
    * i will have to follow the process of Mark Exit to withdraw money or not.
    * is there any online option to approve bank details from my side or what will be the process.
    * what is the full process i have to do in this scenario.

• Dear Akshiv,
      The issue is not updating bank details. If your employer not helping you, then visit the regional EPFO and update the same.

41. i tried update my date of exit in my uan portal but it is showing ,No contribution was received.date of exit updation not possible, please contact your employer. what do now

• Dear Subhash,
      I think it is an issue with employer. Check whether they deposited to your EPF or not.

• Hi Sir, I left company A and date of exit has been already updated as 15/12/2019, and last contribution was 11/12/2019. And then I joined new Company B on December 2nd, worked for a month and then in the first week of december i left Company B due to personal issues. But i got one month(December) salary from company B, but Pf contribution has not been made till today. In UAN portal I was getting a pop up saying date of exit cannot be updated since no contribution received. But now i am getting an option to update date of exit for company B. So i am confused which date to update as DOE, since no contribution was made from company B. Can i consider last contribution from company A while updating DOE for company B ?!

And another question, if the last contribution is december 2019, can i update DOE as Feb 2020 ?!

• Dear Rudolf,
          If no contribution was received earlier, then how can you enter exit date.

• Sir, before i didnt get an option to update.. since i got the option to update now for the new organisation..i was thinking if i can update considering the last contribution received from previous organisation. Can I ?!

42. This is really a good article and they way you explained is so simple, yet I need to understand one scenario. I left company A and joined a company B 2nd of Dec, again I left within a month 7th of Jan, due to health issues faced because of company timings (night shifts), so I joined another company, say it is company C on 8th of Jan, without informing company B. Now, I got paid for second month PF from company I left (that is B).
    #1) Will I able to update my exit details as 7th Jan, say if the PF paid by company I left (that is B) is on 21st Jan.?
    #2) My new companies salary is not yet credited, hence PF is not generated yet, however, after new PF generates from company C, from which PF account amount will get transfers from company A or from company B.?
    #3) Will my new company C needs to send a PF transfer request, to company B or to company A.?
    #4) Will my current company C able to access UAN portal.?

• Dear Mezdha,
      1) In that case the exit date should be 31st January.
      2) Generating EPF will not automatically transfer your EPF. You have to request.
      3) Not company but you to EPFO.
      4) Yes.

• Hi Sir,
        Our company closed August 30 2016, But when Mark exit date showing error message : No contribution was received date of exit update is not possible please contact your employer

Please help (Our no one employer working this company)

• Dear Dileep,
          I think they have not contributed any EPF amount to your account. Better to approach the company.

• Sir but my passbook showing my all contributed amount