February 3, 2017

How to check CIBIL credit score online for free?

Recently RBI made it mandatory to provide one free annual credit report to individuals. Now based on this, you can check CIBIL credit score online for free. This I think the best move.

Even now other credit rating agencies like Equifax or Experian also started to provide this facility. This free facility will be available from 1st Jan, 2017.

What is the history and full form CIBIL?

CIBIL is the Credit Information Company (CIC) founded in August 2000. Along with CIBIL, there are few more like Equifax or Experian. The full form (or long form) of CIBIL is “Credit Information Bureau of India Limited”. This is India’s first credit information company.

It collects and maintains records of an individual’s payments related to loans and credit cards. These records are submitted to CIBIL by banks and other financial institutions, on a monthly basis. This information is then used to create Credit Information Reports (CIR) and credit scores which are provided to credit institutions in order to help evaluate and approve loan applications. CIBIL was created to play a critical role in India’s financial system, helping loan providers manage their business.

Such information is later used to create Credit Information Reports (CIR) or credit scores which are provided to credit institutions and individuals. This will helps to evaluate or approve the loan of individuals.

What is the meaning of Credit Score or Rating?

A credit score is a number that shows an individual’s creditworthiness. Usually, banks or lenders use this credit score to evaluate the probability of whether an individual repay his debts or not.

Hence, this is one of the utmost criteria that to keep higher credit score.  It contains below reports.

• It contains your past and present credit history.
  • Today Banks and Financial Institutes sanction loan based on your credit history. So a good score will help you to get loans sanctioned easily.
  • You can follow the discipline in future by analyzing the current score.
  • It helps you to understand your credit worthiness.
  • It will automatically understand you whether to go ahead for fresh credit or not.
  • Usually, 750 to 800+ range of score is considered as a good score.

What type of issues affects your Credit Score?

• Irregular Loan Re-Payment.
  • Cheque bounce in past.
  • If you default your credit card bill.
  • The Higher number of unsecured loans such as personal loan and credit cards.
  • Higher the rate of application for unsecured loans.
  • If you are defaulter for your friend’s loan for whom you are acted as guarantor.
  • Using your credit card limit fully.

How to improve your score?

• Never default your EMI or Credit card bills. Pay them regularly without fail and within a stipulated period.
  • Don’t try to overburden yourself with the number of loans. If your credit score is good then banks will usually be ready to sanction more loan than what you actually asked for. But maintain strict limit based on your requirement.
  • Avoid having multiple unsecured loans and credit cards on a single name.
  • Always collect “No due Certificate” from your banker after closing the loan.
  • Keep some distance while applying for fresh loans, usually a 6-12 months gap.
  • Never be a guarantor to your friend or relatives. Because it will automatically affect your scoring if they default.
  • Always try to utilize the lesser than specified limit on your credit cards.
  • Never try to run away from your loans. Try to settle them as soon as possible in an amicable way with your banker.

How to check CIBIL credit score online for free?

Now you completely understood the importance of credit score. Also, you may now be feeling happy that RBI made it mandatory to all Credit Information Companies to provide one credit report a year at free of cost.

Below I will explain you the procedure of how to check CIBIL credit score online for free.

# Visit Free CIBIL Report Score Page. This homepage looks like below.

check CIBIL credit score online for free

In this page, at the lower side, you will find the line “Click here to try your Free Annual CIBIL Score & Report“. Click on this.

# The new window will open where you have to provide your Email Address, Date of Birth, Gender and also PAN card number. Then click on Submit tab after entering the Captcha and also clicking on to accept the terms and conditions. The screen looks like below.

CIBIL Free Report

# Once click on Submit tab, the next screen looks like below. Here, you have to fill your full name, identify proof you submitted (PAN number) and provide your address and contact details as below.

CIBIL Online Details Filling

# Once you fill above data and click on Submit tab, then the pop-up window will open. Here, you have to click on “No, thanks”.

Free CIBIL Report

# A congratulation message will pop-up as below and requesting you to login to myCIBIL.

myCIBIL

# Now you have to go to myCIBIL login page.

myCIBIL Login

# Once you log in, then you will get the below home screen where you will notice your credit score as below.

CIBIL Score

# Under View Report you are able to see personal information, contact information, Account information (existing and past credit history) and Enquiry information (list of banks who asked for your credit report). The screen looks like below.

CIBIL Credit Report Online

This is how you can check CIBIL credit score online for free. Hope this information will be helpful to you all in understanding and analyzing your credit score in a better way.

Which is the best credit score?

750-900-Excellent Score and indicates the healthy financial life of an individual in repaying his credit. You will get loans at competitive price

700-750-Fiar enough but can get loan will less competitive price.

550-700-Low score and indicates delays or irregularities in repayments in the past.

300-500-Lowest score and indicates irregular payment history.

I have already written a post regarding how to improve your score. Refer the same at “How to improve CIBIL Credit score?“.

1. Hi Basavraj,

After getting one free report, I tried to access another free report by existing credentials, after one year, and but it’s redirecting to payment page, not showing cibil score? Why is it so?

2. Hi Basu,

When we say one report per year, the year is financial year APR-MAR or a normal year JAN-DEC.

Nicolas

• Thanks Basu

3. Don’t ever go with free policy gimmick by paisabazaar it will affect your credit score.

• Ashish-Thanks for sharing your views. But may I know how it will affect one’s credit score?

Thanks a lot for the information , i tried both paid and free approach to get my CIBIL score.
    I was thru with all the steps you mentioned, but i dint get ” A congratulation message will pop-up as below and requesting you to login to myCIBIL.” instead i got
    “We are unable to authenticate you online at this time.

For us to confirm your Identity and Address Proof and process your request, please upload your ID and Address Proof at https://www.cibil.com/submitpersonaldocs/consumerkycUpload.action?id=6287fbd9-6f94-4fe8-8a03-66b199a0cac4

As mentioned i have uploaded KYC documents, so when can i expect my report shared ? please help me i am in need to get Home loan, which is pending because of some loans on my name which actually i dont have

• Kalpana-It usually takes 1-2 days. If still they not update your KYC, then call them personally and make sure that you get it. If CIBIL not providing you that, then you can do the same with other credit reporting agencies like Experian, Equifax or Highmark.

5. Just realized yesterday, after an email from CIBIL, that my (free) subscription on myCIBIL website expires early next month, i.e. only 3 months of FREE subscription. Isn’t this against RBI guidelines, which makes it mandatory for CIBIL to provide ONE FREE Credit Report to an individual per year ? Does it mean I have to become a paid member of CIBIL to avail my Credit Report next year ?

• Ramesh-Whether you are CIBIL subscriber or not, one FREE report condition apply to you also.

6. Hi Basu,

I have one question: Is the Credit Report giving by Paisabazaar.com is equivalent to CIBIL?
    Can you please check and confirm? I checked their but don’t know where it is acceptable by banks or not. Please help.

• Puneet-Why to rely on middlemen then CIBIL itself providing you the report at free of cost once in a year? Also, such middlemen may use your data for their own marketing usage. Hence, never rely upon.

7. Nice post…. i check my cibil score for free…… but its once a year….. in my login area how will i come to know when i am eligible to access my next free report ?

8. Mr Basavaraj – After referring to my Credit Report on CIBIL website in Feb’17 (after I read your original post) I Raised Dispute through my login on their website for critical changes in my PAN & Bank details. It’s been almost 2 months and I haven’t got any response to my disputes. I did get an email from CIBIL when I raised the Disputes online, and was assured that it would be resolved by concerned organizations within 30 days. However, even today when I checked the “Dispute Status” option within my login on CIBIL website, it mentions it as “closed” while my CIBIL Report remains the same online. I also tried reaching them on 022-66384600 (mentioned in their email as their Tel. No.) but it simply keeps ringing after getting “transferred to operator”.

Would be helpful if you can provide email ID &/ contact nos of CIBIL where I can follow up on my Disputes raised online. Emails offering loans etc have increased after I regd myself on CIBIL in Feb’17 for the Free Credit Report, so seems they are only concerned about soliciting business, and want people to opt for paid membership with ‘additional features’.

• Ramesh-The only information that I too having is ONLY whatever contact details they explained in their portal.

9. Although i was able to download the report and see the score i am not clear how the score has been worked out. Can one contact cibil vide phone to understand how the calculation has been arrived at. I feel the cibil score is on the lower side.

10. This information is really very very helpful.
    Thanks Basavaraj for creating the awareness.
    I regularly follow your blog.
    It really helps a lot..

11. Hi ,
    How secure this site is. I didn’t find the SSL secure symbol for this.
    Can you please advice about the risk / and preventive steps before submitting the personal credentials.

Nihar.

12. Very Nice And important Piece of Information Thanks A ton

13. Thanks Basavaraj. I verified my CIBIL score for free and happy to know that my score is now at 781
    It was around 756 in March 2016 and paid 500 for the report.

Kudos on your initiative to spread the word and create awareness.

I filled in relevant form on the CIBIL website, just to check my score. While the score was top notch, i was shocked to see the following

– Closed credit cards were reported as active
    – Closed salary accounts were reported as active
    – Home loan closure was reported accurately (Thank God!)

Once a person authenticates his credentials and logs in, he/she has the option to ‘raise a dispute’ against each entry. The disputed entries are shared with the relevant bank/institution for confirmation, and the consumer is alerted of the response. In some cases, the reporting is corrected, and in some others, the consumer is asked to contact the bank.

Lastly please note – When you apply for a credit card, the card company may ask for your office extension number. These cos share this info too with CIBIL – so don’t be surprised if you receive a call asking if you need a personal loan or credit card -AT YOUR DESK!!

Suggest all readers to utilize this opportunity to check their details and take steps to correct the same, wherever necessary!

• Raghavendra-Thanks for your valuable inputs. It helps all readers and me too.

15. Hi Basu,
    Thanks a ton for sharing this new feature in CIBIL. I am glad they are finally being transparent to customers. I have recently checked my Equifax credit score from creditmantri website as CIBIL wanted Rs500 to share my score.
    Got a quick question: In the Enquiry Information page, there is a column named “Enquiry Amount”. Is it the amount the lender has checked my eligibility against?

16. Thank you for the post.

17. Thanks for the useful post

18. Excellent article……as always!!! Thanks for posting it. I have a suggestion to make….while reading this post on my mobile or tab, there is no provision to share this article on whatsapp. There is a facebook sharing option ,but not whatsapp. This article is too valuable to not sharing it with others. kindly add a whatsapp sharing option.

• Sreekumar-Thanks for your update. Surely I activate that option soon.

19. Hi Mr. Basavaraj – Thanks for sharing this information, which enabled me to check my credit report on CIBIL website. I noticed a few discrepancies (including my PAN details) and wanted to have them corrected through the “Raise a Dispute” option but it doesn’t allow removing / editing certain details (though these fields turn editable on selecting). How does one get the information mentioned in the Credit Report, including Personal Info corrected ?
    Ramesh

• Thanks Mr. Basavaraj, for sharing the link to get errors in CIBIL Report corrected, though I managed to do so this evening, and also got an email from CIBIL with particulars of corrections requested by me, and that it takes approx. 30 days for the same. RBI should have made this CIBIL Report available Free of cost to all individuals years ago, as it appears that of my (incorrect) details have been in the CIBIL records for years.
        Also, as in case of Aadhar, I wish CIBIL had a facility to have corrections made online, with individuals uploading the supporting documents, instead of CIBIL having to depend on various institutions for the corrections, which could take forever.

• Ramesh-Initiatives just started also awareness about credit report is still in nascent stage in India. Hence, it takes time.

20. Thanks Basu. I checked and my score is 857.

• Raja-Great to know and share with your friends about this FREE option.

21. Hi Basu,

Thanks for the article i got to know my CIBIL scores by following above article , i remember paying around Rs. 400, 4 years back to get the CIBIL scores.

iam following your blog for past few months and i must appreciate you do great job and help the people in dealing with their finance planning in much better way.

Jut one thing to highlight same article published in Srikant blog as well ..:)

22. Respected Sir,
    As of now, I did not know that there would be a agency which is supplying our credit score and information to the Banks. The knowledge and information, which You give us through you blog is valuable and helpful to us. Thanks a lot for this very nice article.

23. When I tried this first time yesterday i.e 3.2.17, it is telling sorry your credit report already downloaded on 3.2.17 and refuse to give. I think it is gimmick they are doing to get us the payment from Us. However I am able to create a user id and password and able to view the score!! My score is 857 …..

• Guru-It is not gimmicking. But maybe some tech error when you received that message. It is as per RBI guidelines they are providing it. Anyhow you checked your score, then why to worry 🙂

Thanks a lot for this very nice article. It was indeed very helpful and was right in time when required urgently by me.

regards
    RAJESH PAI

25. Wow. Thank you so much. Really helpful.

26. Fantastic post… very useful

27. HI Baswaraj,

Once we click “No, Thanks”, it take us to multiple pop up window asking for Alternate email ID page and credit card details, etc.. (which we can skip), once we skip and go ahead, it gives a regret message as below :

Sorry! We are unable to authenticate you online at this time.

To help us process your request for CIBIL TransUnion Score (and CIR), please upload the scanned copy of you ID Proof and Address Proof using the link provided below.

Post successful verification of your documents, we will dispatch the Pin Mailer containing the login credentials for your myCIBIL account to your registered address.

• Sanjeev-You can provide some alternative email id and also any credit card you are holding. It is for validating your credit.

28. Good! Checked my score its 808