It is the wonderful project started by Revenue Department of Karnataka for creating property ownership records for cities and towns of Karnataka. This record is a major proof of ownership of any property. Eventhough it started earlier on pilot base in cities like Mysore, Bellary, Mangalore, Hubli-Dharwad and Shimoga, soon it will be going to started in Bangalore too. So let us have a look at it’s features.
This project was started to claim the genuine ownership on property. It is actually good for both current property owners as well as for future buyers. It is different from khata as it is maintained only for collection of tax on property. Hence having khata means no authenticity of ownership on any property. This will actually benefit to owners of property as this document authenticate their ownership, for Banks while giving loan, for courts in disposing the cases related to property in a faster way, for municipality as it makes them easier for keeping eye on dimensions of building constructed and for tax collection and for Government in policy making.
UPOR or PR Card is one and same and remember that it is not any smart card but is just a certificate. It consists of five important details about the property.
- Property details-like number and it’s area
- Ownership details-It give the history of all ownership and through which process current ownership became.
- Map-Dimensional location of the property with neighboring property will makes it easier in locating the property.
- Loan-This gives the information about the existing loans.
- Any rights or restrictions on the property.
As told above this card is required when one intend to sell the property, while taking loan or for local bodies in collection of property tax. This card will be available to all property owners who owned them legally but not encroachment. But suppose your builder did any encroachment then the individual apartment owner will not get any PR Card. In such cases only left out option for apartment owners is to sue their builders. About security of this card, they are claiming it as totally secured. But let us see how it unfolds in coming days. They are also claiming it as web based service in viewing property records.
Where this PR card is useful for you?
- While selling the property, sub-registrar will ask for this card to authenticate your property.
- While taking loan on this property
- While constructing or modifying the building, your local authorities will ask this card.
- This card is required while applying for partition or inherent claiming in court.
- While giving surety on behalf of someone to police or court.
Revenue sites will also get this PR card but with clear marks on the card. Revenue sites are those sites which are converted from agriculture land to non agriculture land without approval of proper authority. For apartments stair case or common terrace nobody will get PR card for these areas. But for places like parking area or playing area PR card will be issued saying the right of all apartment owners.
I am not sure when it start in Bangalore but hoping it soon. For further clarification, you can visit UPOR.