Today EPFO trustees decided to offer higher interest rates for all EPF subscribers for the year 2013-14 than the previous year. They also came up with few new announcements.
EPFO trustees decided to offer a 8.75 % interest rate to all subscribers for the year 2013-14, which is more than 0.25% to previous year interest rate. But to make you aware, this interest rate declaration by trustees is not the final. Trustees recommendation will be forwarded to the Finance Ministry, which is the final approval authority. But it is presumed that the Finance Ministry will also approve this considering the upcoming general elections.
Below are the few more announcements of trustees.
- Employees’ Deposit Linked Insurance Scheme, 1976 (EDLI) maximum benefit increased by 20%. Currently the maximum benefit is Rs.1,30,000 in case of death of the employee during the service period.
- EPF and EDLI administrative charges are increased.
EPF historical interest rate since 1952
- For FY 1978-79 actual interest rate was 8.25%+0.50% (as a bonus). But this bonus will be applicable to the members who did not withdraw any amount from the account during the period of 1976-77 and 1977-78.
- For FY 2000-01, interest rate will be 12% for the period of April-June and 11% from June onward on monthly running balance.
- For FY 2004-05 actual interest rate was 9%+0.50% (Golden Jubilee Interest Rate bonus).
- For the detailed method of EPF interest calculation method, you can view my previous post “How EPF (Employees’ Provident Fund) interest is calculated?”